PDA

View Full Version : Temporary Boot for Missing Shoe

ballisticgirl
Nov. 1, 2011, 12:44 PM
Hey All!

My guy is going on a 14 hour haul today and as luck would have it, he threw his front left shoe last night. Farrier is out of pocket and in a bit of a panic wondering what to do for his journey.

What do you all advise? Would running out and buying a rubber temporary boot to throw over his hoof do any good? Should he just go barefoot?

Appreciate your experiences and best practices. : )

Carolinadreamin'
Nov. 1, 2011, 12:50 PM
I bought a pair of cavallo easy boots (with the additional pastern protection sock/tube) for when my guy would occasionally throw a shoe and we would have to wait a day or two for the farrier. However, he was out in a paddock 24/7, so my concern was always to protect that hoof and protect from any stone bruises. I am not sure about what concerns there are for hauling. Good luck!

alittlegray
Nov. 1, 2011, 12:50 PM
If he's just going to be standing around, he'd get the diaper and duct tape treatment here and a new shoe when he gets where he is going. It shouldn't hurt him to be without for one day but I would pad and wrap the hoof so he's not standing "Short" on one foot while trying to balance on the trailer.

but, that's just me.

ballisticgirl
Nov. 1, 2011, 01:00 PM
Thanks everyone! I've never done the diaper and duct tape thing, I think I'll go the temporary boot route. : )

ToTheNines
Nov. 1, 2011, 01:00 PM
I agree with the above poster, who said pad and wrap i.e, the duct tape route. I would be nervous about a boot rubbing, turning, or coming partly or all the way off.

Bogie
Nov. 1, 2011, 01:03 PM
I always have had a couple of boots in different sizes for emergencies.

Cavallo boots are great but are sold in pairs. Easyboots are still sold singly so might be a better choice.

ParadoxFarm
Nov. 1, 2011, 01:09 PM
I, too, use Cavallo boots. I have 3 different sized pairs. I also use them for trail riding my barefoot horses. Love them.

But, agreed, in a pinch, the temporary route will be fine. I'd just recommend stopping and checking on the horse more often than normal, and bring extras in case you need to change it out, fix it, etc.

Herbie19
Nov. 4, 2011, 08:37 PM
I LOVE BOA boots. Pricey, but worth every penny. We even use them for turnout if a horse has lost a shoe. That being said, if my horse lost a shoe and was only going to be in a stall or the trailer I would use a diaper, a vet wrap and duct tape. Easy pleasy.

naters
Nov. 6, 2011, 01:53 PM
Www.equicast.us is great stuff to have on hand.

doublesstable
Nov. 6, 2011, 02:20 PM
Duct tape should be in everyones tack box. You don't want the hoof to chip and it may because the hoof is used to having a shoe on it.

Be safe and tape it up.

If you want to get hoof boots you need to measure the hoof and purchase according to the boot companies recomendation. I like the Easyboot Epics. But I don't like my horse wearing them for a long period. They are good to have on hand but for a short period duct tape works fine and doesn't cost you $70.00 a hoof.