PDA

View Full Version : GM takes Winyamaro For a Spin

Celeritas
Nov. 1, 2011, 08:16 AM
http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/american-excellence-george-morris-rides-winyamaro

George recently got on Catherine Haddad's horse at Gladstone and showed off his ability to passage, piaffe, and do 1 and 2-tempi changes. Make sure to watch the YouTube clip, it's a treat!

Personal Champ
Nov. 1, 2011, 08:19 AM
I just read/watched this - too cool!

Tasker
Nov. 1, 2011, 08:22 AM
Loved the blog & video! What a treat to watch! :)

morganpony86
Nov. 1, 2011, 08:44 AM
Loved the blog & video! What a treat to watch! :)

:yes:
It was also really neat to see someone teaching him for a change. You forget that even the rockstars don't know everything.

Reddfox
Nov. 1, 2011, 08:58 AM
This just made me smile to watch GM so obviously having fun! What a treat!

MHM
Nov. 1, 2011, 09:06 AM
It was also really neat to see someone teaching him for a change. You forget that even the rockstars don't know everything.

I think that's what sets the top people apart in the first place. They are always happy to learn more, given the opportunity. :yes:

Brydelle Farm
Nov. 1, 2011, 09:33 AM
Love it!! ;)

fair judy
Nov. 1, 2011, 10:36 AM

Mr. Morris has EVER been the student. He learns with every lesson given, every breath taken and every day of his life. He is self effacing, generally nothing like the prima donna so many make him out to be.

leilatigress
Nov. 1, 2011, 12:04 PM
I am seriously impressed with his ability to process the ques so quickly and get what he asked for immediately. If only I could figure out how to do that!

fair judy
Nov. 1, 2011, 01:04 PM
It should come as no surprise that GM has such terrific dressage skills, I recall Jessica Newberry Ransehousen as being a regular visitor as his guest often at OMF as far back as the late 1960's. :cool:

alittlegray
Nov. 1, 2011, 01:10 PM
I love this! It's a great example of the idea that even the best can always learn something else. He looks like he is just having such a downright good time, too!

monstrpony
Nov. 1, 2011, 01:28 PM
I seriously doubt that's the first time GM has sat on a PG horse, nor that he was "learning" anything new--perhaps revisiting after a bit of time, yes. I suspect he's forgotten more about riding at that level than most of us will ever know!

M. O'Connor
Nov. 1, 2011, 01:31 PM
The link won't work for me!
:no:

Celeritas
Nov. 1, 2011, 01:34 PM
I don't think he was learning anything new either, but it's still nice to see him having a good time and another top rider being willing to "share" her horse. It really emphasizes the point that a true horseman can learn from and appreciate disciplines other than our own, and that HPs and DQs really can get along! :)

Renn/aissance
Nov. 1, 2011, 01:35 PM

Try this one. http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/american-excellence-george-morris-rides-winyamaro

Alternatively, the blog post has now hit the most popular list on the sidebar, and it's also on the COTH homepage.

Sidenote: I LOVE Winyamaro, big forelock included!

Celeritas
Nov. 1, 2011, 01:35 PM

fixed it, sorry, I was posting from my iphone this morning and I have trouble copy and pasting sometimes!

Seal Harbor
Nov. 1, 2011, 01:43 PM
Try this Mary

http://chronofhorse.com/article/american-excellence-george-morris-rides-winyamaro

LSM1212
Nov. 1, 2011, 01:50 PM
Loved it.... GM was giggling a bit like a kid in a candy store.

:)

I'd LOVE to have that opportunity but would be no where near as good, that's for sure.

JenEM
Nov. 1, 2011, 02:20 PM
Watching that was a lovely way to start my day, and got me to bust out the dressage saddle to ride this morning :) Definitely not as much fancy footwork as GM's ride, but a good reminder of why it's important!

I suspect with a very few more rides, you could send him into the GP ring and he'd do quite well.

MintHillFarm
Nov. 1, 2011, 03:01 PM
I think he would do well in the GP ring too!

He's so elegant on a horse - good riding is good riding!

Top Knot
Nov. 1, 2011, 03:53 PM
Loved this. Loved the pony too!

War Admiral
Nov. 1, 2011, 07:18 PM
I seriously doubt that's the first time GM has sat on a PG horse, nor that he was "learning" anything new--perhaps revisiting after a bit of time, yes. I suspect he's forgotten more about riding at that level than most of us will ever know!

This. GM is from the age when one was NOT considered a "well-rounded horseman" unless one was at least *passingly* familiar with other disciplines. ISTR GM saying back in the 1970s that every equitation rider *should* be able to turn in a respectable 2nd level dressage test (the oldskool, not dumbed-down 2nd level test, that is!) and they sure can't now. :sigh:

tradewind
Nov. 1, 2011, 08:59 PM
Very nice, thanks for posting it...

Carol Ames
Nov. 1, 2011, 09:27 PM
What a pleasure!:lol: GM and Jim Wofford, as well as Denny; learn everyday from every horse;) They could write their own "My horses, my teachers", and What a book that would be!:yes::cool:

Carol Ames
Nov. 1, 2011, 09:44 PM
Years ago ,the USET had aGrand Prix jumper named Grande who, had been imported allegedly with upper level dressage training; I know Michael Matz, among others, showed him; there was a story about two h/j trainers watching him warm up in Florida with Rodney Jenkins, Rodney has a superb, instinctive feel for horses;), one of the h/j trainers said, "You know, if you put Rodney on a trained GP horse he could do a GP test; the other replied "yeah, but, you'd have to tell Rodney what the movements are because he wouldn't recognize the names" :lol:
GM would know the names:cool:

Carol Ames
Nov. 1, 2011, 09:47 PM
Looked like they were both having fun!:yes::cool:

lauriep
Nov. 1, 2011, 10:31 PM
What a fabulous video. George is indeed the eternal student, although the movements he did in the video are second nature to him. He is one of the great flat riders we have today, and he was clearly thrilled to ride an accomplished dressage horse that could actually do these exercises. Most of the GP jumpers that he rides on a regular basis are VERY accomplished on the flat and capable of doing at least a 2nd level test. This man just plain loves to ride, teach and learn.

Petstorejunkie
Nov. 1, 2011, 10:39 PM

precisely.

Paragon
Nov. 1, 2011, 10:42 PM
My, oh my. Hearing GM giggle was the absolute best part of my day. This week's gonna have to work hard to top that one.

incentive
Nov. 1, 2011, 11:04 PM
Simply fabulous!!!!

AliCat
Nov. 1, 2011, 11:10 PM
That is awesome. Someone should link this video every time someone questions the passion for horses and riding that big name trainers have.

Foxtrot's
Nov. 2, 2011, 12:31 AM
That man has my utmost respect. For the first time riding that horse he is amazing.
We have cliniced with him and audited and been impressed each time. With us, he was even nice.

MHM
Nov. 2, 2011, 12:37 AM
That man has my utmost respect. For the first time riding that horse he is amazing.

Not to mention he's, what, about 75 by now?? Amazing and a half, I'd say. :eek:

lauriep
Nov. 2, 2011, 02:14 AM
That is awesome. Someone should link this video every time someone questions the passion for horses and riding that big name trainers have.

How many of today's "big name trainers" do you think could do this?

BAC
Nov. 2, 2011, 11:02 AM
How many of today's "big name trainers" do you think could do this?

None, probably. I am not at all surprised that GM can ride those movements, there was a time when pros were all around horseman. Sadly, that is not true today, for most of them. It was fun to see how much enthusiasm GM still has for riding and learning.

Renn/aissance
Nov. 2, 2011, 11:16 AM
Years ago ,the USET had aGrand Prix jumper named Grande who, had been imported allegedly with upper level dressage training; I know Michael Matz, among others, showed him; there was a story about two h/j trainers watching him warm up in Florida with Rodney Jenkins, Rodney has a superb, instinctive feel for horses;), one of the h/j trainers said, "You know, if you put Rodney on a trained GP horse he could do a GP test; the other replied "yeah, but, you'd have to tell Rodney what the movements are because he wouldn't recognize the names" :lol:
GM would know the names:cool:

I love this. :)

BAC
Nov. 2, 2011, 11:25 AM
A friend of a friend was invited by Ludger Beerbaum to spend at week at his place a couple of years ago (she is a dressage coach) and said they do a minimal amount of jumping, its mostly flat work including lots of lateral work. That includes their warmup at the shows, except they will then pop over a 5' vertical before going in the ring, the majority of the schooling done at his place is dressage.

meupatdoes
Nov. 2, 2011, 11:40 AM
One minute the COTH hunter forums insist up down and around again that "dressage training will ruin your hunter," "the disciplines are completely different," and 'you can't do both with the same horse," (whether or not the people making these statements have ever ridden down centerline themselves),

and then somebody posts a video like this and everyone bemoans that none of the BNTs today could do this but there are also reports that Ludger Beerbaum does 90% flat work with tons of lateral work and barely ever jumps.

I do think that most professional riders with a quiet seat and the ability to follow instruction could get on a confirmed International caliber horse, follow directions, and do just fine. If you already know how to sit on a horse and you actually try it on a confirmed horse, it isn't so hard. I am not George Morris and even my sorry @$$ could do one-handed canter pirouettes and piaffe/passage on a (non-international calibre) lesson horse when I first crossed over.

It is developing the horse from square one to that level that is the trick.

magnolia73
Nov. 2, 2011, 12:08 PM
I don't think it is so much that he can ride the horse and get the movements, it's that at his age and his experience he wanted to get on and work with that horse for his own pleasure- for the pleasure of riding a quality horse.

I will say that something I notice about some pros and young juniors who want to be pros is a lack of actual enthusiasm and joy for riding. You rarely see them delighted with actual riding.

I think so often people get bogged down in the details and forget about the pleasure and fun of riding a horse. I laugh- some times my horse is a silly goose and everything goes to hell- but it's fun to be on a horse having fun and enjoying its job.

BAC
Nov. 2, 2011, 12:19 PM
it's that at his age and his experience he wanted to get on and work with that horse for his own pleasure- for the pleasure of riding a quality horse.

Exactly. His pure love of riding comes through, even after a lifetime of riding he still has such enthusiasm, and still has the desire to keep learning as well. It seems so much more to him than just the way he earns his living.

reinerspook
Nov. 2, 2011, 09:13 PM
Really enjoyed watching that video, thanks for posting!

giddybiddy
Nov. 2, 2011, 09:23 PM
My, oh my. Hearing GM giggle was the absolute best part of my day. This week's gonna have to work hard to top that one.

I totally second this! That seriously just made my life complete. Absolutely. Loved this video so much, I had to show it to my non-horsey mom, who loved it just as much!

smokygirl
Nov. 2, 2011, 09:29 PM
I think he would do well in the GP ring too!

He's so elegant on a horse - good riding is good riding!

I'd like to see him on a reiner. Bet he'd be in the 1m club in no time. he's good!

Star's Ascent
Nov. 2, 2011, 10:37 PM
This just made me smile! He is coming up here in about 3 weeks for a clinic and I am hoping to go. It will be my first time getting to see him in person. I'm so excited! I'm only auditing though!

lauriep
Nov. 3, 2011, 05:41 PM
Star's, be SURE you tell him that you saw the video of him. He will be 1) surprised, and 2) delighted that you saw it and enjoyed it. He has NO CLUE the things that come across the internet...Anyhow, you will make his day to tell him that, and will more than likely get a story to go with it!

ivy62
Nov. 3, 2011, 06:27 PM
It was wonderful to watch a well rounded horseman. He is the best. Well educated and just loves riding.....I wish more people would try all different things and have fun....
I am making the switch to dressage after years in the hunter/eq world. Gotta say that it has been interesting...and I got a retired eventer to do it on!

MistyPony
Nov. 3, 2011, 07:18 PM
I totally second this! That seriously just made my life complete. Absolutely. Loved this video so much, I had to show it to my non-horsey mom, who loved it just as much!

Third this!

Summit Springs Farm
Nov. 3, 2011, 09:56 PM
Very nice and Gm looked pretty good too!;)

karlymacrae
Nov. 4, 2011, 12:49 AM
So awesome!! Thanks for sharing. I'd kill for that opportunity!

Gestalt
Nov. 4, 2011, 08:38 PM
Great video of two great horsemen (and of course a great horse!). If USA gave knighthoods, GM would be "Sir". :)

On another note, I was happy to see the plug about Stubben. JMHO but I think they make the best saddles for the money, in any discipline.