PDA

View Full Version : Do Videographers/Photographers incur a vendors fee to attend a horse show?

RyuEquestrian
Oct. 31, 2011, 05:43 PM
I have a question for those horse show managers out there.

Do you charge your videographers or photographer a vendors fee to attend your horse show and provide these services to your clients?

I recently heard of a horse show charging their videographer $150 vendors fee, is this standard practice?

dags
Oct. 31, 2011, 05:51 PM
Yes, they do. And $150 is far cheaper than what many charge.

RyuEquestrian
Oct. 31, 2011, 05:54 PM
That is what I figured, I too have heard of much higher rates being charged, especially at the big circuits like HITS, Wellington etc. Thanks dags for your confirmation.

CHSatwork
Oct. 31, 2011, 05:56 PM
Yes. That, the internet and cheaper cameras are the reason most shows don't have photographers anymore. :no: Makes me sad because no matter what camera I use I can't take good pictures. I miss being able to buy nice shots:yes:

Lucassb
Oct. 31, 2011, 05:59 PM
We have a big venue nearby that no longer has a photographer on site because they not only wanted to charge him a big vendor fee... they wanted him to carry a big insurance policy as well. He is not a full time professional and does this on the side, so it didn't make sense for him to continue there and no one else has stepped up to take his place (not surprising since it was very unlikely that *anyone* would sell enough to cover the costs involved.)

You can find the vendor fees for this winter's HITS Ocala show here, as an example: http://www.hitsshows.com/pdf/fl_vendorcontract_12.pdf

smokygirl
Oct. 31, 2011, 06:20 PM
Yes. And that is part of the reason that a lot of photographers are not doing shows now. Why pay to go take pictures, when in most places (weddings, anniversaries, portraits, even equine farm photo shoots, sr photos) they pay you not only a sitting fee but buy more of the photos.

dags
Oct. 31, 2011, 06:34 PM
I forgot to add they also demand free photos and videos of whatever they want (winners, etc). And they typically want it as soon as the class wraps up.

So you pay to be there, and then you get the honor of giving away your work.

Stay on-site so you can be there sun-up to sun-down? Well, then you get RV hook up fees too. And no break in concession cost either.

And ya'll wonder why photos are $45 each!

S A McKee
Oct. 31, 2011, 08:21 PM
Depends on the size of the show.
Many one day C or B shows do not charge a vendor fee.

Next year the new USEF/USHJA show standards go into effect. One of the items that can count toward the number of required 'menu' items is having a videographer. That requirement may make some shows rethink charging a vendor fee. Cheaper to lose that fee than to fulfill some of the other 'menu' options.

MHM
Nov. 1, 2011, 09:02 AM
I was talking to one of the coffee vendors set up at WEF last winter. I can't remember the exact numbers she told me, but I was shocked to hear how much she paid every week for a vendor fee, and how many cups of coffee she had to sell every day just to break even. :eek:

And she probably was not expected to provide the horse show staff with free coffee.

dags
Nov. 1, 2011, 09:21 AM
I was talking to one of the coffee vendors set up at WEF last winter. I can't remember the exact numbers she told me, but I was shocked to hear how much she paid every week for a vendor fee, and how many cups of coffee she had to sell every day just to break even. :eek:

And she probably was not expected to provide the horse show staff with free coffee.

I wouldn't be so sure about that :no: (I don't know one way or another, but it would not surprise me in the least).

HITS & WEF vendor fees are in the 4 digits - weekly.

Exhibitors are not the only ones being nickel & dimed at these shows, and it would behoove them to support the professional media providers that are left. The greed in this industry thrives on our divided constituency.