PDA

View Full Version : Just won a contest... girth or breastplate?

horsegal301
Oct. 31, 2011, 05:30 PM
I entered a photo contest through Voltaire and won! Now I've got the choice between 3 of their girths and their 5pt breastplate...

For me, this will probably one of the most expensive piece of tack I own besides my saddle, so I want to make sure I make the right choice.

I'm not sure I need any bellyguard girths anytime soon, but the breastplate looks absolutely gorgeous, even though I don't really have a need for it and not sure it comes in pony size! Come to think of it, the girths might also be too big for my pony.

Any suggestions?

Libby416
Oct. 31, 2011, 05:53 PM
You could get the girth and Fedex it to me! ;-) But in all seriousness, I think a girth would be more useful then a breastplate.

Rel6
Oct. 31, 2011, 07:52 PM
I would not get anything in pony size if you think you're going to be moving onto a horse anytime in the next year or so. *And* if you are going going to be moving onto a horse and doing the jumpers I would go with the breastplate (sizing a girth to a non-existant horse is harder than picking full or over size for a breastplate.)

But honestly, what I would do? Is go for whatever retails for the most money, pick a popular size (50, 52 for a girth, full size for a breastplate) and sell it online once I get it. Then I would use the money for a nice piece of equipment I need (or actually really want!) Just my $.02!

GingerJumper
Oct. 31, 2011, 08:03 PM
I would not get anything in pony size if you think you're going to be moving onto a horse anytime in the next year or so. *And* if you are going going to be moving onto a horse and doing the jumpers I would go with the breastplate (sizing a girth to a non-existant horse is harder than picking full or over size for a breastplate.)

But honestly, what I would do? Is go for whatever retails for the most money, pick a popular size (50, 52 for a girth, full size for a breastplate) and sell it online once I get it. Then I would use the money for a nice piece of equipment I need (or actually really want!) Just my $.02!

:yes:

Or.... you could send the belly guard girth to me. :lol: I kid, I kid. Lucky you, I'm jealous! :)

AnEnglishRider
Oct. 31, 2011, 09:09 PM

That's probably what I would do too :D

BAC
Oct. 31, 2011, 09:20 PM
I agree with picking whatever is worth the most and selling it, then using the money for something you really need.

alto
Oct. 31, 2011, 09:32 PM
I entered a photo contest through Voltaire and won! Now I've got the choice between 3 of their girths and their 5pt breastplate...

I'm not sure I need any bellyguard girths anytime soon, but the breastplate looks absolutely gorgeous, even though I don't really have a need for it and not sure it comes in pony size! Come to think of it, the girths might also be too big for my pony.

Any suggestions?

Congratulations!
I'd keep whatever I chose & use it & tell the story 20 000 times :D
Money I can get at any job, it has no Story.

I like a nice girth, breastplate I can't imagine using - FP seems to appreciate his anatomic girth. They offer long & short girths, so Pony size should be fine.

horsegal301
Oct. 31, 2011, 09:58 PM
I'm glad some of you are suggesting I sell them. The available sizes they had for girths would not fit my pony (and no, not moving up anytime soon, I'm stuck with her and no funds to get a larger horse). I've been really into sidesaddle lately and none of the girths available seem to be anything I'd use, even the hunter girth isn't ride for SS. It's too bad I couldn't have the credit towards a pair of field boots, those things are gorgeous!

After recommendations from other people to pick a girth and run with it, shall I go with a belly guard girth or anatomic girth? I'm not sure what people use more.

Rel6
Oct. 31, 2011, 10:27 PM
I'm glad some of you are suggesting I sell them. The available sizes they had for girths would not fit my pony (and no, not moving up anytime soon, I'm stuck with her and no funds to get a larger horse). I've been really into sidesaddle lately and none of the girths available seem to be anything I'd use, even the hunter girth isn't ride for SS. It's too bad I couldn't have the credit towards a pair of field boots, those things are gorgeous!

After recommendations from other people to pick a girth and run with it, shall I go with a belly guard girth or anatomic girth? I'm not sure what people use more.

I glanced at their website...I would go with the "Long Belly Guard Girth" (here: http://en.voltaire-design.com/accessories.html) because it retails for the most. I'd probably go for chocolate in a 50 or maybe even 54.

I'd stick it on ebay with a reserve of $375 (which is already $25 more than the expensive anatomical girth goes for.)

alto
Nov. 1, 2011, 02:19 AM
It's too bad I couldn't have the credit towards a pair of field boots, those things are gorgeous!

Did you ask if this was a possibility?