PDA

View Full Version : Must Have Showing Tack + Apparel

MorganLuvr848
Oct. 31, 2011, 12:54 PM
I will be showing jumpers and equitation pretty soon, so its time for shopping! :D Tell me the about your favorite show clothes and tack!

P.S. Any breeches that come in a 22 and 24 that you love? My saddle is black so I need some breeches where the color of the saddle won't stain the breeches.

Also needs suggestions for black bridle makers.

BAC
Oct. 31, 2011, 01:08 PM
Is price a factor? For bridles I love Hadfields, Edgewood, and Antares especially.

If you are showing in the eq you don't really have a choice in the color of breeches, it is tan or tan. ;) The puke green color is also acceptable although not nearly as popular as it was a few years ago. And your jacket should be navy or black with a white shirt. I hate the sameness of it but that's what is appropriate.

Pikeur breeches are very popular at the moment, but they are very expensive, TS is always popular as well. Some manufacturers will fit you better than others though, I would go with what fits you best rather than what is popular.

MorganLuvr848
Oct. 31, 2011, 01:34 PM
Okay thank you!

BAC
Oct. 31, 2011, 01:43 PM
Are you showing in USEF rated shows? If so, the black saddle will stick out, most likely you will be the only one. There is no rule against it though, although the rules state something about "unconventional" tack.

MorganLuvr848
Oct. 31, 2011, 01:44 PM
Yes I will be showing in USEF. There aren't any rules against it and my black horse looks awful in brown tack so Im sticking with my black saddle.

indygirl2560
Oct. 31, 2011, 01:50 PM
I just went to a show this weekend and this is what I had:
-mattes hunter pad
-equifit luxe boots
-wellfleet bridle from smartpak which actually looks amazing for the price
-rj classics jacket
-essex show shirt
-ariat pro circuit breeches (which I love!!!)

all of those things are great quality and look nice even with a lot of use

BAC
Oct. 31, 2011, 01:50 PM
If tack is dark enough it looks good even on black horses, but if it fits you and your horse well there is no reason you can't show in a black saddle. I agree light tan or orange leather looks awful on a black horse.

MorganLuvr848
Oct. 31, 2011, 01:55 PM
If tack is dark enough it looks good even on black horses, but if it fits you and your horse well there is no reason you can't show in a black saddle. I agree light tan or orange leather looks awful on a black horse.

The shade of black my horse is just doesn't look right with the brown county jump saddles thats why I went with the black. Of course my horse only had to fit in one of the most expensive saddles on the market!!!! Do you think I should go with tan breeches to not make the saddle look so dark?

BAC
Oct. 31, 2011, 02:09 PM
I remember not liking the leather colors of the County saddle, they are probably too reddish for your black horse. My CWD is very dark havanna and would look gorgeous on any black horse and matches my Hadfields bridle beautifully.

If you are showing in the eq you should wear tan breeches regardless of what color your saddle is. And those colors are still more appropriate for showing in any division, even jumpers, although some people are wearing colored breeches.

AmmyByNature
Oct. 31, 2011, 02:09 PM
The shade of black my horse is just doesn't look right with the brown county jump saddles thats why I went with the black. Of course my horse only had to fit in one of the most expensive saddles on the market!!!! Do you think I should go with tan breeches to not make the saddle look so dark?

As opposed to what? You should definitely wear tan/beige breeches.

I'm not sure what discipline you're coming from, but the black saddle and your screen name make me feel like I should mention no bling on your bridle, either. No brass and no buckles. No flash.

Dark navy hunt coat. Three buttons, double vented, dark -- not metallic -- buttons.

Lucassb
Oct. 31, 2011, 02:11 PM
You are asking about trends, if I understood the OP correctly. BAC is right that black tack, while not "illegal," per se, is generally not "done" in the hunters (or eq, for that matter.) If the rest of your turnout is conservative and correct, though, probably the only people who will notice are the other exhibitors, and they don't get to vote on your placings.

For the record, I also have a black horse; he looks fine in his normal (dark) brown tack. Hunters are usually shown in dark brown tack that has mellowed to a beautiful mahogany color through use and good care, and that looks good on ANY horse.

(for the record I also agree with BAC that Light/orange tack doesn't look good on any horse, IMO, but that is why G*d made neatsfoot oil. )

Are you perhaps coming from another discipline where black is the more usual choice?

Meanwhile, you want to use a plain white fitted pad under your saddle, a properly fitted bridle (D-ring snaffles are the most common in the hunters while pelhams are frequently used for the eq) along with conservative colored polos or leather boots in the eq ring if your horse requires them. Obviously you cannot put anything on their legs in the hunters.

For yourself, as noted you can wear tan or beige breeches, properly polished tall boots, an approved helmet and a well tailored hunt coat. Navy is the most traditional color coat for the equitation and is never wrong for the hunters either. Dark gloves are a must and most riders will also be wearing a pair of spurs and carrying a stick.

Have fun~!

MorganLuvr848
Oct. 31, 2011, 02:12 PM
As opposed to what? You should definitely wear tan/beige breeches.

I'm not sure what discipline you're coming from, but the black saddle and your screen name make me feel like I should mention no bling on your bridle, either. No brass and no buckles. No flash.

Dark navy hunt coat. Three buttons, double vented, dark -- not metallic -- buttons.
I actually come from the dressage ring thank you very much. I was thinking white breeches for jumpers but tan for equitation. I really like the animo show jackets though.

MorganLuvr848
Oct. 31, 2011, 02:15 PM
You are asking about trends, if I understood the OP correctly. BAC is right that black tack, while not "illegal," per se, is generally not "done" in the hunters (or eq, for that matter.) If the rest of your turnout is conservative and correct, though, probably the only people who will notice are the other exhibitors, and they don't get to vote on your placings.

For the record, I also have a black horse; he looks fine in his normal (dark) brown tack. Hunters are usually shown in dark brown tack that has mellowed to a beautiful mahogany color through use and good care, and that looks good on ANY horse.

(for the record I also agree with BAC that Light/orange tack doesn't look good on any horse, IMO, but that is why G*d made neatsfoot oil. )

Are you perhaps coming from another discipline where black is the more usual choice?

Meanwhile, you want to use a plain white fitted pad under your saddle, a properly fitted bridle (D-ring snaffles are the most common in the hunters while pelhams are frequently used for the eq) along with conservative colored polos or leather boots in the eq ring if your horse requires them. Obviously you cannot put anything on their legs in the hunters.

For yourself, as noted you can wear tan or beige breeches, properly polished tall boots, an approved helmet and a well tailored hunt coat. Navy is the most traditional color coat for the equitation and is never wrong for the hunters either. Dark gloves are a must and most riders will also be wearing a pair of spurs and carrying a stick.

Have fun~!

Thank you for your response. I guess I just like black saddles. I always have wanted one and so I got one when I bought my horse.

MorganLuvr848
Oct. 31, 2011, 02:16 PM
I remember not liking the leather colors of the County saddle, they are probably too reddish for your black horse. My CWD is very dark havanna and would look gorgeous on any black horse and matches my Hadfields bridle beautifully.

If you are showing in the eq you should wear tan breeches regardless of what color your saddle is. And those colors are still more appropriate for showing in any division, even jumpers, although some people are wearing colored breeches.

Its too bad that the CWD didn't fit my horse. I really liked their colors too.

AmmyByNature
Oct. 31, 2011, 02:28 PM
I actually come from the dressage ring thank you very much. I was thinking white breeches for jumpers but tan for equitation. I really like the animo show jackets though.

Why the hostility? If you come from the dressage ring my advice still stands.

And I didn't realize you were jumping in with both feet. If you're gonna spend the scratch for a $900 show jacket then the Animo is a beautiful coat. They are a little more jumper-oriented.

And white breeches are only for jumper CLASSICS, not just all jumper classes.

Lucassb
Oct. 31, 2011, 03:40 PM
Thank you for your response. I guess I just like black saddles. I always have wanted one and so I got one when I bought my horse.

No problem, you are very welcome.

And you are correct that there is no rule against black tack in H/J land. Oh, I suppose there is the "unconventional tack can be penalized at the judge's discretion," statement in the hunter rules... but that would be a rare judge, IMO. Would a dressage judge throw a rider out for using brown tack in a dressage test? This is basically the same thing in reverse. Not usual, but not "against the law." You may have some trouble finding a hunter appropriate bridle in black to match, though. (And remember for hunters/eq... you want a bridle with hook studs, not buckle ends) and laced reins, not rubber/web/etc.

FWIW, the Animo jackets are probably best reserved for the jumper ring (and Ammy is correct that white breeches are generally reserved for "the big classes" or classics.) But these days, pretty much anything goes in the jumper ring, and you will see people in every color breech imaginable - and mostly in polo shirts rather than ratcatchers and coats.

As a side note... I personally prefer to show in a coat regardless, but that's because I like the way it looks in the photos afterwards, LOL... that's just me.

That said, in the equitation, you definitely don't want to stand out for your attire. Navy coat, white shirt, tan breeches, black field boots and black gloves are the standard uniform. (Yes, before people jump in and have a heart attack, you *can* wear dress boots; it's just not typical. Again... not against the law.)

The idea is to walk into the ring giving the judge the impression that you know what is expected, are perfectly prepared to demonstrate that you can answer the questions being asked by the course... basically that you are the winner. Showing up looking unconventional doesn't mean you cannot ride the course equally well... but it does give the first impression that you may not really "know the game," and puts you in the position of having to work UP to a good score, instead of starting off with a good impression (and possibly working your way down as you have mistakes!)

xxreddxheaddxx
Oct. 31, 2011, 03:50 PM
White breeches for jumpers are appropriate for classics/ special classes. For regular classes they are a little formal.

Carley Sparks
Nov. 1, 2011, 08:51 AM
Equestrian fashion designer Arianna Anderocci gave her recommendations for the equitation ring here:

http://www.getmyfix.org/3438/fashion-file-equitation-inspiration/

And for the jumper ring here:

http://www.getmyfix.org/1666/high-performance-fashion-ladies/

GingerJumper
Nov. 1, 2011, 09:33 AM
I also would like to mention that if you're in the eq at really anything more than a C show, the horse should be braided.

I wouldn't do white breeches in anything but the big jumper classes or classics. I wouldn't wear an Animo or other softshell coat in anything but the jumpers... still a little too untraditional for the hunter or eq rings.

If I were you and just getting into it, I'd wait a while before making big purchases like an Animo, etc, until you decide you REALLY like the discipline and you're staying.

Also, a small turnout list:

-hairnet, all of you hair UNDER your helmet except the "hunter princess" hair over your ears.
-NO fullseats.
-spurs are worn lower than they are in the dressage ring, and are considered traditional, so you'll see a lot of people wearing them.
-if you use a pelham, use two reins, NOT a converter!!

As an aside, what eq divisions are you looking at doing? I might be trying for WIHS this year, or a more local medal, depending on where it looks like my guy will be in his progress.

MorganLuvr848
Nov. 1, 2011, 10:00 AM
Equestrian fashion designer Arianna Anderocci gave her recommendations for the equitation ring here:

http://www.getmyfix.org/3438/fashion-file-equitation-inspiration/

And for the jumper ring here:

http://www.getmyfix.org/1666/high-performance-fashion-ladies/

Thank you for the articles. They are great!

MorganLuvr848
Nov. 1, 2011, 10:11 AM
I also would like to mention that if you're in the eq at really anything more than a C show, the horse should be braided.

I wouldn't do white breeches in anything but the big jumper classes or classics. I wouldn't wear an Animo or other softshell coat in anything but the jumpers... still a little too untraditional for the hunter or eq rings.

If I were you and just getting into it, I'd wait a while before making big purchases like an Animo, etc, until you decide you REALLY like the discipline and you're staying.

Also, a small turnout list:

-hairnet, all of you hair UNDER your helmet except the "hunter princess" hair over your ears.
-NO fullseats.
-spurs are worn lower than they are in the dressage ring, and are considered traditional, so you'll see a lot of people wearing them.
-if you use a pelham, use two reins, NOT a converter!!

As an aside, what eq divisions are you looking at doing? I might be trying for WIHS this year, or a more local medal, depending on where it looks like my guy will be in his progress.

My horse is still a "greenie" so I will be planning on doing the adult equitation O/F (3ft) and U/S. I will be doing the low adult jumper .95m sections also. I will most likely start at B shows and then go to some A shows if he does well.

skittlespony
Nov. 1, 2011, 10:36 AM
I Usually wear for my apparel:
Grand Prix Hunt Coat (Navy with subtle colored pinstripes)
Tailored Sportsman's Low Rise Breeches (Beige)
Ariat Monacos (Square toe not round)
Charles Owen Show Shirt (Light blue, White if needed)
Zocks
Charles Owen Helmet (usually rub it with a Damp cloth or bathe it in the sink with dishsoap before a show)

Grand Prix Coats are good for any class type, white breeches are traditional in the Eq, and like Gingerjumper said spurs are traditional and alot of times you will see riders carrying crops although they don't use them.

For the Horse:
Polos
Nice Clean Show Pad
Sometimes those Tad Coffin Lift Pads
Nice Clean Bridle
My saddle, (I don't think your black saddle would work too well)
Ect (whatever else the horse NEEDS)

MorganLuvr848
Nov. 1, 2011, 12:09 PM
Zocks
Charles Owen Helmet (usually rub it with a Damp cloth or bathe it in the sink with dishsoap before a show)

Grand Prix Coats are good for any class type, white breeches are traditional in the Eq, and like Gingerjumper said spurs are traditional and alot of times you will see riders carrying crops although they don't use them.

For the Horse:
Polos
Nice Clean Show Pad
Nice Clean Bridle
Thanks for the suggestions. The tailored sportsman breeches look nice. I will definitely try those. I love my saddle and will never get another one because it is black so if I can only eventually do jumpers with it that is fine.

ParadoxFarm
Nov. 1, 2011, 12:12 PM
You would do jumpers just to "fit" your saddle? Interesting. What if you get another horse and your black saddle looks less than perfect? Or will you search for a horse that looks good with the saddle? I'm not knocking the saddle, just thoughts to ponder.

MorganLuvr848
Nov. 1, 2011, 12:35 PM
You would do jumpers just to "fit" your saddle? Interesting. What if you get another horse and your black saddle looks less than perfect? Or will you search for a horse that looks good with the saddle? I'm not knocking the saddle, just thoughts to ponder.

I just bought this horse. I am not going to sell him or get another horse. It took me two years to find this one.

ParadoxFarm
Nov. 1, 2011, 12:45 PM
Best laid plans.... ;)

AmmyByNature
Nov. 1, 2011, 12:50 PM
I'd rather do a hunter in the Hunters despite a black saddle than do a hunter in the Jumpers just because of a black saddle.

MorganLuvr848
Nov. 1, 2011, 12:55 PM
I'd rather do a hunter in the Hunters despite a black saddle than do a hunter in the Jumpers just because of a black saddle.

^:cool: It also doesn't mean I couldn't buy another saddle just for showing. I still have to sell my dressage saddle......So maybe that will be my fund for a brown saddle if I need one eventually.
I am starting to find dressage saddles more uncomfortable. The more I ride in my jump saddle the more uncomfortable it seems to get to use my dressage saddle. Does anybody else have this problem? Why is this exactly?

reay6790
Nov. 1, 2011, 03:28 PM
mm no. i do eventing as well as h/j and i am just as comfy in my CWD as i am in my Custom Saddlery dressage saddle. I might actually even prefer flatwork in my dressage saddle. *gasp* never thought i'd say that...

TrakeGirl
Nov. 1, 2011, 04:03 PM
FWIW - with all this black saddle talk...my County is the dark brown color.

I KNOW it is brown and thus mentally, I don't feel like I stick out in the hunter ring. But I can tell you I have had at least 3 people ask me if my saddle was black in the last 6 months...(in that horrified tone of voice...do you have a *gasp* black saddle?) I'm like no...it is dark brown. Which seemed to satisfy them. (But you know, from a distance, you really can't tell brown vs black.)

So I guess the moral is - if people give you crap about your black saddle, just tell them it is dark, dark brown. :)

Eous
Nov. 2, 2011, 02:26 AM
Awhile back I spoke to a USEF hunter judge about black tack in the hunter ring and the response was that a judge isnt going to fault or count down for black if it's otherwise appropriate. As much as we like to think our fashion sense wins the ribbons, gasp... they do actually pay attention to the horse and rider's ability.

The OP stated that this saddle is what fit her and her horse. They are transitioning, so unless they are in some high level competition, the black tack will suit and better that the horse goes well than have issues with a saddle for the sake of color.

On a black horse I like a navy jacket. It helps avoid an overly dark silhouette.

Dewey
Nov. 2, 2011, 06:52 AM
Awhile back I spoke to a USEF hunter judge about black tack in the hunter ring and the response was that a judge isnt going to fault or count down for black if it's otherwise appropriate. As much as we like to think our fashion sense wins the ribbons, gasp... they do actually pay attention to the horse and rider's ability.

I remember reading another one of these fashion-in-the-hunter-ring threads, and at the end of it, a poster who was an actual judge stated that the color of the rider's jacket is immaterial, just find the jumps. The judge advised riders to spend less money on clothes and more on lessons!:lol:

MorganLuvr848
Nov. 2, 2011, 07:33 AM

The OP stated that this saddle is what fit her and her horse. They are transitioning, so unless they are in some high level competition, the black tack will suit and better that the horse goes well than have issues with a saddle for the sake of color.

On a black horse I like a navy jacket. It helps avoid an overly dark silhouette.

Okay :) I like navy! Black or navy helmet?

GingerJumper
Nov. 2, 2011, 08:39 AM
Zocks

For the Horse:
Polos
Nice Clean Show Pad
Nice Clean Bridle

First, white is NOT traditional in anything but the big jumper classes. Second, cleaning your CO with dish soap can damage it. Ever read the labels? They recommend only a damp cloth or CO's helmet cleaning solutions. Polos are rarely used anymore although I suppose you could use them... leather open fronts are much more commonly seen in the eq and jumper rings. Also, in the eq (forgot to mention this before) you'll want a standing martingale if you need a martingale at all. No runnings.

GingerJumper
Nov. 2, 2011, 08:40 AM
Okay :) I like navy! Black or navy helmet?

Black. Can't go wrong with black. Plus, that way, if you ever decide on a different color coat to go with a different horse, you won't be stuck with a non matching helmet. :)

AmmyByNature
Nov. 2, 2011, 09:21 AM
First, white is NOT traditional in anything but the big jumper classes.

How did I miss this! GingerJumper is right. White is totally inappropriate for the eq. The only time you should wear white in the eq is if you've just dismounted from your Jumper Classic horse and you're walking into the eq. Although honestly, you should still try and find 60 seconds to change your breeches.

I do see a few white breeches in the eq, but I like to think that the girls just didn't have time to change from their jumpers. If I thought they were doing it on purpose I'd cry...

skittlespony
Nov. 2, 2011, 10:17 AM
How did I miss this! GingerJumper is right. White is totally inappropriate for the eq. The only time you should wear white in the eq is if you've just dismounted from your Jumper Classic horse and you're walking into the eq. Although honestly, you should still try and find 60 seconds to change your breeches.

I do see a few white breeches in the eq, but I like to think that the girls just didn't have time to change from their jumpers. If I thought they were doing it on purpose I'd cry...

White isn't completely untraditional, it is worn in hunter derbies if a shadbelly isn't worn.

BAC
Nov. 2, 2011, 10:58 AM
White isn't completely untraditional, it is worn in hunter derbies if a shadbelly isn't worn.

It is also worn by gentlemen hunt staff or gentlemen wearing scarlett, for example when showing in hunt team classes, or any other classes for foxhunters, as well as the now non-existent appointments and Corinthian classes. I believe Harrisburg has several classes for field hunters/hunt teams, etc.

bjd2013
Nov. 2, 2011, 03:47 PM
For Eq and Hunters you want to stay as traditional as you can. Black/Navy coat with a white show shirt, tan breeches, and black field boots. As for your black saddle, you might not be marked for it, but prepared to be laughed at and stared at..just a warning..some people are cruel.

Fun Size
Nov. 2, 2011, 06:14 PM
My favorite hunt coat is the Grand Prix Soft Shell. (http://www.tackroominc.com/bigrand-prix-soft-shell-classic-sport-jacketib-p-9649.html) If comes in black and navy, but you can get all kinds of custom piping and colors on the collar.

My barn colors are black and tan, so I got the black with tan piping. I wear the heck out of it, and I love that it is stretchy!

Also, the Tailored Sportsmans in the 4 way stretch/professional version. They are ungodly expensive, but I pick them up on ebay occasionally for a decent price. I wear a short length, and sometimes they clear those out.

For shirts, I like the Essex Coolmax/breathable stuff, either in the wrap collar or the traditional collar. I like the wrap when I am traveling, because that means I can't forget my collar!

MorganLuvr848
Nov. 2, 2011, 06:47 PM
My favorite hunt coat is the Grand Prix Soft Shell. (http://www.tackroominc.com/bigrand-prix-soft-shell-classic-sport-jacketib-p-9649.html) If comes in black and navy, but you can get all kinds of custom piping and colors on the collar.

My barn colors are black and tan, so I got the black with tan piping. I wear the heck out of it, and I love that it is stretchy!

Also, the Tailored Sportsmans in the 4 way stretch/professional version. They are ungodly expensive, but I pick them up on ebay occasionally for a decent price. I wear a short length, and sometimes they clear those out.

For shirts, I like the Essex Coolmax/breathable stuff, either in the wrap collar or the traditional collar. I like the wrap when I am traveling, because that means I can't forget my collar!

Thanks for the suggestion. I really like the look of the Essex shirt! I found this cool store in europe that carries animo without the mark up price of the US and it has free shipping!. http://www.theequestrianstoreni.com/index.php

lucyeq
Nov. 2, 2011, 09:27 PM

I second ALL of this!

mojo7777
Nov. 2, 2011, 09:35 PM
I've often wondered (this is hypothetical as I'm not there yet:)) if my favorite charcoal grey would be an acceptable coat color in the hunters and eq. In my daydreams, it looks really great.

lucyeq
Nov. 2, 2011, 11:05 PM
Because you are looking for the current trends, here they are:

-black, low profile helmet (GPA or CO are the most popular. please do your hairnet properly, too... make sure it's all up there nicely and not in a horrid show bow)
-wrap collar show shirt (white for eq)
-Grand Prix or Animo jacket (black/navy is your best bet for versatility. I prefer black.)
-Pikeurs or Tailored Sportsman tan breeches (only wear white in formal jumper classes such as classics)
-black Roeckl gloves
-well-polished, clean field boots (you can get away with dress boots, but field boots are the norm)
-open fronts or polos for eq; open fronts and ankle boots for jumpers
-standing martingale in eq; standing (in the lower level jumpers like you're doing) or running martingale in jumpers
-snazzy fly bonnet for jumpers if you so choose :) I don't like the ones with the big pom poms on them, but that's just me. I prefer classy, simple looking ones.
-fitted sheepskin pad (Thinline, Fleeceworks, Mattes, EcoGold) for eq; half pad (same brands as above) and square pad for jumpers

I disagree with the people who are saying you should wear spurs and carry a stick because they it's the trend... You should only use what your horse NEEDS. Similarly, if (s)he doesn't need a martingale, then don't use one.

PonyPenny
Nov. 2, 2011, 11:23 PM
Equine Couture Breeches with the euro cut are also extremely popular and are not that expensive compared to the tailored sportsman. Euro cut breeches are the rage right now in all brands.

Hunter Mom
Nov. 2, 2011, 11:41 PM
I've often wondered (this is hypothetical as I'm not there yet:)) if my favorite charcoal grey would be an acceptable coat color in the hunters and eq. In my daydreams, it looks really great.

DD had a lovely, very dark charcoal jacket this year on her black mare. It was dark enough to be "in" but definitely gave a very slight visual break. Of course, I also love a black horse and a navy jacket.

ChagrinSaddlery
Nov. 2, 2011, 11:43 PM
-TS low rise tan breeches Euro Seat with a really cool belt. Must be wide enough to fit the loops. Too thin does not look quite right. They run around $159.00

-RJ Classics or Tailored Sportsman wrap collar shirt, wear it open at the neck showing the pattern around the neckline.... if your trainer allows you to.

-Soft shell hunt coat. I like the new RJ or Grand Prix soft shell.

-Charles Owen AYR8 helmet. Love the fit and the price compared to GPA.

-Roeckl Chester gloves.

-Treadstone Gran Torino Field Boots.

-Sox Trot Socks in a cool pattern.

-Edgewood Bridle,etc.

-Fleeceworks saddle pad sheepskin. Most jumpers do the half pad with a custom baby pad.

-Ear bonnet in your colors.

This is what I have found to be most popular with many jumper riders, including my daughter, who just entered that arena.

equidae
Nov. 3, 2011, 12:08 AM
You can always get Ariat Coolmax show shirts on sale and they're very comfortable. A lot of people have RJ Classics jackets and they're very reasonably priced and look great. I have Heritage leather show gloves which were under $30 and don't bleed like Ariats tend to.

I have an Equine Comforts sheepskin edged show pad which is easy to wash and fits my saddle nicely.

Linda
Nov. 3, 2011, 12:40 AM
The last time I showed at Thermal (2 yrs ago) my horse went in an" older" but in good shape, classic dark black crosby bridle and older dark brown crosby hunterdon saddle.

We did the equitation classes for the ++older group (!) and came in 6 out of 55 riders over 3 days of classes.

I think if your attire is is traditional, clean and neat, and the colors are "similar" the differences between the dark brown saddle and the black bridle are less apparent.
Oh...navy coat, white shirt, tan britches, black field boots, no spur or whip.

We had a great time too

Fun Size
Nov. 3, 2011, 01:06 AM
no spur or whip

Yikes! Only if you want to see my horse do the course in reverse. Super awesome if you have a horse with an engine and you don't need either of those things, but I think a reasonable spur is ok, and carrying a short crop for the jumping rounds in hunter and/or eq is fine. We used both all last year and occasionally did well, even won a few blues :D

GingerJumper
Nov. 3, 2011, 07:50 AM
Yikes! Only if you want to see my horse do the course in reverse. Super awesome if you have a horse with an engine and you don't need either of those things, but I think a reasonable spur is ok, and carrying a short crop for the jumping rounds in hunter and/or eq is fine. We used both all last year and occasionally did well, even won a few blues :D

:yes:

(a side note, congrats on your wins!)

Back on topic, it is traditional to ride with both a spur and a stick, so most eq riders wear/carry them respectively. You don't have to use either, they are simply there for tradition; the same reason we wear hunt coats and breeches instead of sports bras and UA compression tights with suction cups to keep us in the tack.

AmmyByNature
Nov. 3, 2011, 08:02 AM
...no spur or whip...

If by "no" you mean, "always" then you are absolutely correct! ;)

bazinga
Nov. 3, 2011, 09:23 AM
For me in the eq this is what I must have:
- Black marigold jacket
- White essex show shirt (I like just the regular collars)
- Beige TS breeches, (any model other than the royals)
- Thick black belt
- black der dau boots
- Black on Black GPA speed air
- black whip
- plain hunter bridle usually edgewood
- matching edgewood martingale
- plain hadfield or childeric hunter girht with no sheepskin
- fitted square pad
- I like either t-boots or hadfield leather boots for equitating
- roeckle black gloves

For the jumpers we have (I will bold the differences):
- either a GPA soft shell, a blue Marigold jacket with piping, I want one of those grand prix ones though! (But really you can use any jacket here)
- white marigold (with the V) or essex show shirt
- beige TS breeches (again anything other than the royals)
- black der dau boots
- t-boots
- whip in my barn colors
- fancy fly bonnet in either my barn colors or something that involves grey (I ordered them from I think her name is sansibar? on the forums, I love them I ordered 6 for all my horses!)
- plain white saddle pad (some times I use one with the barn colours)
- black ogilvy or an ogilvy in my barn colors
- dy'on bridle with the contoured nose, plain hunter edgewood, or a vespucci with a figure 8
- dy'on breastplate or edgewood running martingale (depends on the horse)
- Antares or childeric belly pad
- black roeckle gloves

That seems to be what I am seeing on others as well as myself.

December
Nov. 3, 2011, 05:17 PM
Why are the Grand Prix soft shell jackets not suitable for the hunter ring? They look quite traditional in cut and styling but everyone seems to say jumper ring only. I really want to buy one, so maybe I will just be the renegade in the hunters!

Fun Size
Nov. 3, 2011, 05:56 PM
Why are the Grand Prix soft shell jackets not suitable for the hunter ring? They look quite traditional in cut and styling but everyone seems to say jumper ring only. I really want to buy one, so maybe I will just be the renegade in the hunters!

I don't know...I wear mine in Hunters and Eq all the time! Trainer has been ok with it, and he is super traditional with colors and stuff like that.

Linda
Nov. 3, 2011, 11:44 PM
Actually I dont carry a whip or wear a spur because I don't need it. My horse gets his engine going when he jumps and any other "stimulus" would get in the way of our round. I'm more concerned about keeping us balanced and in stride - and not racing. Since my intent is to have a nice quiet ride around the course, anything added - and not needed - would get in the way.

So far, we have done well with just the basics - I ride with what I need for my horse - and nothing more. It works. And we have placed well.

After all, I think that's what the judge is looking for : a nice forward, balanced ride around the course

Annandale
Nov. 4, 2011, 12:03 AM
Oh...navy coat, white shirt, tan britches, black field boots, no spur or whip.

To all those commenting about the "no spur or whip" portion of this post, I'm pretty sure Linda was just listing off what SHE wore. Feel free to use or not use spurs and whips at your discretion, folks. :lol:

Sarah Rachel
Nov. 4, 2011, 03:37 PM
I'll just list what I use for each discipline:
Hunters:
Navy jacket ALWAYS, it's traditional and looks nice. My favorite brands that I own are Grand Prix, Hadfields and RJ Classics. RJ's are really really nice, especially for the price.
Tan/beige breeches. I only wear Pikeur, Tailored Sportsman, and Ariat, and they're all nice.
I have 3 pairs of tall boots, but I rotate using them. I school and do C/locals in my ariats, then I do the A's in my parlantis and vogels. Vogels are my favorite and they are incredibly nice. You will hardly EVER see dress boots at H/J shows, you only really see field boots.
As for show shirts, go with a snap collar no matter what. Stock Pins and monogramming is beginning to go out of style. I like Essex and RJ Classics. I LOVE http://www.chevalfashions.com/, if you can afford it. They are amazinnnnggg and I even wear my show shirts out side of the show ring, very cute. (And this is coming from a 14 year old)
A nice leather belt is what is most acceptable, try to have one that fills out your belt loops. It's fashionable to have you or your horse's name on it on a nameplate.
As for a helmet, the GPA Speed Air, or Charles Owen GR8 or AYR8, or Samshield, or Antares is what is in fashion. Black on Black or Black with Silver/Charcoal accents is really the only acceptable thing for the hunters and EQ. Never a Navy. You might sometimes see brown in the Charles Owen, but that's more often seen on the GR8 and Equitation.
Make sure you have nice looking hunter hair under there. ;)
Gloves- BLACKBLACKBLACK. Nothing else.
Whip/Spurs- Whatever your horse needs

Equitation
Coat- Same brands, however you can get away with a gray/charcoal, dark hunter green, or brown coat in addition to the traditional navy.
Breeches- See hunter. White is NOT acceptable.
Boots- See hunter.
Show Shirts- See hunter.
Belts- You can get away with different belts in the EQ! I love to see nice fitting ribbon belts and embroidery. I usually wear a leather, ribbon, or the classic Hermes belts. See Tori's belt here (https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/301125_2535593713155_1352954709_2910095_548437038_ n.jpg) for a cute example of a belt!
Helmet- You can get away with black, black and charcoal, or brown here! An AYR8 is very popular now, as is a GR8 and Speed Air. You don't see many Titiums, but they're there. You may see some Antares and Samshield helmets.
Gloves- BLACCKKKKK, unless you want a mistake with your hands to stick out.
Whip/Spurs- See hunters

Jumpers-
TIME TO HAVE FUN!
Jackets- Pick your favorite coat! Animo is an amazing brand, but if you want something that can go in all three rings, I wouldn't use a soft shell. They're just not as well seen in the hunters and eq. I absolutely love the animo Lena jacket (http://www.doversaddlery.com/article.asp?ai=440) in brown, and its definitely one of the jackets I'm getting for WEF.
Breeches- Everyone else is right, white is really only acceptable for classics. It's almost like white's reserved out of respect, let's put it that way. HOWEVER. You can get away with any other colors, because it's the JUMPERS and you won't get eliminated for untasteful or crazy clothing! I've seen a lot of slate gray and chocolate brown in the more -out there- spectrum of jumpers!
Shirts- This is the only time you can get away with a polo and not a jacket and shirt. But watch out to see if your show requires formal dress. If you go with a polo, I love Ralph Lauren, Joules, and Ariat. If you got with a shirt, see the hunters.
Boots- Yes, technically you can wear dress boots here, but please don't. It's a fashion faux-pa. Not pretty. Go with Ariat, Tucci, Vogel, Parlanti, or Der Dau, and you won't be disapointed.
Belts- GO CRAZAY. I wear bling belts, ribbon belts, leather, embroidered, anything! Time to show off your belts!
Helmets- I saw the most amazing AYR8 at the Germantown Grand Prix this year, it was a AYR8 with a red center. For jumpers go with a helmet like the Speed Air in black on black or silver on black, or an AYR8 in black on black or charcoal/silver and black, or even gold and black. GR8's are nice too, but I like the ventilation that comes with a AYR8.
Gloves- Anything but white (seems like that's really reserved for dressage). I am absolutely in love with these (http://www.doversaddlery.com/ssg-lycrochet-horseshoe-back-riding-gloves/p/X1-3996/cn/29/) or these (http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_X1-3997) in white on tan, and I plan on getting a pair.
Whip/Spurs- See hunters

As for your breeches not being stained by your saddle, if it's a decent saddle it should do that, so I'd check it out. My Antares, Tad Coffin, and CWD have never once stained my pants.

For the horse:
Hunters-
The saddle- should be fine on a black horse, however not traditional and you will probably get a few "Why on earth do you have a black saddle?"'s. I personally would invest in a nicer brown saddle and bridle and sell that saddle.
Bridle & Bit- I lovvvveeee Arc de Triomphe bridles. In the hunters, your horse really needs to go in a snaffle dee ring (whether it is twisted/hallow/happy mouth doesn't matter), occasionally you will see an eggbutt, loose ring, or a full cheek, but it is almost always a snaffle. Although you can sometimes see some hunters in a pelham if they double as an eq horse, it's not popular and some judges will penalize you for it.
Girth- You most often see plain leather and fleece-lined leather. Beval is a popular place to find those.
Martingale- Always a standing martingale and only o/f, if your horse needs one. Tad Coffin is popular for those.
Boots- No boots allowed.

Eq-
See hunters, however, boots are allow and most often they are eskadrons that are leather and sometimes fleece lined. Also, Pelhams are much more popular in the EQ.

Jumpers-
The saddle- see hunters
Bridle & Bit- Figure-eights and drop nosebands are more common and acceptable, as are hackamores. You often see elevator bits and other harsher bits at this level.
Girth- see hunters, a belly guard is also appropriate here.
Martingale- Always a running martingale if one is used
Boots- Almost all horses wear boots.

Oh geeze. that was really long for a post.

MorganLuvr848
Nov. 4, 2011, 07:40 PM
I'll just list what I use for each discipline:
Hunters:
Navy jacket ALWAYS, it's traditional and looks nice. My favorite brands that I own are Grand Prix, Hadfields and RJ Classics. RJ's are really really nice, especially for the price.
Tan/beige breeches. I only wear Pikeur, Tailored Sportsman, and Ariat, and they're all nice.
I have 3 pairs of tall boots, but I rotate using them. I school and do C/locals in my ariats, then I do the A's in my parlantis and vogels. Vogels are my favorite and they are incredibly nice. You will hardly EVER see dress boots at H/J shows, you only really see field boots.
As for show shirts, go with a snap collar no matter what. Stock Pins and monogramming is beginning to go out of style. I like Essex and RJ Classics. I LOVE http://www.chevalfashions.com/, if you can afford it. They are amazinnnnggg and I even wear my show shirts out side of the show ring, very cute. (And this is coming from a 14 year old)
A nice leather belt is what is most acceptable, try to have one that fills out your belt loops. It's fashionable to have you or your horse's name on it on a nameplate.
As for a helmet, the GPA Speed Air, or Charles Owen GR8 or AYR8, or Samshield, or Antares is what is in fashion. Black on Black or Black with Silver/Charcoal accents is really the only acceptable thing for the hunters and EQ. Never a Navy. You might sometimes see brown in the Charles Owen, but that's more often seen on the GR8 and Equitation.
Make sure you have nice looking hunter hair under there. ;)
Gloves- BLACKBLACKBLACK. Nothing else.
Whip/Spurs- Whatever your horse needs

Equitation
Coat- Same brands, however you can get away with a gray/charcoal, dark hunter green, or brown coat in addition to the traditional navy.
Breeches- See hunter. White is NOT acceptable.
Boots- See hunter.
Show Shirts- See hunter.
Belts- You can get away with different belts in the EQ! I love to see nice fitting ribbon belts and embroidery. I usually wear a leather, ribbon, or the classic Hermes belts. See Tori's belt here (https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/301125_2535593713155_1352954709_2910095_548437038_ n.jpg) for a cute example of a belt!
Helmet- You can get away with black, black and charcoal, or brown here! An AYR8 is very popular now, as is a GR8 and Speed Air. You don't see many Titiums, but they're there. You may see some Antares and Samshield helmets.
Gloves- BLACCKKKKK, unless you want a mistake with your hands to stick out.
Whip/Spurs- See hunters

Jumpers-
TIME TO HAVE FUN!
Jackets- Pick your favorite coat! Animo is an amazing brand, but if you want something that can go in all three rings, I wouldn't use a soft shell. They're just not as well seen in the hunters and eq. I absolutely love the animo Lena jacket (http://www.doversaddlery.com/article.asp?ai=440) in brown, and its definitely one of the jackets I'm getting for WEF.
Breeches- Everyone else is right, white is really only acceptable for classics. It's almost like white's reserved out of respect, let's put it that way. HOWEVER. You can get away with any other colors, because it's the JUMPERS and you won't get eliminated for untasteful or crazy clothing! I've seen a lot of slate gray and chocolate brown in the more -out there- spectrum of jumpers!
Shirts- This is the only time you can get away with a polo and not a jacket and shirt. But watch out to see if your show requires formal dress. If you go with a polo, I love Ralph Lauren, Joules, and Ariat. If you got with a shirt, see the hunters.
Boots- Yes, technically you can wear dress boots here, but please don't. It's a fashion faux-pa. Not pretty. Go with Ariat, Tucci, Vogel, Parlanti, or Der Dau, and you won't be disapointed.
Belts- GO CRAZAY. I wear bling belts, ribbon belts, leather, embroidered, anything! Time to show off your belts!
Helmets- I saw the most amazing AYR8 at the Germantown Grand Prix this year, it was a AYR8 with a red center. For jumpers go with a helmet like the Speed Air in black on black or silver on black, or an AYR8 in black on black or charcoal/silver and black, or even gold and black. GR8's are nice too, but I like the ventilation that comes with a AYR8.
Gloves- Anything but white (seems like that's really reserved for dressage). I am absolutely in love with these (http://www.doversaddlery.com/ssg-lycrochet-horseshoe-back-riding-gloves/p/X1-3996/cn/29/) or these (http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_X1-3997) in white on tan, and I plan on getting a pair.
Whip/Spurs- See hunters

As for your breeches not being stained by your saddle, if it's a decent saddle it should do that, so I'd check it out. My Antares, Tad Coffin, and CWD have never once stained my pants.

For the horse:
Hunters-
The saddle- should be fine on a black horse, however not traditional and you will probably get a few "Why on earth do you have a black saddle?"'s. I personally would invest in a nicer brown saddle and bridle and sell that saddle.
Bridle & Bit- I lovvvveeee Arc de Triomphe bridles. In the hunters, your horse really needs to go in a snaffle dee ring (whether it is twisted/hallow/happy mouth doesn't matter), occasionally you will see an eggbutt, loose ring, or a full cheek, but it is almost always a snaffle. Although you can sometimes see some hunters in a pelham if they double as an eq horse, it's not popular and some judges will penalize you for it.
Girth- You most often see plain leather and fleece-lined leather. Beval is a popular place to find those.
Martingale- Always a standing martingale and only o/f, if your horse needs one. Tad Coffin is popular for those.
Boots- No boots allowed.

Eq-
See hunters, however, boots are allow and most often they are eskadrons that are leather and sometimes fleece lined. Also, Pelhams are much more popular in the EQ.

Jumpers-
The saddle- see hunters
Bridle & Bit- Figure-eights and drop nosebands are more common and acceptable, as are hackamores. You often see elevator bits and other harsher bits at this level.
Girth- see hunters, a belly guard is also appropriate here.
Martingale- Always a running martingale if one is used
Boots- Almost all horses wear boots.

Oh geeze. that was really long for a post.

Long but awesome post!:cool: Thanks!

busylady
Nov. 4, 2011, 08:12 PM
SarahRachel's post was great. Very comprehensive. I would love to shop in her tacktrunk! However, I think she may have confused the hunters and eq with respect to jackets. I rarely ever see anyone in the eq in anything but navy. Hunters, mix it up, grey, brown, green, anything traditional.

GingerJumper
Nov. 5, 2011, 11:26 AM
SarahRachel, will you pleaaaaaase come outfit my horse and I before next season?? Pleeeeease? I'll pay you as my fashion consultant! :D :lol:

Sarah Rachel
Nov. 12, 2011, 07:08 PM
Well of course all of you can shop in my riding closet!
Actually, I've seen quite a few Green Jackets in the EQ this year, Lillie Keenan herself started that trend! But you're right, I did kind of mix it up. I like to go with just navy or gray in the hunters, because you don't want to be flashy with yourself, the accent is on the horse! However in eq, you can wear different colors, because the judges should be looking at you. Haha. When in doubt, go with navy, though!

mildot
Nov. 12, 2011, 07:37 PM
This thread is probably why men would just rather event, foxhunt, or chase cattle.

lucyeq
Nov. 12, 2011, 07:45 PM

Just putting it out there that I have a Tad Coffin martingale and I HATE it. Bad leather, oiled horribly, and bad fit. Maybe it was just my experience.

Martingale- Always a running martingale if one is used [in the jumper ring].

This isn't true. At the lower levels of jumpers, standing martingales are used quite often. It is true for the higher levels when the horses need their heads and necks more, however.

Sarah Rachel- didn't meant to pick on your post, it was just the only one I read thoroughly!

Sarah Rachel
Nov. 12, 2011, 07:57 PM
Just putting it out there that I have a Tad Coffin martingale and I HATE it. Bad leather, oiled horribly, and bad fit. Maybe it was just my experience.

This isn't true. At the lower levels of jumpers, standing martingales are used quite often. It is true for the higher levels when the horses need their heads and necks more, however.

Sarah Rachel- didn't meant to pick on your post, it was just the only one I read thoroughly!

It might have been your experience, I have a tad coffin and I absolutely love it! And everything I've ever heard about it has been good, but maybe that was just an exception.

Yep, at the lower levels you can use a standing, but I find that it's easier just to have always used a running because as you move up the levels you don't want to be underestimating the power of a running martingale. Plus I've never competed in anything under children's jumpers, so I've just always used a running. It's more of a personal preference, I guess. Haha it's fine!

SkipChange
Nov. 12, 2011, 09:27 PM
Prize money regulates martingale use, not the height of the fences. I believe its under $5k for a standing. I've done Child Adult jumpers with a standing plenty.

Sarah Rachel
Nov. 12, 2011, 09:30 PM
Prize money regulates martingale use, not the height of the fences. I believe its under $5k for a standing. I've done Child Adult jumpers with a standing plenty.

Hmm, that's kind of weird. You'd think the height would matter more than the prize money, but in every show I've done standings weren't allowed in my division to my knowledge.

BAC
Nov. 12, 2011, 09:35 PM
Well of course all of you can shop in my riding closet!
Actually, I've seen quite a few Green Jackets in the EQ this year, Lillie Keenan herself started that trend!

I was wondering when someone would notice this. Lillie was wearing a green jacket at the Hampton Classic this year, in both the eq and jr. hunters and again when she won the Maclay regional. It was a nice change from all that navy.

Sarah Rachel
Nov. 12, 2011, 09:47 PM
I was wondering when someone would notice this. Lillie was wearing a green jacket at the Hampton Classic this year, in both the eq and jr. hunters and again when she won the Maclay regional. It was a nice change from all that navy.
Yep! She's a fantastic rider! I do love seeing different colored jackets on the better riders, because it makes you stand out. But if you're a less than average rider, I wouldn't want to stand out too much, because it'll accentuate your faults.

BAC
Nov. 12, 2011, 09:59 PM
But if you're a less than average rider, I wouldn't want to stand out too much, because it'll accentuate your faults.

A good judge is going to notice your faults whether you're wearing a navy jacket or lime green.

Sarah Rachel
Nov. 12, 2011, 10:02 PM
A good judge is going to notice your faults whether you're wearing a navy jacket or lime green.
Hahaha, that's assuming that it's a good judge. Today, you just never know. Plus, in a big u/s class, sometimes that can make the difference.
I'm pretty sure I would pay to see someone go into the hunters with a lime green jacket on. I mean really pay. :lol:

MorganLuvr848
Nov. 13, 2011, 09:37 AM
Hahaha, that's assuming that it's a good judge. Today, you just never know. Plus, in a big u/s class, sometimes that can make the difference.
I'm pretty sure I would pay to see someone go into the hunters with a lime green jacket on. I mean really pay. :lol:

If someone paid me I would do it!!! :lol:

pheasantknoll
Nov. 13, 2011, 11:01 AM
I'd like to come! Where are you showing this time of year in WI?

GingerJumper
Nov. 13, 2011, 11:05 AM

Would I get double money if I showed my VERY jumper-y TB in the High Performance hunters, while wearing the aforementioned coat? :D

Cheval Fashions
May. 18, 2012, 11:04 AM

To build on your comment about your Grand Prix jacket... i just purchased a Techlite Grand Prix jacket for my daughter to wear in Hunters- yes! (plain no collar detail/matching buttons etc - I can't seem to find a pic of the exact one though). It is actually spectacular - the colour is so rich (french navy ie. dark) and it doesn't even look like a tech material, it just has a slight sheen to it that will look so classy in the ring. Because it is a tech material it fits like a glove but is so comfy. I can't wait to get myself one (except with the collar detail that you spoke of, and fun buttons). The tailoring is classic and beautiful - highly recommend.

Crazy-Pony
May. 19, 2012, 05:52 AM
Helmet: Any approved helmet will do at the schooling level, although the more conservative the colour and design, the better when it comes to hunter and equitation classes.

Hair: If you have long hair, it should always be contained within a hairnet when you show. "Show bows", decorative hairnets that are meant to hang down your neck, are not generally considered appropriate in the hunter ring but they will do if you are not comfortable wearing your hair in any other way. Most hunter riders will flip their hair up under the helmet after putting it in a low ponytail to keep it neat and tidy. A regular hairnet should be used for long hair. For the jumpers, a ponytail will do but most riders will put their hair under the helmet instead to look as neat as possible.

Shirt: For informal summer shows, a tucked-in, solid-coloured polo shirt will be acceptable. In the winter, a tucked-in, solid-coloured turtle neck would also be appropriate. A collared show shirt would, of course, be best for a hunter or equitation class if you have one.

Jacket: In cooler weather, a fitted, solid-coloured sweater can be worn over your shirt. In the winter or if it is raining, a coat can be worn but the less bulky, the better. If you are on a budget and need to wear formal attire for a schooling show, a well-fitting blazer from a used clothing store can do the trick. Navy blue is the most classic colour for the hunter ring, but black, grey, brown and green are also acceptable.

Gloves: Riding gloves provide the finishing touch. Leather gloves are the classic choice but any type is acceptable for schooling shows. Black or brown gloves provide the nicest picture, while white gloves stand out too much and are not appropriate for hunter or equitation classes.

Breeches: Breeches should be beige or greenish-beige for showing. At very informal shows, darker breeches could be seen. At the schooling level, cleanliness and fit matter more than material or cut. White breeches are not appropriate for hunter classes. In the jumper ring, they are really only appropriate for big classes at the higher levels and therefore look out of place at the schooling level. Jodhpurs are acceptable for small children.

Boots: Black field boots (tall boots with laces) are the best choice, although any black or brown tall boot will do. Some federations allow the use of paddock boots with half chaps, but the rule is not universal so it is best to check your federation's rule book. In Canada, leather half chaps are acceptable as long as they match the paddock boots (this excludes FEI Children's classes). At the unsanctioned schooling level, most facilities are likely to allow half chaps.

Spurs: Spurs are optional. If you dedcide to use them, make sure that they are not pointed upwards.

http://showringready.blogspot.com/2011/01/what-to-wear-to-your-first-show-rider.html