PDA

View Full Version : Saddles with adjustable blocks - does the velcro area soften?

CalPal
Oct. 31, 2011, 12:31 PM
Hi All - looking at Toulouse Annice saddle. Have followed all the threads about them and know the pros and cons, but have found one of the non-adjustable ones, printed leather that looks like it will give me a reasonably priced "for now" option.

Question for anyone with a saddle that has adjustable blocks. The front flap seems pretty stiff, thinking primarily because of the long length of velcro there. Have you found that this tends to soften/have more give with time? Ironically, I doubt I'll even use the blocks.

Thanks!

mvp
Oct. 31, 2011, 01:49 PM
IMO, the flap will stay stiff. Or rather, you know that you can't do much to influence and soften the leather all sealed up from oily "nutrition" by the velco.

I'd oil the rest in my usual way: Pure neatsfoot on both sides. Then I'd accept what I had left. If this is otherwise the right saddle for your purposes, I wouldn't worry about the stiffness I had left in the flap.

CalPal
Oct. 31, 2011, 03:57 PM
IMO, the flap will stay stiff. Or rather, you know that you can't do much to influence and soften the leather all sealed up from oily "nutrition" by the velco.

I'd oil the rest in my usual way: Pure neatsfoot on both sides. Then I'd accept what I had left. If this is otherwise the right saddle for your purposes, I wouldn't worry about the stiffness I had left in the flap.

Thanks much, didn't want it to be a source of irritation for him, my oh so senstive TB. Going to try a ride in it tonight - weather was freakishly bad this weekend - of course, right when I brought saddles home to try!