PDA

View Full Version : Rider Saddle Fit

ownedbyapony
Oct. 30, 2011, 11:19 PM
I seem to be as hard to fit to as a saddle as my horse. :eek:

Here is a photo of the saddle in question. This saddle feels very nice to sit in and very comfortable compared to some others I've tried but sadly it doesn't fit my horse nor does it seem to fit me well.

What exactly is wrong with how the saddle fits me? It seems to me like the flap is too long and slightly the wrong shape. I also noticed that this saddle puts me in a chair seat but that is most likely because if slid forward way too much onto her shoulders during the ride. Is the seat size okay?

alittlegray
Oct. 30, 2011, 11:43 PM
I know almost nothing about saddle fit, but I will say that it looks like the seat is a little too big which is causing you to be sitting too far back behind the 'center' if that makes sense. A smaller seat size may put you forward into the flap more.

Of course, I could be (and likely am) completely wrong.

Rel6
Oct. 31, 2011, 12:36 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by the wrong shape, but the flap doesn't look that long. I actually think it fits your leg pretty nicely (could it be a hair shorter? sure. But I don't think it fits badly.)

Seat is the same thing as the saddle, looks like it fits pretty well if slightly too big (but again, nothing major.)

As far as the chair seat goes, thats partly from where the stirrup bar is set. I have the same problem, and looked for a different saddle that put my leg more under me. I've found that a lot of stirrup bars are set further forward now so when a rider with a long knee to heel rides in it they do not have the chair seat problem at all. Unfortunately it doesn't help a shorter rider like me.

BUT a part of the chair seat is also you. Your leg is actually pushing the stirrup leather more forward than wear (I think) it would hang, so thats a flaw in your equitation not the saddle (I don't know how much the saddle is helping though.)

ownedbyapony
Oct. 31, 2011, 01:14 AM
Now that you mention the stirrup bar it actually is set a lot further up compared to a Bates CC for example.

ohrebecca
Oct. 31, 2011, 08:19 AM
No advice here, but if that's a Crosby Centennial, feel free to send it my way ;-)

ownedbyapony
Nov. 3, 2011, 12:06 AM
^^ It will be up for sale! ;)