PDA

View Full Version : Going to "pony up" and keep my promise..

alittlegray
Oct. 31, 2011, 12:09 AM
to post the videos from DD's trips at zone finals. I've never publicly posted a video of my child before, so please take it easy. I have a flame suit, but she is 13 so be nice :)

Her First Trip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX8eS4C1vqg)

I thought this one was beautiful. They have been focused all year on pace, track and rhythm and I think she really brought that into the ring with her.

Her Second Trip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RacWqC7OZMM)

She got long to fence one here, and a little short to fence two as well.

She had a great weekend, we learned a lot. And you can see why she is leasing him out and moving on, lol! Her legs grew about 8 inches this year - her 6'1" assistant trainer can get on in her saddle and he doesn't need to adjust the stirrups. She's all legs, lol.

He hasn't been leased officially yet, but that was still her final show with him as she is just so long in the leg that it is starting to look funny. She's not tall, just 5'4" but unfortunately its all in the leg. It is time for pony to bring another short stirrup kid into the children's pony ring.

Honestly, I'm so proud of her I could bust. She has come SO FAR this year, and really will be a soft and lovely rider one day. We went to WIHS last night, and the hunger in her eyes was palpable so I know I'm on the hook a while longer, lol. DH and I may both have to sell a kidney on craigslist to pay for it, but it will be worth it. (really, kidding about the kidney thing. Maybe..)

cottonXCblondie
Oct. 31, 2011, 12:24 AM
she looks good! calm and comfortable over the course. when i noticed the big pile of decoration near the entry gate, i thought of how my girl would react to it; with ridiculousness of course.

alittlegray
Oct. 31, 2011, 12:29 AM
There were a LOT of messy moments in that indoor, with the moving green curtains and the decorations. Her pony is an absolute saint, and just marched around.

MHM
Oct. 31, 2011, 12:39 AM
Nice!

I would think it will be easy to lease out the pony- he looks sweet as can be. :)

Rel6
Oct. 31, 2011, 12:42 AM
She has come SO FAR this year, and really will be a soft and lovely rider one day.

You don't give her enough credit...she already is a soft and lovely rider!

My only question is whats the idea behind having her stirrups so long? Her heel seemed pretty flat, and even without it that down she seemed to have very little angle to her knee. I'm assuming its how her trainer likes it I'm just curious what the thought is behind it. Seems like she'd have a deeper heel with it one or two holes shorter (not to mention if you're worried about her look too big on the pony.) I noticed it watching eq trips at Capital Challenge as well.

alittlegray
Oct. 31, 2011, 12:55 AM
I can tell you that from my end, it doesn't have anything to do with equitation style it is DD's short achilles tendons. She's already had one foot surgery and we are holding off on a release surgery until we know for sure it is the only answer.

Looking at videos of all the riders in our barn, however, they do tend to have a flatter heel and longer leg position than I ever rode with.

KateKat
Oct. 31, 2011, 01:16 AM
Wow you aren't kidding that she is all leg! Lovely rider and at 13, she has lots of time ahead of her! Tell her great job!

Kryswyn
Oct. 31, 2011, 02:40 AM
You're right the first trip was lovely. The second trip was screwed up because once again the pony chose to poop on the way to the first fence and your daughter didn't add leg to compensate. Not saying she could've saved that fence; it takes a LOT of experience to suddenly realize that your mount is pooping while you're so focused on going forward. If you noticed, he did the same thing before the 1st trip's 1st fence, only not as big a poop (and she almost missed that fence because of it).

The other thing I noticed is that the pony seemed generally sour with his ears almost pinned back. If he's just listening to your daughter, what is she telling him?

Your daughter has the legs I'd kill for (or give a kidney for, kidding, maybe ;) ). I assume that with short Achilles tendons, she's not allowed/encouraged to wear high heels? Have you looked at negative heeled shoes for her?

sunray
Oct. 31, 2011, 07:40 AM
Very Lovely!

And I am sure you will have him leased in no time- any pony that will march around indoors like that is worth his weight in gold :)

pm59
Oct. 31, 2011, 08:05 AM
Gorgeous trips, really nice pony and your daughter is a very pretty rider!! You done good Mom!!! Hope the Kidney donation goes well, I see a great future ahead for your daughter!

Mayaty02
Oct. 31, 2011, 08:12 AM
lovely! and what a great pony, I wish I had him for my short stirrup kid who is ready to move up!

ohrebecca
Oct. 31, 2011, 09:17 AM
I think your DD is a very talented, lovely rider - I wish I had her talent when I was her age! Pony is an absolute doll, too. Shouldn't have any problems finding a leasor!

fordtraktor
Oct. 31, 2011, 09:56 AM
Your daughter is an adorable little rider, she looks terrific. Great pony. Good jumper, maybe a little lazy but that makes him the perfect children's pony IMO!

Consult a doctor first, but I've had good luck using the old-school 'standing on the steps for 15 minutes a day' method for stretching the achilles. (Toes on the step, heel off, weight in heel to mimic heel down. Hang on to banister and watch TV or read a book to entertain yourself. Don't "bounce", just gentle stretching.) It works well for the average kid but I would not try it without a doc's approval if your child has a medical issue.

southernbell
Oct. 31, 2011, 10:29 AM
Adorable! Thanks for sharing!

findeight
Oct. 31, 2011, 10:45 AM
Very nice. Lots to like in her.

To be picky, you know, we HAVE to pick a little, especially when she is such a nice rider and just a little tweaking will really make her shine, a few little details will improve the total picture.

IMO she has just gotten too big and leggy for the Pony, as I am sure you know, and that is causing most of the leg thing. She may not have a real deep heel here but she has weight in the iron properly and looks steady enough down the lower leg. Just no Pony barrel there to help support it. He seems a bit of a choppy mover as well.

I don't know what looks worse, too long a leg for the Pony's barrel or cranking up the stirrups so they look like jockeys. Fall is always...interesting...as alot of the kids finish off the year on Ponies they have outgrown. It is what it is.;)

The other thing may have to do with the Pony being a slug-she is dropped behind and having to grind away in the seat to push him along, keeps her shoulder a bit far back and the trip does not flow as the best do. He doesn't like it one bit. It shows in the ears and overall attitude...but, again, she can't really use the lower leg as effectively as she would with more horse under her.

I'd like to see her work on a more closed hip angle for a lighter seat, shorter rein and not so much shoulder, bigger horse will help with that.

Overall? She does a great job for what she has and reflects solid basics on a Pony that is pretty much at the top of what he can do. Time for both to move on.

alittlegray
Oct. 31, 2011, 01:42 PM
You can pick a little, as long as it is constructive and not mean, :lol:

Findeight, I totally agree. Right about June she started switching off to her trainer's lesson horse ocassionally just to start getting the feel of the horse stride, and we started making it known he would be for lease. Before the great leg uprising of '11, I was hoping we'd get one more year out of him lol. Not happening. He also usually pins pretty well in the hack and it is super unusual for him to be completely out of the ribbons, so I think the choppy is a combination of the things you described above.

The funny thing about your post is that her last few lessons have started focusing on perfecting that riding on the front of her seat bones and her hip angle, lol. Now that her hand and seat are nicely independent of one another that is the next goal it seems.

She has also *finally* started to pick up some other "ok, help me school this one" rides which is something she needs. Her pony is so good that he doesn't make her work as hard as she needs to if she is going to progress. He's been fantastic for her as a learning mount to develop her position and seat and hands, but now she needs something that will make her USE that knowledge. With Charlie, the sloppier and more inexperienced they are the more he just steps up and packs around. I do wish I had the budget to put her in the show ring once or twice a month, as I think she could really be someone special with the same mileage under her belt that a lot of the riders she is up against will have. However, I realize I'm her mom and I am completely biased.

The second trip was screwed up because once again the pony chose to poop on the way to the first fence and your daughter didn't add leg to compensate.

Yep..that actually isn't usually a problem as he always poops and she almost always compensates well, but she was totally focused on her track and felt it too late. I was proud of her for making a firm decision before the fence and saying "no, we are going long" instead of letting him add what would have been a messier chip when she realized the distance wasn't perfect. This pony will jump from anywhere if asked, bad distance, crooked, whatever, bless his heart. Unfortunately in front of fence two she looked down for a moment and when she looked up the distance was gone and it got deep. Pony saved her there.

Good jumper, maybe a little lazy but that makes him the perfect children's pony IMO!

*WARNING* Shameless Mom brag ahead!

He is the king of the Children's ponies. They only did 5 shows together (due to our budget) and they still won the circuit at Culpeper (4 of the shows were there) and *should* finish in the top 10 of the division for VHSA as well as qaulifying in 11th position out of 82 ponies in the zone for finals as of the cutoff date. The #1 pony had 14 shows to our 5.

Seriously, it is the perfect job for him. He has a long stride and can get down any line, but he's super adjustable and just lazy enough that he's not going anywhere with that stride. It is the perfect combination of "can get the job done but isn't running away with a little rider." He needs a little leg, will move off if you ask him to, but is a great (safe) stepping stone for that akward space between short stirrup and a division pony. He doesn't have a mean bone in his body, and I wish I could give him some growth hormone and get him a couple hands taller!! It kills me to let him go.

Foundgreenergrass
Oct. 31, 2011, 06:27 PM
Your daughter is a beautiful rider. The first round was great, it really looks like her and her pony have the perfect pace together. It is nice to see a kid getting great distances. I dont think kids are taught on how to look for a distance like they should be and coming up the outside line you can she her give a tiny push to get the perfect distance, smart cookie :)

I also loved that when she made a mistake getting the long to the first single in the second video she saw it and compenstated for it and did not sit down on the ponies back and crack him in the mouth. You see this a lot also with young riders that get a long distance and can not seem to stay with their pony and the pony gets punished on accident.

She is a beautiful rider and really looks like she has a quality trainer, and the nice ponies always help ;)

alittlegray
Oct. 31, 2011, 09:30 PM
Thank you all for the compliments. As her mom, of course I think she is great. I hesitate to share sometimes because I don't want to tell people she is a good rider and then find out I'm blind and she stinks, lol!

Found, I'm super proud of her eye. She has a great eye and has really learned over the last year how to rate her ride and nail the distances. I actually think you see it best her second trip the last two strides to the last fence. She knew she was a little far out and you can see her just subtly increase his stride a hair to make it fit. 18 months ago that would have been a messy chip on her part.

Her trainer gets all the credit - Teddi Ismond is amazing and if you are in VA and need to make a change pick up the phone. She's tough but fair, and will push you to be better than you thought you could be.

Limerick
Oct. 31, 2011, 10:22 PM
Lovely trip-just watched the first one. What a sweet pony-he is probably leased through this thread alone-ideal Children's pony. Your daughter is going to be a very elegant horse rider. :yes:

luckeys71
Oct. 31, 2011, 11:05 PM
I didn't think she looked unusually large on the pony. I certianly see kids looking much larger, especially on the smaller ponies. Wow, those are some long, thin legs! She is going to look lovely on a nice equitation horse. Your husband and you might both have to sell kidneys! I am sure you will both do fine with just one!

alittlegray
Nov. 1, 2011, 12:46 PM
I certianly see kids looking much larger, especially on the smaller ponies.

She pinned 5th for that first trip and we were a little surprised given what we saw for the other 38 trips that day. I figure part of it may be that the judge felt they weren't suitable together? I know that is part of the package for the children's ponies. If you don't know my DD is just turned 13 she may look 17 with those legs. Maybe he though she was older?

ParadoxFarm
Nov. 1, 2011, 01:03 PM
I think that first trip was lovely. You never know WHAT the judges are looking at. She (and you) should be happy with the lovely ride that it was. I hope you find the perfect "next horse" for her. I like that in the second video with the second jump, she fixed her distance to the second part of that line. You should be proud. :) And don't worry if you can't do all the shows. Enjoy the ones you DO get to go to.

Dune
Nov. 1, 2011, 01:12 PM
I too don't think she looks "that tall" on her pony, you should watch some of the European kids on their ponies!:lol: I think your daughter did a great job, too bad you aren't closer, I have a lovely, CHUNKY (as in, will take up ALL of that long leg!) large she could jock for me any day of the week. :yes: And kudos to you and your trainer as well, for getting kiddo there and realizing it's time for pon-pon to scale back a bit. That's cool.

alittlegray
Nov. 1, 2011, 02:06 PM
Oh no, don't get me wrong....we are THRILLED with everything! Very happy and proud of her. There is no way to know what it was that we missed or what quality they were looking for, you are correct. I was simply hazarding a guess based on the fact that she does look so long these days, lol.

Dune, she's not tall at all. She is very average height for her age. She is simply ALL legs. Her upper body fits him fine, and in that respect she could keep riding him for a couple more years as he has a slightly longer neck and it balances her out. But his barrel is VERY round, and even with that she is still hanging below his belly in the leg.

Some photos to illustrate:

Can you get a feel for his big barrel here? (http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/40718_10150281590115722_809535721_15135218_849626_ n.jpg)

^this was a year ago.

My DD is the shorter one on the right, who's legs are just as long as her friend's who is 5 inches taller than her (http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/247738_10150614446770722_809535721_18832033_349815 _n.jpg) My DD has her hand on her hip, so you can see where her hipline actually is under her shirt.

Here she is with her trainer's 16h narrow thoroughbred lesson horse for comparison: (please forgive the sweat, it was about 9000 degrees outside)

She is not tall... (http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/374444_10150912076365722_809535721_21663026_903579 199_n.jpg)

But the height she does have is all in her legs. (http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/378935_10150912089645722_809535721_21663098_199255 5851_n.jpg)

We are very excited and grateful that she qualified for and got to go to finals. It was a great experience for her, all around, and a nice way for her to end her time with her pony.

ParadoxFarm
Nov. 1, 2011, 05:46 PM
She's a cutey. And long legs are a good thing. Once you find the right match, anyway. Good luck.