PDA

View Full Version : Trainers in Illinois

indyflorida
Oct. 30, 2011, 09:52 PM
Hi all! i have never posted here but have lurked for a couple weeks a friend suggested I ask if anyone has any ideas for traienrs where ill be moving I am moving to Illinois toward the end of December with the intention of bringing my horses with me i would like to find a trainer who shows regularly i will be living in Lake County i have never been there and it will be a cold move since i wont know anyone Any advice I can get would be greatly appreciated i have 2 horses both jumpers Ive made so many avoidable decisions when it comes to finding a new trainer since ive moved so much dont want to make the same mistake again as i plan on staying here for quite a while. Feel free to reply here or private me if you dont like contributing publically

VR00M
Oct. 30, 2011, 10:25 PM
What kind of showing if any are you looking for? How far are you willing to drive? Are you looking for a big name trainer?

dp1092
Oct. 31, 2011, 02:24 AM
Katie Kappler :)

rapazzini09
Oct. 31, 2011, 11:22 AM
palladia farms and margaret clayton (http://www.palladiafarm.com/wordpress/)
or
kristen vanderveen and bull run jumpers (http://www.bullrunjumpers.com/)

Giddy-up
Oct. 31, 2011, 11:33 AM
palladia kristen vanderveen and bull run jumpers (http://www.bullrunjumpers.com/)

Just an FYI Kristen spends the majority of the year on the road or traveling for shows. She doesn't really have a "home base" in IL.

There are quite a few trainers to pick from. I think a lot will be determined by what types of shows you want to do, the intensity level & what you are willing to spend. Welcome! :)

indyflorida
Oct. 31, 2011, 03:41 PM
wow thank you so much for the suggestions these all seem like a bit of a drive though on mapquest. our house is in gurnee i had a couple people tell me to check out hidden knolls does anyone know if theyhave an allweather arena or a place to ridwe year round? i guess there is a trainer there who travels to florida during the winter and does show quite a bit. that is what im looking for. also anyone knw anything about fields and fences?

dags
Oct. 31, 2011, 04:32 PM
Hidden Knoll gets a glowing recommendation from me. They keep largely to themselves, and thus are pretty free from the drama of that area. And you would be hard pressed to find a more state of the art facility within 200 miles. The indoor is great, footing is great, care is great, eurowalker, treadmill, great ventilation. I love what they've built up there.

Jill Knowles is wonderful. Very kind, almost to a fault and probably doesn't get the recognition she deserves. She's a hard worker and adamant about the best care for the horses. She winters in Wellington, specializes in jumpers.

FineAlready
Oct. 31, 2011, 04:45 PM
Hidden Knoll gets a glowing recommendation from me. They keep largely to themselves, and thus are pretty free from the drama of that area. And you would be hard pressed to find a more state of the art facility within 200 miles. The indoor is great, footing is great, care is great, eurowalker, treadmill, great ventilation. I love what they've built up there.

Jill Knowles is wonderful. Very kind, almost to a fault and probably doesn't get the recognition she deserves. She's a hard worker and adamant about the best care for the horses. She winters in Wellington, specializes in jumpers.

I agree with this assessment of Jill Knowles.

Foundgreenergrass
Oct. 31, 2011, 05:16 PM
Lake County and Cook Country area are huge for hunter jumper barns. There are a lot to choose from and have a lot of very seasoned and experienced trainers along with nice barns in the area.

Connie Stevens at Matchmaker farms is a very nice place and Connie is great.

Also in Elgin Kim Angerman at Tukaway Farms is a very nice private (reasonable priced) farm, my horse is here and we love it.

PM me if you have any questions about farms I have been in the area for a long time and know a lot about the industry up here :)
Hope you find a good match for you and your horsey friend

huntr_eq_blonde
Oct. 31, 2011, 05:22 PM
Through my struggles of finding a decent barn to take lessons at, I have an intimate knowledge of the good and the bad barns. In fact, I put together a spreadsheet of the ones in the area, both good and bad.

also anyone knw anything about fields and fences?

I rode at F&F for two years. They built a fairly nice add-on to the facility within the past 5 years. Would NOT recommend it as a place to board. Trainers aren't the best and due to the enormity of the place, it gives off a "factory" vibe.

Hidden Knoll as well as Autumn Road Farm, which operates out of HK, would be something to look into. Absolutely gorgeous facility! Trainers have students who compete in the big national shows and do pretty well.

Another really nice facility is Country Ridge Stables in Mundelein. Springfield Stables, which has two trainers (Gem Stone Farm is one) operating out of it, is a facility that is on par with Hidden Knoll. It is a little further out--in Mettawa.

There are also couple of decent barns in Mundelein and Hawthorne Woods.

Foundgreenergrass
Oct. 31, 2011, 05:33 PM
I have a friend that rides and boards at Country Ridge Stables in Mundelein. Its beautiful out there.

FineAlready
Oct. 31, 2011, 08:31 PM
Connie Stevens recently moved to Wisconsin and is training out of Newstone Farm in Oconomowoc...

Serah
Oct. 31, 2011, 09:27 PM
If you are looking to spend the winter in Florida, my best recommendation would be Brookwood Farm/Carl & Rush Weeden.

BIFHorses
Oct. 31, 2011, 11:18 PM
Sent you a private message

Foundgreenergrass
Nov. 1, 2011, 03:48 AM
Who's training out of match maker now and it is called something else?

FineAlready
Nov. 1, 2011, 11:25 AM
Who's training out of match maker now and it is called something else?

No idea who is at Connie's old location. I think Connie is still using the business name "Matchmaker" but is just operating her businesss in Wisconsin now.

Jessyka89
Nov. 1, 2011, 06:32 PM
I have a few friends who ride at Hidden Knoll and I have taken a lesson there. I'm not sure how you could get much better without going to the East Coast.

The website is www.hiddenknollfarm.com

The facilities are impeccable. I haven't taken a lesson with Jill, I took one with an assistant trainer who is no longer there.

It's on the north side of Chicago, it takes about 45 min - 1 hour from Winnetka (where my friend lives who rides there). Worth the trip in my eyes.

MamaLiz
Nov. 3, 2011, 11:31 AM
Connie moved Matchmaker Ltd. from Old Barrington Farm to Newstone in Oconomowoc but her assistant trainer/pro rider, Meagan Murray, is still in IL. Meagan joined Vanessa Berger at Happenstance Farm in Zion. We followed her there and so far, so good... the people/care are great, friendly, no drama, great turnout, nice indoor and outdoor. We are still doing clinics with Connie.

http://www.happenstancefarm.com/

We're doing A and AA shows and a couple of the girls (my daughter included) are hoping to do Maclays down the road.

skittlespony
Nov. 3, 2011, 08:54 PM
I have heard very good things about Lynn Jayne her riders do very well in the equitation.

Serah
Nov. 3, 2011, 11:27 PM
I have heard very good things about Lynn Jayne her riders do very well in the equitation.

Lynn is absolutely phenomenal. I cannot say enough wonderful things about her, however, she is a hike from Gurnee and the OP has said that farms in a much closer range were a bit of a drive.

Brookwood Farm.