PDA

View Full Version : Need helmet rec for a toddler.

Lion1024
Oct. 30, 2011, 03:29 PM
My 3 year old wants to keep up her riding lessons so I'm searching for a better fitting helmet. I have an XS Aegis on her now that fits ok. It is stable front to back, but rocks more side to side than ideal. Her head is rather oval shaped (like mine).

I fit well in Charles Owen, so I drove down to Dover to try one on her. The smallest size they carry is a 52. It almost fit. Almost. Just a touch too big. And while CO claims to make it in a 50 and 51, I'm now hearing they no longer sell those because they couldn't get it approved.

So, now my next question -does anyone else make a helmet for a tiny oval shaped head? I tried her in a friend's size small international and could tell even that wasn't the right shape. Too round.

Any other suggestions?

Come Shine
Oct. 31, 2011, 10:38 AM
What about a Troxel with the dial fit?

alto
Oct. 31, 2011, 11:05 AM
You might contact CO directly - there were several choices in child helmets in Ireland.

spina
Oct. 31, 2011, 06:00 PM
agree with alto, I think CO starts smaller than 52. Most importantly, measure her head! If you local tack store doesn't have enough options, call one of the big stores and ask them what they have that will fit a whatever-inch head.

That Jr. Aegis fits 19-21 1/4", which is a 6 - 6 3/4. Tipperary makes an XS that fits 19 1/2 - 19 7/8, IRH & Troxel make adjustable helmets that start at around 20" (hat size 6 1/2).

good luck!

myvanya
Nov. 1, 2011, 10:07 AM
You might try the XS ovation schooler.

I was wearing a CO GR8 and it recently wore out (the inner padding was moving around) and I didn't want to spend a couple hundred dollars on a CO right now. I wear a 6 7/8 and got the size small but they do make an XS and seem to fit similarly to my old CO.

edited to add: I also find the Ovation helmet to be much lighter than my CO was, which could be positive for a toddler or younger child. My nephew (who is just over a year old) wears an aegis and I notice even that makes his head more tippy than usual (and he is quite capable. He has been walking for months already).

Sunnyhorse
Nov. 1, 2011, 07:06 PM
Seconding the Ovation -- my trainer bought one for her 3-year-old granddaughter, and it looks good and fits well. Seems to be comfortable, too -- she never wants to take it off! :D