PDA

View Full Version : Winter Blankets

Foundgreenergrass
Oct. 30, 2011, 03:25 PM
So..the nice weather seems to be fading quickly-for those of us in the north at least. Sheet weather will soon be leaving also :cry:

With that being sad.
What winter blankets do you use and love? Whats the best bang for your buck? Hoods..attached or unattached?

Links apperciated.

hequestrian
Oct. 30, 2011, 05:26 PM
Well I have a Rambo medium that I love. It is so durable. It's over 5 years old and besides treating it it works wonderful. I also have a few weatherbetas which are nice for the price. They do the job. They do tend to run smaller IMO.

I don't have a hood yet but I will be investing for this year. :)

Chic Hunter
Oct. 30, 2011, 08:22 PM
Dover Int'l Supreme Heavy weight turnout.

afox2332
Oct. 30, 2011, 08:23 PM
I had a Stormshield I got from Schneider Saddlery YEARS ago, and just loved it. It never came off, ripped - ended up lending it to someone in the barn one year and never saw it again.

Now I have a Rambo I got so long ago it was $200, and it is on it's 2nd horse. It is wonderful, too.

But my sister needed a blanket, and I'd just received a Schneider's catalogue...so we ordered this one Thursday and received it Saturday ($85 + shipping):

http://www.sstack.com/horse-blankets-and-sheets_waterproof-turnout-blankets_euro-fit/stormshield--classic-euro-1200d-comfort-collar-turnout/

If it is not the quality it used to be I will be sure to proclaim it!

MorganLuvr848
Oct. 30, 2011, 08:27 PM
Schneiders and Amigo. I love the unattached necks so that you have buy the one that fits your horses actual neck and you can take it off when grooming. I find that both of these keep their waterproofing for a long time and the quality is very good for the price.

ParadoxFarm
Oct. 30, 2011, 09:11 PM
I second the Dover blankets. I have a few that are several years old. I also love the Tack of th Day blanket I got last winter.

schneiderssaddlery
Nov. 1, 2011, 04:31 PM
Hello Foundgreenergrass,

We offer a variety of styles for both stable and turnout blankets. We are always striving to improve the quality and fit of all of blankets to meet our customers’ expectations and needs. We offer different styles to fit different conformations and sizes. We have a variety of weights and deniers depending on how hard your horse is on blankets. If you haven’t checked out of blankets please take a look.

http://www.sstack.com/horse-blankets-and-sheets_waterproof-turnout-blankets/.

If you have any questions please feel free to call us at 1-800-365-1311 or email us at service@sstack.com

Thank you,
Halle

VR00M
Nov. 1, 2011, 07:34 PM
I loveeee the baker blankets! I have had great success with them, plus I LOVE the look of them.

BayHorseKindOfGirl
Nov. 1, 2011, 07:49 PM
I loveeee the baker blankets! I have had great success with them, plus I LOVE the look of them.

I totally agree. I've always loved the baker blankets:yes:

sarcam02
Nov. 2, 2011, 03:40 PM
I have strong opinions on blankets and have owned a vast multitude of them over the years. Hands down the best bang for the buck turnout is.....drumroll please... the Shire's Stormcheeta Combo. The best price I see this year is $199 (with free shipping). The only negative is that it does not come smaller than a 69" I am lobbying Shires to make them for the little ones in the family.

I also really like the Bossy's Bib much more than a slinky. No shoulder rubs ever.

http://www.netequestrian.com/horse/3281/horse_care/horse_blankets/shires_stormcheeta_combo_turnout_rug.asp?pId=3281&cgId=2&cId=32&scId=120

sarcam02
Nov. 2, 2011, 03:41 PM
I totally agree. I've always loved the baker blankets:yes:

I also like Baker's for "hanging out at home" but you either need to use the aformentioned Bossy bib or get the custom satin shoulder lining imho

akhunterrider
Nov. 2, 2011, 05:29 PM
I have strong opinions on blankets and have owned a vast multitude of them over the years. Hands down the best bang for the buck turnout is.....drumroll please... the Shire's Stormcheeta Combo. The best price I see this year is $199 (with free shipping). The only negative is that it does not come smaller than a 69" I am lobbying Shires to make them for the little ones in the family.

I also really like the Bossy's Bib much more than a slinky. No shoulder rubs ever.

http://www.netequestrian.com/horse/3281/horse_care/horse_blankets/shires_stormcheeta_combo_turnout_rug.asp?pId=3281&cgId=2&cId=32&scId=120

How do shires blanket's fit in comparison to weatherbeeta and Rambo?

spina
Nov. 2, 2011, 06:09 PM
Rambo, hands down, best blankets ever. Best design, best construction, best fabric, best variety of styles and weights. (and a 3 year guarantee!)

In a bit of an economic pinch, I'd choose Dover's Northwind blankets. Same or similar indestructable, waterproof fabric (ballistic nylon), similar roomy cut as Rambo, good variety of styles, not as good looking but they're about half the price, and also have a 3 year guarantee.

I don't use hoods, and don't understand the appeal of a combo neck when you can get a detachable neck and have the versatility if you wanted a regular blanket.

I've given up on blankets that don't have an outer shell that's ballistic nylon. Maybe someday, in another life, I'll own a fairy princess horse that takes good care of her clothes and I'll have more options.

wishnwell
Nov. 3, 2011, 08:55 AM
I'm going to order from Schneider's today. Got my catalog and I'm more confused on what to get.
I have a 15H Arab/QH cross. Narrow chest, QH butt. All blankets I've had in the past fit horribly in the front. No matter what, the neck opening is huge and snow and rain just goes down his chest. The next blanket needs to prevent that. Even though he's narrow in the chest/shoulder, he gets shoulder rubs like crazy and I need to prevent that. Last winter, by mid March he was almost raw.
So I'm looking for something that has a bit more neck coverage, especially coming up on the chest area, but won't be too big for his small stature.
I do like this because of the contour neck
http://www.sstack.com/horse-blankets-and-sheets_waterproof-turnout-blankets_euro-fit/stormshield-1680d-euro-extreme/
But didn't know if it would be too bulky.
Thoughts?

mustangsal85
Nov. 3, 2011, 09:14 AM
I have a SmartPak Heavy Turnout blanket... I LOOOOVE it. I got it last year for my pony's Christmas present (:-D) and i have been nothing but happy with it. Now granted he does not go out for hours at a time as we have limited turnout so it hasn't exactly gotten beaten up as a regularly used turnout blanket would but I use it as his heavy blanket and it's so plush and warm that I feel like I could use it on my bed as a blanket! It's heavy without being bulky and it still looks new this year. I couldn't recommend it any more AND it's cheap!

Oh and also they run pretty true to size. Mine is a 78 and it may be a hair big on him but nothing that I would need to adjust.

ElementFarm
Nov. 3, 2011, 04:18 PM
I agree with the Rambo fans, and I am happy with the few that I have. However I like my horse clothing to match and so if you're looking for good quality winter blankets in custom colors, check out Saratoga Horseworks. The noreaster is a great, durable turnout. My horses go out about 8hrs/day all winter, and they play rough with their buddies. I love that this blanket is tough enough to withstand all that. And my gelding is NOT nice to his PJs. Another bonus is that they are warm, but not bulky, so I can actually wash it at home in my front load machine.

salymandar
Nov. 3, 2011, 05:14 PM
I do not personally have Rambos, but they seem like durable blankets that last and fit pretty decently. Most of them have been for horses on the chunkier side. If I had the money to invest, I would probably get them. The Amigos also seem pretty durable and fit decently on a multitude of shapes.

Most of my sheets and blankets are of the Dover and Smartpak variety. My horse is on private turnout, so I don't know how they would handle a herd of rough horses, but he does like to chew on his blankets and they have survived (with some patches and repairs). I also put turnout sheets on top of all the blankets to help keep them clean and in good repair. I switch back and forth between two turnout sheets. I really like the Smartpak Thinsulate midweight. It is lightweight, but warm. I also have an ancient Weatherbeeta that is still kicking and I got a Dover riders? on ultra sale that is not top quality, but it fits fine and looks brand new after a year of use.

Even when fully bundled, none of the blankets shifted and he ended up with <slight> hair rubbing on the shoulders. I did not body clip until late winter last year, so this year will be the test since I recently clipped him. All this being said, I haven't really seen any blanket that does not cause any stress to a coat by the end of year, though.

cloudyandcallie
Nov. 3, 2011, 05:20 PM
As of last night, and I've not checked today as I just got home, there were 2 rambo optimos with neck rug and liner on ebay, brand new, for 320 each plus 9$ shipping. A steal of a deal. Both new.
Both size 78.

My 2 horses have their optimos from last winter. And Cloudy has his old rambo california turnout with neck rug.
And Hattie has her bucas turnout that was on steal of a deal thread on coth for 200$ OFF.

I'm not wild about the bucas, but for 89$ we can live with it. The rambo blankets have always been my favorites.

Cloudy and Callie had rambos that lasted and lasted. i buried Callie in those two good as new rambos. I've never had a tear or anything wrong with the rambos. Altho the optimos are now made in china, rats.

EAY
Nov. 3, 2011, 08:00 PM
All this being said, I haven't really seen any blanket that does not cause any stress to a coat by the end of year, though.

My big TB mare spent all of last fall, winter and early spring in her Rambo Wugs and she never had any rubs. Part of that time she was unclipped, while eventually she had a trace clip and then a full body clip. Her Rambos just fit her really well.

We have quite a variety of blankets in our barn and the Rambos are, in my opinion, the best quality by far. They are also the only blankets I've seen that are consistently waterproof. Of course, they are pricy but as others have mentioned you can get deals on eBay and can often find them on sale (though usually at the end of the season). I got mine at the end of summer and got a good deal on the previous season's colors.