PDA

View Full Version : Tail Bags anyone?

roamingnome
Oct. 30, 2011, 12:14 PM
I'm wondering if any of you have experiences with different brands of tail bags.

I realize most people in H/J land don't use them, (I had never seen one until last winter) but am hoping to use one on my horse this winter, his tail used to be fantastic and while it is still fuller than most, I am hoping to get it back to it's former glory :winkgrin:

He would be wearing it all winter to keep the Texas clay (aka CEMENT :mad::no::eek: ) from destroying it again, so when we go home next summer it isn't sad looking...again.

Any info would be helpful! Thanks :)

enjoytheride
Oct. 30, 2011, 12:15 PM
I use the braid in lycra tail bags. They will stay in for a long time and don't damage the tail.

Xanthoria
Oct. 30, 2011, 12:22 PM
Yep - braid in type. After you knot the end, then knot the whole braid again so it's a big knot high up away from the ground/wet/dirt/snow etc.

And make sure your horse won't catch it in a fence or gate and rip it out! :no:

Take the whole thing down once a month and wash/condition the tail, and put on a new tail bag (or more often if it's really nasty out)

Phaxxton
Oct. 30, 2011, 12:46 PM
I love the lycra 3-tube, braid-in tail bags, too. They also come in fleece, but the fleece ones are quite a bit heavier.

I'm getting ready to bag most of my boys' tails for the winter, too... Just making sure we're for sure done with bugs for the year.

dab
Oct. 30, 2011, 12:49 PM
I like the 'ordinary' lycra tail bags -- Getting the entire tail into the 3-tube bags is not something I'm good at -- With the ordinary bags, I can braid the tail quickly, double it up, and have it hang to about hock level ... fast and clean --

I've noticed some are more stretchy than others -- The inexpensive ones I've gotten at horse expos are among my favorites since they've tended to be very stretchy --

enjoytheride
Oct. 30, 2011, 02:00 PM
If you get the stretchy 3 tube ones the trick is to stick your hand in the end of one of the tubes and scrinch the tube down around your hand until your fingers poke out the top. Then grab the tail and hang onto it with your fingers and just pull your hand back taking the tail all the way down the tube with you.

candysgirl
Oct. 30, 2011, 02:14 PM
I just get the super cheap lycra ones. They get destroyed every now and again, but they're $2-3 so I really don't mind replacing them.

spook1
May. 8, 2013, 07:38 AM
Reviving this thread..........

Can someone tell/show me the to use the 3 tube braid in bag? I can not figure it out.:eek:
T.I.A.

ElementFarm
May. 8, 2013, 09:14 AM
my hunters live in tail bags all fall/winter/spring. The gray mare with the thin white tail lives in one all year. I find just keeping the tails up and not snagged/muddy etc is the key, so while I have spent money on the 3-tube ones, and the velcro tab ones, etc, what I use now: cheapo trouser socks.
Yup, get 6-pack for like 4 bucks at Walmart. One sock, cut with regular scissors about 3-4 inches straight down the middle of the top. Braid tail (after washing/conditioning) and secure with standard braiding elastic. Double or triple fold tail. Put hand into sock, grab bottom of folded tail, pull sock up over braid. Pull half of the top "tab" you created through a gap in the braid and tie it in a simple loose square knot with the other tab.
I take out and re-condition monthly during the non-show season and about weekly or before shows the rest of the year. If the knot gets too tight or tangled, I can cut the whole sock off--it cost about 40 cents.