PDA

View Full Version : Phych

Jumpmuncher123
Oct. 29, 2011, 10:06 PM
I phych myself out before every show. I am fine the day of the show, and just kind of "chill", but about a week before a show, i panic, fuel my nerves, and just start riding very defensivly. Do any of you do this? And do any of you have any tricks? I have a show next sunday, and i can already feel that dreaded ball of nerves hiding in my chest... Help!

TheJenners
Oct. 29, 2011, 11:14 PM
Psych.

Take some deep breaths, go pee for the last time, and just focus on how much fun this is supposed to be.

fourmares
Oct. 30, 2011, 01:15 AM
1) You do this for fun. 2) No one, except you, cares how you ride... well, your horse does, but... you know. 3) If you make a mistake EVERYONE there has made that same mistake at least once. 4) Most of the people at the show aren't watching you ride... really, it's true. 5) The judge truely WANTS you to do well. 6) No matter what happens your horse will still love you... provided you have carrots.

If all else fails sing (quietly), or hum, a happy song.

meupatdoes
Oct. 30, 2011, 02:35 AM
Try to remember that your horse is at this show and in this ring with you. People get so nervous they completely forget about their horse, who has done all of their lessons with them, and done all of their practicing with them, and suddenly the show is all about them them them.

Remember all the work HE has put in with you, as a team, getting ready for the show, remember that you are not alone in the ring, as he is there too and knows his job, and then ride to make the show the most pleasant and confidence building experience for HIM, regardless of how you feel about it.

Make your goal be to make your horse feel like a complete rockstar, no matter what the result is, and suddenly you won't be riding the whole show "against him" or as if all the work he has put in doesn't exist. Trying to make your horse feel like a rockstar makes you ride to a scary looking jump/corner more, "I will build your confidence through this corner and be here for you and you will feel like a rockstar when we get past it," rather than, "omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg don't spook horse don't spook horse omg." One of those rides is about the horse, the other is all about the rider.