PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on SUPER QUIET Clippers

lilmisshunter
Oct. 28, 2011, 11:03 AM
I would like to know if anyone can give me recommendations on Horse clippers...Brand and opinion. I would prefer some clippers that are quiet. :) I am overwhelmed with the stock that is out there. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

EAY
Oct. 28, 2011, 11:06 AM
Are you looking for body clippers?

lilmisshunter
Oct. 28, 2011, 11:07 AM
Yes, I should've stated that. :)

BAC
Oct. 28, 2011, 12:35 PM
I don't do my own body clipping but I have read lots of the comments about them and I seem to remember that lots of people claim the Lister Star clippers to be very quiet, as well as fitting in the hand more easily because of their slightly smaller size and less weight.

You should be able to find lots of clipper reviews if you do a search.

alibi_18
Oct. 28, 2011, 12:51 PM
First few times I clipped my mare, she is really noise sensitive, I've put her earplugs on. Now, she is way better behaved and is only scared at the evil snake like extension cable...which I've learn to hide from her sight pretty good!

I also practiced her having the clipper running next to us while doing her regular grooming sessions and 'brushed' her with the clipper turned off. Touching her everywhere, like a massage. It did help tremendously.

Some clippers might be quieter but you still should buy one that is the more effective, because the job will be done faster!

Lord Helpus
Oct. 28, 2011, 01:02 PM
They make clippers which have the motor in a separate housing which you can hang on a hook or pole (like a canister vacuum v. an upright.)

Since the motor is nowhere near the horse, spooky horses accept this kind much more easily.

They are spendier though, unless you can find a used set.

horsepoor
Oct. 28, 2011, 01:56 PM
For body clipping, I have a set of the Lister Star clippers and they are fairly quiet compared to my old Clipmasters, and much smaller and lighter to use. But if you want really quiet, like Lord Helpus says, there are those that have the motor separate -- I think I've read some reviews for the ones like this from Double K (maybe? not sure of the name?) that are pretty positive. I haven't used them myself, so can't really say how much of a difference it makes in sound. Others will likely weigh in. It certainly is that time of year!

Big_Grey_hunter
Oct. 28, 2011, 11:09 PM
I'm not sure if they could get through an entire body clip (they might, I"ve never done a full body clip so I'm not sure), but my wahl iron horse clippers are by far the quietest clippers I've found. They are all I use for legs, ears, and face. You can barely hear them, and the clip goes from 10 to 30, so I don't have to change blades to go from leg to muzzle to ears.They slice through even the thickest, dirtiest leg hair and I've never had them get hot.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0KR05M0062

Somermist
Oct. 28, 2011, 11:25 PM
We use the Double K for dog grooming. Very quiet, quite expensive. The Lister Stars are a good product for body clipping as another choice.

Give and Take
Oct. 29, 2011, 12:05 AM
My clipmasters get really hot - do the Lister star clippers stay cooler?

lilmisshunter
Oct. 29, 2011, 01:48 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. I ended up ordering the Lister Star. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks!! ;)

horsepoor
Oct. 29, 2011, 03:09 AM
My clipmasters get really hot - do the Lister star clippers stay cooler?

Not sure it is a fair comparison, as my clipmasters were at least 20 years old and the Lister Stars were brand new, but I did find the Listers stayed much cooler. I would have to take breaks to let the CMs cool off, but the LSs were fine just going straight through.

Peggy
Oct. 29, 2011, 03:10 AM
There was an review of some very quiet clippers in the November Chronicle Connection.

samtoney
Oct. 29, 2011, 03:17 AM
FWIW...I have a set of the Star clippers and the Andis...My vote would be the Andis with a wide # 10 blade.

Addison
Oct. 29, 2011, 10:14 AM
The Double K clippers have the motor separate from the hand held clipper which makes them quieter for the horse and lighter to hold. I love them. They do cost a bit more but are well worth it.

EAY
Oct. 29, 2011, 11:15 AM
I have the Andis 2-speed and they are much quieter than other body clippers that I've used. They work great for my TB who gets clipped frequently but are not quite powerful enough to get through heavy yak coats in the spring.

Frizzle
Oct. 29, 2011, 05:45 PM
I've used the Lister Stars and wasn't a fan. I bought the Kim Laube Cowboy clippers, which are MUCH lighter and so, so, so much more quiet. *Love* them! I also have a set of the 305 Speed Feeds, which are cordless and more of a trimming/touch-up clipper than a body clipper, on ebay for something likle $30 (brand new, still in the shrink wrap!) and they're awesome. The only bad thing is that everyone at the barn wants to borrow them!

Justice
Oct. 29, 2011, 08:39 PM
Frizzle, you've sold me on the Cowboy Clippers. I bought mine from Dover in case they break, I've heard they can be hard to get fixed from the company. I also got the maintenance set that you can buy. Very excited... it will be my first time. My mare goes out in fancy clothes during the day and will need to be clipped multiple times this winter. I bought the T85 blades and the fancy 10 blades from Andis... I use the T85s on the body and the 10 on the legs, right? Which do I use on the head? TIA!

islndgirl
Oct. 30, 2011, 11:34 PM
I have the laube cowboys and they are really quiet and small. They got a little warm but nothing major. The blades they come with ( i think they were 5s) did nothing. I ordered the 10 wides and they looked great. Be careful when ordering blades bc i think you have to order the laube blades as they are the snap on kind, which were super easy to put on!

Justice
Oct. 31, 2011, 09:03 AM
Uh oh... I thought it said you could use any detachable blade, so I thought the T85s would work?

islndgirl
Nov. 1, 2011, 12:06 AM
I havent tried any other blade so i couldnt say for sure. I just ordered the laube ones from valley vet. Maybe someone else knows?

MagicalFinn
Nov. 5, 2011, 11:54 AM
I have a pair of cordless Andis which are small and VERY quiet

Frizzle
Nov. 6, 2011, 03:07 AM
Justice,
I just use 10W blades on the whole body and then touch up with the 305 Speed Feed trimmers (which have an awesome adjustable blade--love that!). Oh, and I use Oster blades; no worries, any snap-on blades should work. :)