PDA

View Full Version : Off-horse leg strengthening exercises

acoustic
Oct. 27, 2011, 03:45 PM
I need some! I only get to ride once a week in lessons and while I do improve a little every time, I want to build up a better base of support. I can manage to keep my leg strong and where I want it to be over smaller fences, but as the fences get larger (jumped 3'9 today for the first time! :D :D), or in a bounce/1/2 stride gymnastic course I notice that my leg starts to weaken and fall behind. It creates a big ole' mess of equitation problems after that. As long as my leg is strong and where it needs to be, I can manage just fine (funny how only one part of the whole can have such an impact!).

Anyway, now that you know what I'm trying to achieve, can anyone offer some suggestions? I do have a gym membership, so feel free to include a specific weight machine suggestion too. I'm going to start riding my bike again now that the weather is finally cooler down here; should I up the resistance on it so that I have to push a bit harder every cycle?

I do have to be careful due to an old knee injury (no running, elliptical on lower resistance is fine though), but can handle most leg exercises.

Thanks!

KateKat
Oct. 27, 2011, 04:42 PM
honestly, if you're only riding once a week any type of fitness program is probably going to improve your riding.

If you can, get a few sessions with a trainer and learn how to properly lift weights/get you on a strength program.

I have said this before but doing CrossFit 3 times a week has really changed how I ride. Its not a program for everyone but it might be worth checking out.

Ridinwyoming
Oct. 27, 2011, 05:37 PM
I recently started working out at the gym three times a week following the routines in the book The Rider's Fitness Program by Dianna Robin Dennis.

The exercises focus on the balance, strength and flexibility used in riding. Each workout the routines gets a little harder and harder. Super easy to follow with a tear out to take with you to the gym.

I'm half way through the program and realized how one-sided I was. I've lost 5 lbs. and noticed that my legs are more toned and I have better upper body strength. I highly recommend it.