PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this proposed rule change?

Rel6
Oct. 27, 2011, 04:17 PM
Out of boredom and curiosity I was looking through some of the proposed rule changes and this one caught my eye: http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleChanges/399-11.pdf

I have to admit that I have never seen a pony jumper go in draw reins (or a german martingale, but I could be wrong since those are a little more inconspicuous.) Is it really an issue?

Besides that, it seemed like a little bit of a useless rule since they could just enter the ch jumpers or the levels instead.

But really, it doesn't seem like people showing in the children's jumpers (or the adults even!) are, as a group, going to be anymore capable of using draw reins.

Giddy-up
Oct. 27, 2011, 04:37 PM
I think my favorite proposed rule change was that a tail wrap left on in a equitation class wasn't cause for elimination.

http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleChanges/170-11.pdf

LeandraB
Oct. 27, 2011, 04:45 PM
i think its a good rule. too many gadgets out there make the competitors keep em at home.

Vetvivi
Oct. 27, 2011, 05:09 PM
I think its a good rule, but I must say that I have never seen anyone actually show in draw reins.

BAC
Oct. 27, 2011, 05:37 PM
Just a couple of months ago COTH had an article about it and asked 3 jumper riders, (I think it included Ludger Beerbaum or Rodrigo Pessoa) their opinion about showing in draw reins. You might want to check through the magazine and see if you can find the article.

Rel6
Oct. 27, 2011, 05:45 PM
Just a couple of months ago COTH had an article about it and asked 3 jumper riders, (I think it included Ludger Beerbaum or Rodrigo Pessoa) their opinion about showing in draw reins. You might want to check through the magazine and see if you can find the article.

Was that the same article where a rider talked about how she rides horses in only draw reins, with no snaffle rein at all?

Rel6
Oct. 27, 2011, 05:45 PM
I think my favorite proposed rule change was that a tail wrap left on in a equitation class wasn't cause for elimination.

http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleChanges/170-11.pdf

I saw that too! I don't understand why you wouldn't just take it off...

BAC
Oct. 27, 2011, 05:49 PM
Was that the same article where a rider talked about how she rides horses in only draw reins, with no snaffle rein at all?

I can't remember. I don't think so, but I wouldn't swear to it. I only glanced at it without giving it a thorough reading, since I wouldn't consider using them myself. I am lucky I can jump a fence grabbing mane. :D

STA
Oct. 27, 2011, 06:07 PM
I saw that too! I don't understand why you wouldn't just take it off...

When someone (a groom or trainer) forgets to take the tail wrap off - the rider gets eliminated. I don't think they leave it on purpose.

Come Shine
Oct. 27, 2011, 06:25 PM
When someone (a groom or trainer) forgets to take the tail wrap off - the rider gets eliminated. I don't think they leave it on purpose.

I wonder who that happened to for a committee to actually consider making it a rule. ???

HGem
Oct. 27, 2011, 06:40 PM
I wonder who that happened to for a committee to actually consider making it a rule. ???

Agreed. Sorry, but if you are a rider showing, you are ultimately responsible for your appearence and actions in the ring. Can't blame your trainer/groom for that one ;)

Rel6
Oct. 27, 2011, 10:02 PM

Makes sense! I was thinking maybe someone wanted to be able to leave it on if the horse was a hunter doing one eq class before its division.

Foxtrot
Oct. 27, 2011, 10:36 PM

Maybe you are talking about this one? (http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/there-place-draw-reins-show-ring)

I was just browsing web b/c I was curious after reading this thread. I didn't think you could show in Draw reins at all. But I have seen people do it. Now I realize why, Under $1000 class.

DarkStarrx
Oct. 27, 2011, 11:46 PM

No, that article was on getmyfix.org with Ashlee Bond.

http://www.getmyfix.org/807/the-same-5-questions-3/

Tha Ridge
Oct. 28, 2011, 12:23 AM
Agreed. Sorry, but if you are a rider showing, you are ultimately responsible for your appearence and actions in the ring. Can't blame your trainer/groom for that one ;)

...Because you can so easily see your horse's rump when you're mounted. :rolleyes:

War Admiral
Oct. 28, 2011, 06:57 AM
...Because you can so easily see your horse's rump when you're mounted. :rolleyes:

Sorry, but any rider at ANY level who does not walk around the horse him/herself and do a spot check BEFORE mounting - irrespective of how famous, how talented, how big a barn they come from, or how generously they tip their groom - is being extremely irresponsible and (in legalspeak) is not demonstrating an appropriate standard of care for their own/their horse's safety and well-being. So yeah, I think the rider absolutely *should* be penalized - the rider is the one with the ultimate responsibility.

This is kind of... Horsemanship 101, frankly.

Unless you think a "blame the groom" mentality is acceptable. :no:

hj0519
Oct. 28, 2011, 09:13 AM
Sorry, but any rider at ANY level who does not walk around the horse him/herself and do a spot check BEFORE mounting

Most people I know leave the tail wrap on the horse in the warm up ring and take it off at the ring before they go in, not before they get on.

Addison
Oct. 28, 2011, 09:49 AM
Actually the gist of this rule has been in effect for a long time as per rule EQ109.2 which states that conservative colored bandages are allowed. Most tail wraps are beige ace bandages and would fall under that description.

I have however, seen a rider eliminated from an eq final (not big eq) because her pony had a tail bandage in place.

I think this rule is simply an effort to clarify exactly what is meant and included in EQ109.2.

AmmyByNature
Oct. 28, 2011, 10:26 AM
Most people I know leave the tail wrap on the horse in the warm up ring and take it off at the ring before they go in, not before they get on.

Yup. Tail wrap is the very last thing to come off -- usually being quickly removed while practically walking into the ring!

Tha Ridge
Oct. 28, 2011, 11:23 AM

Yep.

It has nothing to do with a rider not being a "horseman" or a "blame the groom" mentality.

Giddy-up
Oct. 28, 2011, 11:29 AM

Exactly my thought. :lol:

What? Self responsibility? :eek: