PDA

View Full Version : suppling exercises to do on a 15m circle

my_doran
Oct. 23, 2011, 07:27 PM
coming to you from hunterland...my 4 yr old greenie has a hard time bending and balancing going to the right and wants to counter bend his head to left .

he can do turn on forehand in both directions so respect of my inside aids are fine,its the going around in the 15m circle to the right is a problem and find he just is a bit more uncomfortable going to right.i also have been using more inside rein and supporting outside leg to help him.

i don't have a full size arena right now,so suppling exercises need to be restricted to a 15 m circle.

im trying to explain the best i can of what the problem is.so just bear with me.

silvia
Oct. 23, 2011, 07:30 PM
Counter canter exercises (at the trot) on the circle helped my guy out. The exercises we do are flexing the horse to the outside of the circle and pushing him around with the outside leg, then straight, then flexing to the inside much more than normal and pushing him out with the inside leg, then straight, rinse and repeat. The focus is on flow, letting him keep moving fowards and with energy and he sorts his legs out.

kinnip
Oct. 23, 2011, 07:45 PM
15m is pretty tight for a greenie. If it's ALL you have access to, then I would suggest lunging instead. If you can get out in a pasture or on a trail even, that would be better for him than pushing him onto too small a circle and asking him to balance. At his age, training isn't the only issue. It's also about muscle development. It's very easy to get a horse sore and sour by asking for more than they can give.

naturalequus
Oct. 23, 2011, 11:45 PM
15m is pretty tight for a greenie. If it's ALL you have access to, then I would suggest lunging instead. If you can get out in a pasture or on a trail even, that would be better for him than pushing him onto too small a circle and asking him to balance. At his age, training isn't the only issue. It's also about muscle development. It's very easy to get a horse sore and sour by asking for more than they can give.

:yes: 15m is way too small, especially for actual schooling for extended periods of time.

SI (at the walk and trot) and LARGE spiraling circles at the trot out in the open/on the trail. Changes in bend (pushing the ribcage and asking for an even bend throughout the body) along a straight line on the trail also helps with suppling. Inside rein to outside leg around corners on the trail. Hacking out is a great environment in which to teach a greenie to engage, is a great way to develop strength and especially pushing (hind) power, and is great for developing relaxation, suppleness, and rhythm.