PDA

View Full Version : Superficial hoof cracks

Fabrege
Oct. 23, 2011, 01:20 PM
What is the best products both orally and topically for superficial hoof cracking? Both front feet crack straight up the middle she has shoes on.

Amchara
Oct. 23, 2011, 01:49 PM
My horse has superficial hoof cracks on her front toes. They are maybe a credit card in depth. Anyways, she has been shod and barefoot and they never get better or worse over the six plus years I have had her.

feuerkracher
Oct. 23, 2011, 07:18 PM
My horse has the same issue and my farrier recommends that I apply a hoof sealant like Tuff Stuff at least twice per week to help lock in the moisture. He stresses that the sealant must be applied to dry feet to work properly.

merrygoround
Oct. 23, 2011, 07:24 PM
Having had one horse with extensive hoof cracks, who was treated with a double dosing of Farrier's Formula (courtesy of Dr Gravlee), for a year,we concluded that the cracks were genetic, and there to stay. The horse took them to his grave many years later, despite a good diet, which included free choice of high quality pasture.

TBROCKS
Oct. 23, 2011, 07:27 PM
I have had really good results with Contender hoof conditioner. It's thick and gooey, and it does a good job with protecting the hoof wall against the elements because it stays on for a long time.