PDA

View Full Version : Needed: Clinician Suggestions for INTRO to musical dressage: Piedmont, NC

In_
Oct. 22, 2011, 07:21 PM
Hoping to find a clinician (big-name or no-name) to come teach a one-day clinic to a Pony Club in January or February. I'd like to find someone who is
a) willing to work with kids
b) understands that, within this paticular club, its a training/1st level riding ability
c) Could help teach the basic concepts - matching tempo to music etc

Club members have very limited interest in dressage. My hope is that by adding music we might inspire some greater buy-in.

Suggestions?

I plan to ask our own EqTrainer but I'm not sure of her availabilit, interest, etc

Petstorejunkie
Oct. 22, 2011, 07:33 PM
What a fun idea! I'll pm you.

NCSue
Oct. 22, 2011, 07:36 PM
Tristin Hardy-Butler out of Suffolk, Virginia. She is very involved as head coach for the JR-YR through SVDA, "L" judge, and has a passion for musical free styles on a budget. She is enthusiastic, understands beginners, limited finances, and would do an awesome job. I've found it best to text her or call and leave a voice mail. It's quicker than email.

http://www.elfenridge.com/index2.htm

merrygoround
Oct. 22, 2011, 07:50 PM
How about Eliza Syndor, she's in NC, and is young with many good miles teaching. Her mother is in Snow Mount.

BaroquePony
Oct. 22, 2011, 07:59 PM
I don't know about the clinician, but I sure would find out what type(s) of music these kids like before I look for a clinician. If you can get them to ride to some music they love, then you will be more likely to get them hooked.

Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl
Oct. 22, 2011, 09:03 PM
You might want to frame it as a quadrille session - even if riding in circles isn't appealing to the kids (so far), riding in circles without bumping into your friends can be kind of fun, and threading the needle and riding two by two and four by four sneaks speed control and looking ahead and riding straight lines in fairly painlessly. ;)

Another thought, maybe as an unmounted meeting or a follow-up later - I think it was Elizabeth Searle who did the l judge training session in NC on freestyles 7 or 8ish years ago. She had a collection of videos of freestyles, mostly in the first and second level range as I recall, and it was a fun visual to see local type pairs riding to music. A bit of searching you tube could probably pull up an entertaining collection of clips - heck, maybe also include some cowboy dressage (Eitan whatsisface) and maybe some European showjump/derby rounds with the great music selected for each pair, to really show how much cool effect good music can have on the feel of a round.

BaroquePony
Oct. 22, 2011, 09:06 PM
Great way to help with rythymn.

Mike Matson
Oct. 23, 2011, 02:04 AM
If interested, PM me about my "Ride to Music" clinic. It is tailored to expose people (and kids) to how much fun it is to ride to music that "fits" the horse. Each rider gets a CD with their horse's music. I'm in Maryland. Have worked with Pony Clubs in my area. You can check out my site at www.equimusic.com (http://www.equimusic.com)

Mike Matson
Oct. 23, 2011, 02:06 AM
Great way to help with rythymn.

Actually, not "rhythm" but tempo.

BaroquePony
Oct. 23, 2011, 06:44 AM
Sorry, got the two reversed, at least, maybe worse.

Rythymn, tempo and cadence ...

What exactly is the difference between these?

I thought the tempo was "the gait" .. like four beat walk, two beat trot and three beat canter ... and then the rythymn is the ?? and cadence ??

Mr.GMan
Oct. 23, 2011, 10:19 AM
Can adults come :-)? I would love to come to a clinic, riding or auditing, preferably the former, that focused on this. I wonder if the NCDCTA would sponsor some sort of clinic? Hhhhmmm.....

In_
Oct. 23, 2011, 12:14 PM
We'd be more than happy to open it to the public! Mr.GMan if you'd send me your e-mail address I'll keep you in the loop....

Iam sort of new to the area and do not know a whole lot about NCDTA. Do you think it'd be smart to contact them too?

Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl
Oct. 23, 2011, 04:23 PM
BP - you have them basically flipped. Rhythm is the thing which is supposed to be clear, as in 3 beat canter, 4 beat w clear even spacing in the walk. Tempo is rate of repetition of the rhythm - how many strides per minute.

W cadence you are getting fancy ( ;) ) - I would need to look up the exact FEI/USEF definition, but it is basically the addition of clarity to the tempo via added air time. Passage is very cadenced trot. But one should be developing a more cadenced trot which isn't passagey as one goes up the levels, and that is where I would need to look up the terminology. Not an issue in an intro to dressage clinic, fortunately. :)

BaroquePony
Oct. 23, 2011, 07:37 PM
Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl, thank you :). I always mess those up for some danged reason.

I can visualize the differences but never get the words right. Or when I do have the words right (finally), I think about how I always get them backwards and then reverse them and then I am guarenteed they are turned around :lol:.

carovet
Oct. 23, 2011, 09:14 PM
the rate of the rhythm is the tempo :)

valerie swygert of
http://www.jasminefarm.com/
does a great job with kids and has put together her own and other's freestyles quite a lot and with high scores, and has done some similar clinics I think.
she is a popular schooling show judge (L w distinct grad and r candidate) in SC....
and she likes music the kids would like so that would help too!

BaroquePony
Oct. 23, 2011, 10:41 PM
The rate of the rhythm is the tempo [sic, corrected]. I like that phrase. And I never spell rythmn the same way twice in a row :p.

Well, I do know that horses don't really like Jean Michael Jarre's Oxygen, especially after they have been listening to something like Chariots of Fire :yes:.

If you really want to watch or ride your horse while he becomes mentally pissed off, put on discombobulated jazz :yes:.

The William Tell Overature on a runaway Cob might get the interest of the audience :D.

I would love to see a clinic with Mike Matson.

In_
Oct. 24, 2011, 09:53 PM
I've contacted NCDTA to see if they might be willing to advertise the clinic if we decide to host.

I've contacted a few clinicians - have not settled on one yet - so many details (mostly finances) to figure out!

Thanks again for all suggestions

PiaffePlease
Oct. 24, 2011, 10:11 PM
How about Eliza Syndor, she's in NC, and is young with many good miles teaching. Her mother is in Snow Mount.

Its actually Snow Camp. Eliza is great with kids and would probably be great for this.

tempichange
Oct. 25, 2011, 06:36 AM
Frank and CeCe Maddalone are very good and I believe in that area.

saraw
Oct. 25, 2011, 10:37 AM
Beth Hall just did a freestyle clinic in the eastern Kansas area and I heard super positive remarks about that.

piaffequeen
Oct. 25, 2011, 11:44 AM
Lynn Doki of Walhalla Farm-hands down! She has changed a few minds on how much fun dressage can be!!!!!