PDA

View Full Version : kieffer saddles

*Teddy*
Oct. 21, 2011, 10:33 PM
Sorry if this is a double, i couldnt find a thread. What do you think of keiffers? Feel? Comfortable? Fit?

mbm
Oct. 21, 2011, 11:09 PM
i like them for a very reasonably priced saddle that can have the tree easily changed to fit any horse.

they seem well made and at least the older models - were of the older style of flatter seat, less stuffing....

in fact i have 2 of them and one is getting altered for the pony. :)

ThreeFigs
Oct. 21, 2011, 11:42 PM
It's very individual, the feel and fit of saddles. The only Keiffers I've liked were two very old ones circa late 1940's/1950's. Zugspitz monoflaps. Those were great saddles.

The more modern ones are crotch-busters, IMO, but that has more to do with my anatomy, not the saddles. Many people like them.

HeyJealousy
Oct. 22, 2011, 10:26 AM
I have an older Kieffer Wein and I absolutely love it. It's flatter than most saddles on the market today but it's comfortable and I wouldn't trade it for anything!

Hampton Bay
Oct. 22, 2011, 01:43 PM
I had one that I loved, but sold because the mare didn't love it as much as something else. If they were flat enough front to back to fit my younger horses, I would have bought another one. But they just aren't flat enough for these two. Very little is.

mbm
Oct. 22, 2011, 01:48 PM
Hampton Bay - you do know they can be altered to fit most horses? they have this cool altering thingy that allows the tree to be made wider or narrower. and it is pretty inexpensive too! Dressage Extensions does it for 80 :)

Bugs-n-Frodo
Oct. 23, 2011, 12:11 AM
I loved mine, but we outgrew it. I wanted something deeper, he needed something wider. I still have my Kieffer bridle, I have used it everyday since I bought it four years ago, I LOVE that bridle. I want another Kieffer bridle for our double bridle.

up-at-5
Oct. 23, 2011, 09:31 AM
I hated my Kieffer saddle, it was a newer model..la/le something or other. Hard, and painful to ride in. Glad to be rid of it.The fit didn't suit me or my horse at all. That said, the person who bought it was very happy to take it off my hands.:) Everyone is different and saddle brands work for some folks and not for others. If you're looking, my best advice is to ride before you buy, and make sure it fits the horse first and foremost.
I do have a lovely Kieffer bridle, love it!
Depending on your budget, have a look on HW, lots of nice saddles for sale. Don't settle, if the best saddle for you is out of your price range, keep saving till you can buy the best match.

Hampton Bay
Oct. 23, 2011, 11:13 AM
I know they can be altered, but making it wider won't fix the fact that it's too curvy front to back for this horse. This horse also cannot stand a saddle with a narrow twist unless it has CAIR or FLAIR. He's not narrow right there.