PDA

View Full Version : Oh Charles DeKunffy Saddle..why do I love you so?

dalpal
Oct. 20, 2011, 03:57 PM
Why is it that no other saddle makes me feel like I'm sitting in an FEI position other than this old Charles DeKunffy Saddle? It's been sitting in my house for five years now, needing some work. I've been riding in my Baines Capriole. Finally go it worked on this past week and rode in it again. I have never had another saddle just put my body in the right place. I can actually use my thigh and lower leg without feeling like I'm constantly struggling to find my balance. In return, I can actually pick my mare up underneath me and do collected work.

Paid 995.00 for it in 1995 new...best damn saddle I've ever ridden in. :yes::yes::D:D

Countrywood
Oct. 20, 2011, 04:25 PM
Does anyone make it anymore?:sadsmile:

dalpal
Oct. 20, 2011, 04:31 PM
Courbette still makes them. :yes::yes::yes:

http://www.courbette.com/catalog/saddles/charlesdekunffy.html

dwblover
Oct. 20, 2011, 10:06 PM
Hey don't feel bad, my absolute FAVORITE saddle is a very old Passier PS Baum dressage saddle. They are hard to find these days ( I can only find the All Purpose model, not the true dressage model) so I'm hoping I can keep it alive for several more years!:D

Maude
Oct. 21, 2011, 09:35 AM
If you can afford a new saddle you should check out the new Stubben Genesis Special. I had an old Stubben Tristan that I felt the same way about. (Courbette is made by Stubben, or at least they were). The new Stubbens are available with the Biomex seat (sheer heaven to sit on) and the tree is extremely horse friendly. I just ordered one. It does just what you say your De Kunffy does, put you close to the horse. Like riding bareback with something soft for your seat. Contact from crotch to ankle. I feel your pain. I've sat in all the "sofas" out there and I just don't like any of them including but not limited to Hennig, County, Trilogy, Albion, etc.. It is worth the $125.00 fee to the Stubben rep for him to bring out saddles to try. And, if you order one within a week the visit charge is waived. Can't go wrong in my opinion.