PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a bit

Fabrege
Oct. 20, 2011, 02:39 PM
I have a horse with a "fleshy" mouth and palate. I am looking for a good bit my dentist told me to look for one that was thin with a flat thin french link

Petstorejunkie
Oct. 20, 2011, 02:53 PM
my horse has a fat tongue, low palate, sensitive bars with small spacing, and medium lips, and this (http://mylerbits.com/dyn_prod.php?p=89-28105&k=88100) is his preferred bit. Before that he really liked a Dr. Bristol, placed correctly with the flat plate lying flat against the tongue.

pattnic
Oct. 20, 2011, 04:35 PM
I might look at a Myler - those are about the thinnest mouthpieces I can think of.

ETA - LOL! I see that's what PSJ linked to!

petit cheval brun
Oct. 20, 2011, 05:10 PM
I had a bit problem with my low paleted gelding. Thicker bits made him curl under, avoiding contact.

I looked at Mylers as a solution. I ended up with a Neue Schule bit (http://cheshirehorse.com/Neue-Schule-Verbindend-Loose-Ring-Snaffle-P4174.aspx)that provided more space for the tongue. Cheshire Horse (the store I have linked to) also sells Myler bits.

TheHotSensitiveType
Oct. 20, 2011, 05:14 PM
Mine with similar issues likes both the JP Korsteel eggbutt curved oval french link and a stubben french link baucher. She hates loose rings.

Fabrege
Oct. 20, 2011, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the replies! This is the first time I ever did anything with forums so totally lost. I am trying to find the right bit. Another problem I have my mare is great on lunge line with side reins get on her and totally different horse.

Petstorejunkie
Oct. 20, 2011, 09:16 PM
horses with this type of mouth anatomy also tend to be sensitive to rider error.... so much that you could make all other horses into butter, but this one turns into a screaming giraffe.
you'll thank your horse in a few years when your position is 10x better but you'll cuss the whole way.
...speaking from experience.

HenryisBlaisin'
Oct. 21, 2011, 12:19 AM
My boy has a small mouth without a lot of bit room, and his bit of choice is a plain mullen mouth eggbutt.

easyrider
Oct. 21, 2011, 02:03 AM
All French links are not created equal. Length, shape and thickness vary.

My favorite french link is the Herm Sprenger aurigan. The link is small and thin but the bit has some weight, and most horses like the taste of the aurigan metal.

Unfortunately, it comes in a limited range of sizes which means that depending on the size of your horse's mouth, you may have to go with a D-ring (5", 5 1/4", 5 3/4"), loose ring (4 1/2", 5", 5 1/4", 5 3/4") or bradoon (5 1/8", 5 1/2", 6"). I've never understood these sizing choices or why they don't make an eggbutt.

candysgirl
Oct. 21, 2011, 02:17 AM
My tiny mouthed Arab likes his JP Korsteel eggbutt French link. I tried Mylers and he didn't like them.

Fabrege
Oct. 21, 2011, 09:04 AM
It's not a result of rider errors. Just looking for input on different bits out there. Anyone ever try the bitless bridles???

Petstorejunkie
Oct. 21, 2011, 09:22 AM
Your follow up question was:

Another problem I have my mare is great on lunge line with side reins get on her and totally different horse.
I'm assuming you aren't changing bits for lunging versus riding, so the only variable changing here is the added weight (you) and the source of contact (you).... yet you say the the problem couldn't be the result of rider error? Even if the horse has had pros ride, it can still be the result of rider error.