PDA

View Full Version : Any Aussies out there- info on Colleen Kelly? (biomechanics "expert")

mickeydoodle
Oct. 19, 2011, 08:31 AM
As in the title, anyone know her?

Janet
Oct. 19, 2011, 10:16 AM
As in the title, anyone know her?

All I know is I keep gettting emails nominally from her.

dragonharte8
Oct. 19, 2011, 10:24 AM
Just went to her website and read a piece on the placement of the thumb. She claims there is scientific evidence that shows when you roll the thumb over, 11kgs of weight are added to the forehand of the horse.

That is interesting since all the clients I have worked with have discovered that if they lay the fingers parallel to the withers the horse can lighten in the forehand........how the rider uses the seat affects the forehand weight more than the hands.

carolprudm
Oct. 19, 2011, 10:26 AM
She seems to be a regular on the Equine Affair etc crcuit. I've seen her a few times and have not been impressed

dragonharte8
Oct. 19, 2011, 10:40 AM
Her words:
"And research shows when the rider is mounted – even in a normal position – they put 30% less weight on the hind quarters…and that weight obviously has to go somewhere – and it’s on the front feet!"

From study which was done to find strain affects on bottom of hooves.....
"Changing lead at a canter had as least as much effect on strain magnitudes as did turning; strains were up to 43% higher for the nonlead foot, but with little redistribution. Perhaps surprisingly, strains were significantly lower on the quarters by up to 30% with a rider than without, with a 10% increase or decrease at the toe, depending on the individual. Riding style changed strain magnitudes by up to 20% and also caused strain redistribution: strains were higher medially for sitting, and laterally for forward seat, with strains for a rising trot being more evenly distributed and intermediate in magnitude. Studying the range of, and causes of variation in hoof wall strain gives baseline data aimed, in the long term, at providing a biomechanical definition of hoof balance."

meupatdoes
Oct. 19, 2011, 10:41 AM
Just went to her website and read a piece on the placement of the thumb. She claims there is scientific evidence that shows when you roll the thumb over, 11kgs of weight are added to the forehand of the horse.

Huh.
Maybe she should watch CKD ride.

Generally has the piano-hand thing going on but I don't think forehand lightness is a problem...

dressageluv
Oct. 19, 2011, 02:40 PM
I rode with her in August and took her unmounted lecture and even though the "talk" is there, the "end result" is NOT.

We had 7 ppl ride and none of them will do it again. All we did is walk and trot with eyes closed to see which side the horses were drifting but we never fixed it.
She asked what we wanted to work on but never worked on any of the 7 problems we verbalized.
Persoanlly I found it annoying that she kept referring to the Aussies as the leading dressage nation(wth??) and he constant sarcasm about Americans vs. Aussies got old after about 15 minutes. Very friendly and fun but not worth my time or money...!

mickeydoodle
Oct. 19, 2011, 06:25 PM
Hmm, I had the same experience this past weekend. Very nice and funny lady, but lots and lots of talk about her being a grand prix rider, how perfect her changes were, etc. Really talking up how great her show career was. Lots of self promotion, pushing her products, DVD's, etc

But, she said that all riding problems were do to our feet being turned out and could all be fixed with the feet pointing straight ahead. She asked each person in the clinic what there problems were (even wrote notes on her hand) but then never addressed any of the problems. The "work" was limited to a little walk and trot (one hour session). At the walk she had people stand in the inside then the outdiside stirrup and as the horse drifted in or out, she said they were doing half pass and shoulder in.

What I was really wondering, is what her scores were at grand prix in Australia??? she indicated that she was in the top rankings

luchiamae
Oct. 19, 2011, 08:08 PM
She's a funny lady...let's leave it at that.

dressageluv
Oct. 19, 2011, 08:16 PM
I could not find any scores or pics of a so called show career......but I am comforted that my experiences were the same as other peoples! So sad but there many like her out there ;(

flight
Oct. 19, 2011, 09:36 PM
Just for a different point of view - I had a private lesson from her earlier this year and I am glad for it.

My right lower leg is different and I never knew what to do with it. She spotted my problems straight away and gave me ways to help fix them.

I was aware of my problems (lower legs and crookedness) and told her these were what I thought were my main issues, and she definitely addressed them.

She talks a lot! Lots of stories, but when they apply to you, you remember them.

If you can have a private lesson or a two up go for that. In a group there's not enough time to address your own particular problems. I watched the other lesson's for the day and there is enough general stuff that will apply to everyone in a group, but I wanted help with my specific issues.

mickeydoodle
Oct. 19, 2011, 10:30 PM
The group was 7 riders, and at the start she SPECIFICALLY asked each of us about our problems (wrote them in pen on her left hand) and said she was going to tell us the SECRET (her caps not mine) to fix each individual problem, but then did not. I was disappointed to say the least.

scores, actual professional referrals, etc??????????

Old Mac Donald
Oct. 20, 2011, 05:26 AM
I scored four "group" sessions over a weekend with her for free from a friend. Attended three before my dressage-happy horse said "I will NOT go back in that ring".

She was seriously the worst clinician I have EVER ridden with/audited/watched. I left the clinic with an angry horse and a very sore leg from where she grabbed it and yanked my ankle down and told em "RELAX DAMNIT!" *shake* *Yank* *shake*. Think "doing a Linda" on my leg and wondering why I wasn't relaxing into some blissful stupor.

No I would never attend again. She was rude, she had everyone ride their horses forwards!forwards!forwards! on the forehand (running out of balance). Shocking.

AJC
Oct. 21, 2011, 02:22 AM
The recomendation from the dreaded L.P should have been enough.!
I also achieved 100% in my dressage judges exam.. so its not 'so unheard of"!!

Most of her business is not repeat clients.

she has never ridden Grand Prix in Australia,

belambi may know her because she was slightly involved with vaulting for a while around the time he was.

Bats79
Oct. 21, 2011, 06:31 AM
I have had pupils attend her lessons (in the past I have always been sure that they will not be damaged in a "one off" lesson that was supposedly all about posture). 75% of them have been extremely disappointed. :(

medical mike
Oct. 21, 2011, 08:33 PM
I'm not an instructor. I am however well studied in riding mechanics. With my sports medicine background I take a different approach o finding solutions for equestrian athletes....From the perspective of athleticism.

For those who have taken clinics with her, I would be interested in your comments/comparisons after viewing this:
http://www.equicision.com/rider-stability

Regards,
Medical Mike
equestrian medical researcher
www.equicision.com

easykeeper
Oct. 21, 2011, 08:49 PM
She took advantage of a friend of mine who did her certification program ($$$) sadly, in which I have no idea what she is certified in....and either does she :-(

I tried to tell my friend that there are SO many more qualified instructors out there that are WAY cheaper...but my friend is the type that is attracted to shiny objects.....and was told it was better for her to save her money and ride with Colleen once a year, then ride with a equally (if not more qualified instructor) once a week.

Oh well, I tried.....

Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl
Oct. 21, 2011, 09:23 PM
I also achieved 100% in my dressage judges exam.. so its not 'so unheard of"!!

Most of her business is not repeat clients.

she has never ridden Grand Prix in Australia,

I've been wondering what exam she scored so well in. Did you take an Australian judges exam? Can you compare it to any other judge exams, or share how difficult you feel the exam is?

mandalea
Oct. 22, 2011, 12:51 PM
I have heard nothing but rubbish about her. I know a handful of people that have ridden under her and they've been very much disappointed. I know I would run a mile if I ever had to go to anything of hers.

And I'm sick of her crappy spam about her dodgy 'research' :mad:

andy825
Oct. 22, 2011, 01:39 PM
I was a demo rider for her at a clinic in LA recently. if I had paid for the experience, I would have been very disappointed. As it was, the first 45 minutes of my ride was useless at best, confusing at worst. At the VERY END, she gave me some excellent details on body alignment and position and then I got off. I would have liked to have that at the beginning and then had the chance to ride a while and integrate what she said into my riding.
The auditors were all able to take away a little something, but if they had paid more than $25 for the program would have felt cheated.

katefred
Oct. 6, 2013, 08:02 PM
I hate to badger someone; however, I completely agree with most of you. I attended a clinic for which I paid $165 per ride (total of 2) and I could not follow her train of thought, much less her technique.

My horse is schooling 2nd level and despite my telling her exactly what I wanted to work on (half-pass and travers), and that we're currently competing well, just want better scores, she started me on leg yields at her "square one" which made no sense to me. She asked me to do strange things like "get inside flexion (ok), now look to the outside and look at your horse's outside hip bone (ok), Oh wait, don't lose the flexion!" How on earth am I supposed to look backwards and maintain flexion on the front end if I'm swiveled half-way around in the saddle? She did not explain what outcome she was looking for either. I have been riding for 20 years and know how to do a bloody leg yield, and my horse routinely earns 8s on his leg yield. So frustrating. I'm a high school teacher and if there's one thing I'm careful to do is ask my students, "What do you need help with?" and from there, address their needs! I know what correct lateral work feels like, and while she was exclaiming "you're doing it! Yes, that's a half-pass!" I was thinking, "are you for real?" My horse is turning, that's it! Nothing else is happening here!" And then she was "impressed" when I did a change of direction through the center of a 20 meter circle like I was a genius. It's not that hard! She applauded me for making the turn. What else was my horse going to do? Run into the fence?

She was also peddling a new saddle that I thought was garbage. It is flocked with a fiberglass filling. How is that better than synthetic foam? It has literally no pommel so any warmblood/TB type with a slight wither could use it. Her husband told me "well you can get these great saddle pads to boost it up" and my thought was, "who buys a new saddle with the intention of having to shim it up?"

Not worth it. I'm just glad it was held at the barn I board at so I didn't have to spend any money on gas, hotel, food, etc...

I have heard nothing but rubbish about her. I know a handful of people that have ridden under her and they've been very much disappointed. I know I would run a mile if I ever had to go to anything of hers.

And I'm sick of her crappy spam about her dodgy 'research' :mad:

OreoCookie
Oct. 7, 2013, 12:48 AM
Unfortunately, I'm another who attended her lecture and then rode in a group lesson with her. Same feedback as the others, all w/t, nothing helpful, just leaning in one direction or the other letting our horses drift around.

A shame, because aside from the promotion and bragging, her lecture was good. I was really hoping the ride would have been an extension of the lecture, but sadly, it was not.

LookmaNohands
Oct. 8, 2013, 01:43 PM
I looked at her web site and what I thought was weird was that you are required to use a bridle with a snaffle bit for her clinics. "All the top riders in natural riding all ride with bits and bridles," she says.

No bitless bridles I guess. I can't see how that would affect the rider's biomechanics.

At least helmets are required!

belgianWBLuver
Oct. 8, 2013, 02:12 PM
She's good friends with Linda P. :eek: