PDA

View Full Version : Getting the flying change from the halfpass- now what?

BetterOffRed
Oct. 18, 2011, 03:20 PM
My apologies to goodbooiiee and Gallop~on~Grant...they've heard me spew my nonsense for the last 24 hours! :lol:

The flying change has the been the single hardest thing I've ever had to learn! I've gotten them in jumping lessons, I've even seen a pro do a line of one tempis on him! But I could never ever get them in a dressage arena. It was very frustrating because I've tried many exercises- canter halt change leads, canter figure eights, counter canter to true canter, ugh. I've even ridden the changes on other horses!!! It was my holy grail, my moby dick, my when pigs fly....

I finally stopped trying and decided to work on all the other movements including our improving our halfpass. Which I was doing this weekend and with some encouragement from G~o~G, started throwing the change in when changing the bend into the new halfpass direction.

I think I need to continue practicing the changes in the halfpass because this exercise feels very natural to us and neither of us freaks out and I'm not intimidated any more but my question is, when and how do I start asking for them from hp how do I start asking him for the changes on a straight line.

I may be overthinking this...do you have any exercises you would recommend?

Gallop~on~Grant
Oct. 18, 2011, 05:37 PM
You can die happy now...

dalpal
Oct. 18, 2011, 07:05 PM
I have one who will always sneak that in...older schoolmaster. I have to really hold him with my legs and seat and even then he will try to toss one in..especially going to the left. :lol:

kinnip
Oct. 18, 2011, 07:37 PM
Have ya a beer and just get er done. If you can do it, and he can do it, you're just psyching yourself out.

dudleyc
Oct. 18, 2011, 09:28 PM
Can you do simple changes? Canter L - trot - Canter R? Canter R - walk -Canter L? I bet its easy to get your head around the idea of a simple change; canter to walk, walk to canter. the flying chnage is just a transition, just like canter walk is a transition. You can understand canter trot, you can understand walk canter, the flying changes is just canter canter,

http://www.amazon.com/Training-Kyra-Vol-Advanced-Movements/dp/B001337NBC/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1318987289&sr=8-6
watch this- I can not recommend it highly enough.

I would NOT recommend continuing the halfpass changes as you described. The flying change should be done with an absolute straight horse. If you learn to change by changeing the bend on a schooled horse....you will not learn the skill set required for a good single change. More importantly, you could get the horse changing incorrectly.

mbm
Oct. 18, 2011, 09:58 PM
dudleyc - i LOVE your sig line. i think it is the best one i have read here :) tnx for sharing lol! i love the imagery of it....

as for the changes.... i think that dudleyc is correct. you need to learn the correct way to request them if for no other reason than you wont mess up what you have now.... nobody will thank you for messing up clean changes :)

fwiw, to me it always gets back down to the rhythm of the aids... if you ask at the wrong time it will feel very very wonky.... if you ask for a change at the right time then it is just another canter depart.

BetterOffRed
Oct. 18, 2011, 10:04 PM
Have ya a beer and just get er done. If you can do it, and he can do it, you're just psyching yourself out.

SNAP! Do I know you?!? Were you spying on my ride!?!:lol:

kinnip
Oct. 18, 2011, 10:14 PM
SNAP! Do I know you?!? Were you spying on my ride!?!:lol:

Still inventing new and ever more nail biting ways to have that ride. :lol:

good booie
Oct. 19, 2011, 08:50 AM
have a beer and get er done!

My new mantra when I am about to get on Lil Lil:)

I am happy for you BOR!!!!!!!!

Gallop~on~Grant
Oct. 20, 2011, 04:03 PM
It is most certainly a mental thing with B.O.R. I think the exercise was more for HER than for BIG RED! B.O.R. is her own worse enemy. I think now that she knows they are in there and where to find them everything else will fall into place.

As for the beer, who's turn is it to buy?

It's almost time for mulled wine again. I love Fall.

What were we talking about again... Where am I?