PDA

View Full Version : Socal training suggestions??

little brown mare
Oct. 18, 2011, 01:56 PM
Hi Everyone,
I am moving soon and I need trainer suggestions in the LA/Ventura area. My horse is going to need some remedial work on bit acceptance. I am new to dressage myself and I know I am not helping her any! I am familar with the area and with the traffic, not fussed about a long drive if the training is worth it.

INoMrEd
Oct. 18, 2011, 02:53 PM
I sent you a PM....

TheHorseProblem
Oct. 18, 2011, 03:12 PM
I sent one also.

little brown mare
Oct. 18, 2011, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the PMs! Anyone have any suggestions in the moorpark/somis area?

TheHorseProblem
Oct. 18, 2011, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the PMs! Anyone have any suggestions in the moorpark/somis area?

Hilda Gurney is up there. Check out Spirit Equestrian, El Sueno, and White Birch. There is no shortage of talented trainers in that area. I have only personally taken lessons from the German guy at Spirit, and the others are facilities where I have attended clinics that might be good places to start.

Maybe be more specific about what you need and you'll get more suggestions. Good luck! I wish I lived up there!

Jan Ebeling is in that area, Ludger Thole...so many.:)

candico
Oct. 19, 2011, 11:20 AM
Charlie Pinneo has a great reputation for being Adult Ammie friendly. Many choices here, so will depend on what kind of fit you are looking for. Best to arrange to meet a few and observe some lessons and training sessions. Or maybe go to a DASC show so you can see a few trainers all at once, plus clients... Also, the boarding situations for each trainer can range quite a bit as far as price, care, etc.

Lostboy
Oct. 20, 2011, 03:17 PM
I like Marie Meyers..in moorpark.. their horse Bigtyme did ok in recent Pan Am.. she is super nice and knowledgeable

SBrentnall
Oct. 21, 2011, 01:59 PM
I'm biased, but I'm at Whitethorne ranch in Moorpark/Somis, and would highly recommend my trainer, Verena Sonstenes-Mahin. Her website is here: http://www.vsdressage.com

Feel free to PM with questions.

little brown mare
Nov. 1, 2011, 06:46 PM
I've been on vacation for a while and received some great suggestions please keep them coming!
More info as requested by a very helpful PM'er:
I need a trainer to basically remouth my horse. She was started by a reiner and avoids any contact by gaping and still staying in a "frame". My last trainers solution to that was to strap her mouth shut since she still looked dressage-y. Before that, she was fine for hunters since contact was practically non-existent but can't jump very big anymore. I have always loved dressage but haven't done enough to teach the horse myself. I can't keep her in full training for very long but can maintain averagely priced partial training/lessons indefinitely. Showing isn't really an issue until I can get this straightened out. I work full time so I need a barn with some services but don't need anything fancy.

3Spots
Nov. 1, 2011, 11:45 PM
Kim Kulesa at Spirit Equestrian. www.dressagewithkim.com I moved to San Diego and SOOO miss that barn, nothing like it down here and it's twice as expensive. Kim is an exceptional TEACHER as well as trainer.

The barn is great. Folks are friendly, the barn care is exceptional, the stalls are nice, there is enough space. Sigh... wish I were back there...

TheHorseProblem
Nov. 2, 2011, 09:45 AM
Kim Kulesa at Spirit Equestrian. www.dressagewithkim.com I moved to San Diego and SOOO miss that barn, nothing like it down here and it's twice as expensive. Kim is an exceptional TEACHER as well as trainer.

The barn is great. Folks are friendly, the barn care is exceptional, the stalls are nice, there is enough space. Sigh... wish I were back there...

I used to clinic with Michael Lieberg who is there. I haven't been to Spirit since it was J-Don before the Knowles bought it, but have heard also that they have done a fantastic job with the facility.