PDA

View Full Version : A little brag, and explain to me what I saw? :D

JoZ
Oct. 17, 2011, 04:33 PM
I don't really have any business in the Dressage forum so please be kind... :cool:

Yesterday I went to a dressage schooling show. My trainer was riding my (wonderful if I do say so myself) 4yo gelding. He is for sale, though a small part of me is regretting this, and I have not ridden him, and don't plan to at least in the short term. I think at his age he will do better learning from a pro!

My history in a nutshell is: no showing. Never had a horse of mine in a show, with me or anyone else riding. My first horse evented before I got him but not after. So this was all new, exciting ground for me!

My boy did a test in Intro Level and one in Training Level. His score was 66.5 for Intro and 65 for Training. All 6s and 7s with one (I think) 8 on each test, for working trot. His walk needs to be more march-like and he needs more impulsion. Nonetheless, in both of his admittedly tiny classes he got the blue ribbon! OMG I feel like a kid at the fair.

So that's the brag, and if you can tell me (gently) if the scores sound OK for a 4-year-old's first show, I'd be most appreciative!

Sancudo
Oct. 17, 2011, 04:41 PM
Those are good scores, period! Even better with a young horse at his first show! And I think it's great with the consistency of the scores- that points out that he was continually well behaved with no baby behavior, so a successful outing for a first time!

netg
Oct. 17, 2011, 05:11 PM
Those are good scores, period! Even better with a young horse at his first show! And I think it's great with the consistency of the scores- that points out that he was continually well behaved with no baby behavior, so a successful outing for a first time!

Ditto this!

Heinz 57
Oct. 17, 2011, 05:55 PM
Oh yes, dressage isn't like school. Mid-60's is good, especially for a baby's first show!

ironbessflint
Oct. 17, 2011, 10:37 PM
Hey, for a baby's first show, entering AND exiting at A are pretty darn good. ;) Mid 60s are fantastic!!

KrazyTBMare
Oct. 17, 2011, 11:03 PM
Staying in the ring is always a positive too! Congrats!

Oberon13
Oct. 18, 2011, 10:06 AM
Oh yes, dressage isn't like school. Mid-60's is good, especially for a baby's first show!

:yes::yes:

I had to get this through my head when I started dressage. As a student in school, I was crazy competitive and grade-centric. Scoring a 60% would have crushed me. Riding dressage has broadened my perspective on numbers and scoring! :)

Congrats, OP, on your boy and his fantastic first show! He sounds like a gem!

JoZ
Oct. 18, 2011, 11:32 AM
Well thank you all! Grin now officially goes from ear to ear!

Frankie did NO baby moves/misbehaviors at all. My trainer said he was nervous but you couldn't tell from "the outside". He gave the judge's table a bit of a look but not a spook, and being a schooling show he was allowed to go back and forth in front of it while my trainer chatted with the judges. I could SEE the moment where he said "Aha! Table. People. Gotcha!" But he hadn't even bulged away from it really.

I understand dressage scores, was mainly wondering if a schooling show would have "grade inflation" -- doesn't make much sense that they would, if the whole point is to get a preview for future real tests and shows. Guess I was really looking for the catch, and hoping there wasn't one! :winkgrin:

gailbyrd
Oct. 18, 2011, 01:07 PM
I understand dressage scores, was mainly wondering if a schooling show would have "grade inflation" -- doesn't make much sense that they would, if the whole point is to get a preview for future real tests and shows. Guess I was really looking for the catch, and hoping there wasn't one! :winkgrin:

Depends on the schooling show and the judge but in our area, the schooling show scores give a good indication of what one will score at recognized shows given the same quality of test.

alto
Oct. 18, 2011, 01:20 PM
I understand dressage scores, was mainly wondering if a schooling show would have "grade inflation"

Some do, some don't ... dressage scoring is very judge dependent & depending upon that judge's experience level/expectations, scores can vary.

FP did a rated show as his first - 2 judges were available, 1 regional & 1 national (FEI): the latter was less generous with the marks (the discretionary half marks were usually left as the lower number ie 6 vs 6.5) though comments made were much the same.

I know at some of the local schooling shows & percentage days, the marks are very generous to "encourage" the riders ... this works until a rider does a rated show & then is devastated by her more realistic mark.

All 6s and 7s with one (I think) 8 on each test, for working trot.
These are decent marks, 8's are not "easy" to obtain :)
& if he did come home with a load of 8's, I'd suggest that he's an accomplished boy who needs to move forward in his training :D

joiedevie99
Oct. 18, 2011, 01:31 PM
Do you know who the judge was? That will tell you more about how accurate the scores were than whether the show was schooling or rated.