PDA

View Full Version : Spur Advice

cadance
Oct. 17, 2011, 04:31 PM
So I'm on the market for my first pair of spurs...I've been borrowing my trainer's high-end German silver pair of HS Balkenhol smooth rowels, and need to get some of my own (long spur w/smooth rowel).

After checking out the cheaper HS version, Stubben, and Korsteel/Metalab designs in-store, they all seem basically the same: flimsy! The rowel was looser/crappier on some brands than others, but the rest of the spur were all of equal quality.

What are your experiences with different brands in this style of spur? Is it worth spending the $52 + shipping on a "regular" pair, and risk them not lasting very long, or should I just go for it and spend the $106 on the higher end ones?

AllWeatherGal
Oct. 17, 2011, 04:43 PM
I have non-fancy spurs ... just small blunt ones, and they've lasted for years n years. If I didn't already have them and could justify spurs, you BET I'd get the really nice high-end ones.

Countrywood
Oct. 17, 2011, 04:49 PM
I am no spur expert, and just posted a spur post . That said, if your horse goes well in these particular spurs, I would spend the extra $, they are proven, and horses do notice subtle differences. You will save money in the long run getting the right equipment the first time (from a person with a trunk full of stuff that didn't work in garage)

jcotton
Oct. 17, 2011, 04:50 PM
Get the best quality spur that you can afford.
Ideally the the better quality (higher $) may cost you more now but won't cost you again because it failed sooner than you expected.

karlymacrae
Oct. 17, 2011, 04:56 PM
What others have said. Get the highest quality that you can afford, they will last longer. (that goes for straps too!)

NorCalDressage
Oct. 17, 2011, 05:16 PM
Is this what you're looking for? The option with the smooth rowels?
http://www.smartpakequine.com/herm-sprenger-ultra-fit-stainless-steel-spurs--1-38in-2108p.aspx?cm_vc=Search
These are sprenger, but not as pricey as the other one you mention because they are stainless steel, not Aurigan or German Silver. Which IME is better because the Aurigan can make discolorations on some lighter colored horses.

I have these in a couple different lengths and really like them.

cadance
Oct. 17, 2011, 05:31 PM
Is this what you're looking for? The option with the smooth rowels?
http://www.smartpakequine.com/herm-sprenger-ultra-fit-stainless-steel-spurs--1-38in-2108p.aspx?cm_vc=Search
These are sprenger, but not as pricey as the other one you mention because they are stainless steel, not Aurigan or German Silver. Which IME is better because the Aurigan can make discolorations on some lighter colored horses.

I have these in a couple different lengths and really like them.
yes, those are the HS ones I thought were of average quality. the way the rowel moves and is placed in the spur is a lot different than the German silver ones, so that's something else I'm thinking about.

And agreed with everyone else about spending the extra $ to get the right thing the first (and hopefully, only) time. If anyone knows someone selling theirs (35 mm smooth rowel), I wouldn't be mad if they told me;)

NorCalDressage
Oct. 17, 2011, 06:40 PM
yes, those are the HS ones I thought were of average quality. the way the rowel moves and is placed in the spur is a lot different than the German silver ones, so that's something else I'm thinking about.

And agreed with everyone else about spending the extra $ to get the right thing the first (and hopefully, only) time. If anyone knows someone selling theirs (35 mm smooth rowel), I wouldn't be mad if they told me;)

Well, I've had both kinds of the Sprengers. Both used for at least a few years each (and still going). And I actually like the less expensive ones. I believe I know what you're talking about with the way the rowel is placed/moves. I've actually had some issue with gunk or dirt or whatever getting in the spaces of the german silver ones. If you're not careful, it can build up and cause them to not spin freely. Have not had this issue with the stainless steel ones and feel that the rowels spin, and keep spinning more freely. I also prefer the ultra fit feature - feel that it keeps the spur in a more stable position on your boot.

Just my personal experience though -

mjhco
Oct. 17, 2011, 07:05 PM
I have a pair of cheaper smooth rowels. And I have the Balkenhol ones (actually 2 pairs now of different shank lengths). The difference in quality and useable is significant. I figure I just wasted the money on the cheaper pair.

baroqueNheart
Oct. 17, 2011, 07:13 PM
BTW, since we are talking spurs, get the Nunn Finer rubber spur straps. They will be the last pair of straps you will buy. And they don't look rubber.

kinnip
Oct. 17, 2011, 07:18 PM
BTW, since we are talking spurs, get the Nunn Finer rubber spur straps. They will be the last pair of straps you will buy. And they don't look rubber.

Sorry to get further off track, but I've been wondering about those, thanks.
Moving parts=lack of longevity. Have you looked into hammerheads for schooling? They aren't quite as sharp, but they'll last longer.

ideayoda
Oct. 17, 2011, 09:00 PM
Rather have longer POW.

cadance
Oct. 17, 2011, 09:39 PM
If you're not careful, it can build up and cause them to not spin freely. Have not had this issue with the stainless steel ones and feel that the rowels spin, and keep spinning more freely. I also prefer the ultra fit feature - feel that it keeps the spur in a more stable position on your boot.

Just my personal experience though -

what do you mean by the "ultra fit feature"? Wouldn't the more expensive ones include that as well?

Petstorejunkie
Oct. 17, 2011, 10:36 PM
can I be totally honest? they are metal, they will still be in great shape even after you retire and you can hang them on your wall and "remember when" buy the high end and be happy with your decision.

cadance
Oct. 17, 2011, 10:45 PM
Sorry to get further off track, but I've been wondering about those, thanks.
Moving parts=lack of longevity. Have you looked into hammerheads for schooling? They aren't quite as sharp, but they'll last longer.

the square-ended ones? no, I haven't, but just from a quick look they seem short and would require more leg movement than with a longer one. I'm just going off what I've been using so far. I haven't really experimented with spurs on my horse, she's not a sensitive girl and the rowels seem to be doing the job (which aren't sharp, btw)

atr
Oct. 17, 2011, 11:00 PM
To me the difference between the balkenhols and all the others is the weight. The heaviness of the more expensive spur makes me much more aware of where they are and what I'm doing with them. Worth every penny...

NorCalDressage
Oct. 17, 2011, 11:34 PM
what do you mean by the "ultra fit feature"? Wouldn't the more expensive ones include that as well?

You're right - they both have them. I guess I was picturing the older Sprenger German Silver spur with the regular spur strap angles.

Now, most of their models have the ultra fit (or Balkenhol fastening)

alibi_18
Oct. 18, 2011, 08:11 AM
... because they are stainless steel, not Aurigan or German Silver. Which IME is better because the Aurigan can make discolorations on some lighter colored horses.

Aurigan causing discoloration? Never heard of that and ride with mine on grays, palominos and light chesnut and never saw that... Where did you got that information?

OP check on ebay, I got mine there for almost half the price. They were 'used', lightly as I could have put a tag back on and pretend they were new, and are my best ever pair of spurs. Its almost sad that my mare doesn't need them... :)

cadance
Oct. 18, 2011, 11:30 AM
ebay is my go-to for horsey things and have had great luck, but can't seem to find the spurs i want on there at the moment :(

alibi_18
Oct. 18, 2011, 11:33 AM
ebay is my go-to for horsey things and have had great luck, but can't seem to find the spurs i want on there at the moment :(

Arent those you are looking for ? :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Herm-Sprenger-Spurs-539-/170700167225?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27be85d839

atr
Oct. 18, 2011, 12:24 PM
Aurigan causing discoloration? Never heard of that and ride with mine on grays, palominos and light chesnut and never saw that... Where did you got that information?

OP check on ebay, I got mine there for almost half the price. They were 'used', lightly as I could have put a tag back on and pretend they were new, and are my best ever pair of spurs. Its almost sad that my mare doesn't need them... :)

I've had this happen with the my Balkenhols on my white horse--and no, I don't have a noisy leg. He has a big barrel and the insides of my ankles lie against him unless I stick my feet out... I think it's like me wearing silver--it reacts with the acid in my skin and makes it go black... lovely!

I painted my spurs with a couple of coats of clear nail varnish, no problem since then, and you can't tell.

mjhco
Oct. 18, 2011, 12:30 PM
For those who think smooth rowels are harsher than POW or hammerheads, take a smooth rowel spur and run it over the back of your hand (assuming smooth rowel is rotating smoothly).

Then with the same pressure push the hammerhead over the back of your hand.

And then the POW across the back of your hand.

See which feels better.

My very sensitive horse much prefers the smooth rowels that just roll across his skin to the POKE of a POW. And just FORGET the hammerhead.

cadance
Oct. 18, 2011, 07:48 PM
Arent those you are looking for ? :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Herm-Sprenger-Spurs-539-/170700167225?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27be85d839

nope, looking for smooth rowels...and $120 is more than any advertised price for new ones :/

cadance
Oct. 18, 2011, 07:49 PM
For those who think smooth rowels are harsher than POW or hammerheads, take a smooth rowel spur and run it over the back of your hand (assuming smooth rowel is rotating smoothly).

agreed, i think a lot of people have the misconception that the rowel is sharpened and acts like a pizza cutter. definitely not the case!

Equibrit
Oct. 18, 2011, 08:00 PM
I like these; http://www.horsehealth.co.uk/rider-equipment/easyspur
Check out the wheel end.

NorCalDressage
Oct. 18, 2011, 10:26 PM
I've had this happen with the my Balkenhols on my white horse--and no, I don't have a noisy leg. He has a big barrel and the insides of my ankles lie against him unless I stick my feet out... I think it's like me wearing silver--it reacts with the acid in my skin and makes it go black... lovely!

I painted my spurs with a couple of coats of clear nail varnish, no problem since then, and you can't tell.

Yeah. Aurigan gets dull really easy. Just like the aurigan bits, they will get discoloration. No matter how meticulous I was with getting all of the metal polish buffed off, lighter colored horses would get darkened spots. Just one of the reasons I prefer the stainless steel ones now. The upkeep is zero.

inspired
Oct. 19, 2011, 09:17 AM
I like the round/knobby ones myself. I haven't had a horse that didn't hear them yet, and they come in different lengths for whatever fits the horse/rider.

I have had a pair of stainless spurs break on me, but I think that if you pay attention to the condition of your equipment in general, that sort of thing is less likely to happen.

I have german silver rowels. The sit in the bottom of my blanket box.

Agree about that angled strap attachment. That does make a difference!!

cadance
Oct. 19, 2011, 09:54 PM
welp, just ordered a pair of the german silver 35mm smooth rowels, too many good reasons. thanks for all the advice!

Sacred_Petra
Oct. 19, 2011, 10:02 PM
I too prefer rowels over knobs. Out of curiosity I poked myself with both my english and western spurs. Using the same amount of force (I poked myself pretty hard), I thought my POWs caused a more unpleasant sensation than even my most severe western spurs.

Just my two cents. Good luck finding the spurs you and your horse prefer.