PDA

View Full Version : Micklem Multi Bridle

esdressage
Oct. 17, 2011, 02:14 PM
So, I just ordered this because my mare injured her mouth area and I can't use a bit while it's healing, so I'm going to use it as a bitless for the next month or so while she heals.

I'm wondering though, has anybody used it as a standard bridle for dressage? I was watching the videos and reading testimonials about it and there seems to be a lot of positive response to it. Just wondering if/hoping that my new (rather expensive) purchase will be useful for more than a few weeks.

shawneeAcres
Oct. 17, 2011, 02:44 PM
We use the Micklem on several horses for dressage and showing. Here is my stallion wearing it at a show a few weeks ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LX0jYZwkdQ

And here are pics (easier to see) from this past weekend at a combined test:

http://pets.webshots.com/album/581553471GAwFtK

It works very well on a variety of horses but my stallion particularly likes the bridle/bit combo we are using now.

poltroon
Oct. 17, 2011, 02:45 PM
Check out this thread:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=309426

esdressage
Oct. 17, 2011, 02:59 PM
Check out this thread:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=309426

Ooooh, very encouraging! Thank you!

I'm glad I might be able to keep using it and have a happy horse to boot. The only bummer is that I bought the "multi" because I first and foremost need it as a bitless bridle while her injured mouth heals (not injured from a bit, btw), so it'll have the d-ring on the noseband which won't be as attractive, but it won't affect the function of the bridle when I convert it to bitted, at least.

Kairoshorses
Oct. 17, 2011, 07:58 PM
I ride eventing dressage, but I have used it for a year an a half, in all three phases. I LOVE my micklem! And my horse really enjoys going bitless when we're doing trot sets and hill work etc.

Pocket Pony
Oct. 17, 2011, 08:14 PM
I have one for Mac and love it. My trainer likes it on him as well. I actually haven't used it bitless because I already had the Bitless Bridle so just keep on using that when I'm out trail riding. At first I thought the Micklem was ugly but my horse has a big ole' mustang head, so it actually looks good on him.

GreyDes
Oct. 17, 2011, 08:55 PM
I STILL think it's ugly :) but my horse really likes it. I haven't shown in it yet, but likely will in the Spring. There's a noticeable difference in his contact with this bridle, so I'll trade-off the looks if I keep seeing this kind of impact.

I did get the competition one - check one of the other threads. I think a few people posted that you had to cut off the noseband D ring to show in the multi bridle, otherwise it was classified as a lunging cavesson.

esdressage
Oct. 17, 2011, 09:53 PM
I did get the competition one - check one of the other threads. I think a few people posted that you had to cut off the noseband D ring to show in the multi bridle, otherwise it was classified as a lunging cavesson.

I have no problem cutting off that D-ring (I wonder what to cut the metal with?). I just need it bitless for now, until I can use a bit on my mare again in a few weeks.

Thanks for the responses! :D

Heinz 57
Oct. 22, 2011, 12:06 AM
I have a question, after a total revelation-worthy ride tonight.

Is it legal to use with the clips? The ones that clip from the noseband to the bit to stabilize it, I mean. They don't come on the 'competition' model.

I inadvertently happened upon the poor man's version of this (without all the ergo-stuff) and my gelding enthusiastically said YES. So much so that I was easily SITTING trot lengthenings, which I have never in my life been able to do. If the bit clips are legal, I will be joining the following.

Big_Grey_hunter
Oct. 22, 2011, 12:11 AM
I have a question, after a total revelation-worthy ride tonight.

Is it legal to use with the clips? The ones that clip from the noseband to the bit to stabilize it, I mean. They don't come on the 'competition' model.

I inadvertently happened upon the poor man's version of this (without all the ergo-stuff) and my gelding enthusiastically said YES. So much so that I was easily SITTING trot lengthenings, which I have never in my life been able to do. If the bit clips are legal, I will be joining the following.

No, you can't show with the clips.

Heinz 57
Oct. 22, 2011, 12:38 AM
Well, good thing I don't have any shows planned til March! :winkgrin: