PDA

View Full Version : saddle too wide

colorfan
Oct. 17, 2011, 02:01 PM
After a good year of searching, paying a small fortune in shipping costs, sending out tracings and trying on saddle after saddle I found a saddle that fits my horse:) and fits me too!:yes:

After a summer of riding the saddle is now too wide.....rolls like a wet dog when I canter:no::sigh: Horse did loose some weight but mostly her withers came up and her muscle shape changed.

Sooo, I have tried a saddle pad with wither shims, this has helped and as long as I remember to retighten the girth all is good.

Question: Can I continue to ride with a pad with shims? Will the shims loose their shimminess(that is a technical term)?

The pad I am using is cut for a cc saddle, is their a dressage style pad with shims?

What is your fav brand?

alto
Oct. 17, 2011, 04:06 PM
I know this is not what you wanted but,
- is the saddle adjustable?
- can you do a new tracing & see what a saddle fitter would suggest given the saddle you have vs a "better fit saddle"?

FP went in a too wide saddle for a while but it was just wiggle room all over vs a saddle that rolled at the canter - 6 months later the too wide fits very nicely.
As far as anecdotes, once the withers came up, either the saddle was adjusted or a new saddle was found ...

Thinline (http://thinlineglobal.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=43) offers 2 shimmable dressage pads - I prefer their inserts over the big smooshie ones (have a Fleeceworks & tossed the shims which didn't seem to work at all for that horse/saddle combination).

ThreeFigs
Oct. 17, 2011, 04:11 PM
Perhaps you simply need some flocking added. it's common for saddle fit to change after the first few months -- the flocking settles and the horse's shape changes, too. As alto mentioned -- perhaps all it needs is an adjustment.

Find a good saddle fitter and hopefully your troubles will be over!

colorfan
Oct. 17, 2011, 05:53 PM
:rolleyes: where's the hammer smiley?

I think I will give the seller/saddle fitter a call.....:o

Thanks for the tip on the thin line pads.