PDA

View Full Version : need enablers

*Teddy*
Oct. 16, 2011, 11:58 PM
I found A used crosby prix st george on ebay, has anyone ridden in one? How did you like it? I have a cc crosby that i really looffff and was thinking id probably feel the same of the dressage. Id sell my checkmate saddle so i could buy it

Countrywood
Oct. 17, 2011, 08:47 AM
I don't know anything about that saddle, but I would not want to buy any saddle sight unseen without ability to return it for a refund if it does not fit. What is their policy?

*Teddy*
Oct. 17, 2011, 12:12 PM
I don't know anything about that saddle, but I would not want to buy any saddle sight unseen without ability to return it for a refund if it does not fit. What is their policy?

They take refund if it doesnt work out, the seller has a 100% satisfaction rating. Also using paypal protects me financially if something does go wrong

GreyStreet
Oct. 17, 2011, 12:31 PM
In my experience, they are nice saddles that hold up well, which is why you can find a lot of older models on eBay at great prices. But, I think they tend to run a bit more narrow in the tree, and the older ones I've sat in have not been all that cushy. That being said, my own saddle (a Barnbsy) is older and isn't the cushiest, and if the saddle fits you and the horse well, it should still feel comfortable.

alto
Oct. 17, 2011, 06:06 PM
Yes, a "med" fits on the narrow end of medium, seat is not wide, "like new" the leather is stiff & hard (& didn't wear well on the older model I've seen BUT so much of that is care), gullet channel narrows significantly towards the cantle so ask for some measurements/photo of the underside. Also ask if it's wool flocked & request flap measurements.
The "like new" one was on consignment at a local tack shop, listed at ~$600 & barely went out on trial over a 2 year period, I don't know if it finally sold or if it just went back home ...

Modernizations of saddles include wider & softer seats, bigger blocks, wider gullet channels, so these are usually missing in older style saddles (exception, the 86 County Competitor has a surprisingly wide gullet channel).

If your Crosby is of a similar era, there is a greater chance that you will like this saddle :)

(just calculate shipping/insurance costs before you buy as you'll need to pay both ways if it doesn't work out)