PDA

View Full Version : Unisit

jillanddaniel
Oct. 15, 2011, 05:37 PM
I'm wondering if anyone has ever used the Unisit? It is a strap that helps train you to sit correctly and if so how did you like it?

My concern is that I will use it and it will work great while I use it, but when I take it off I won't have the muscles to hold me there and I'll still flop around!

Thanks!

Countrywood
Oct. 16, 2011, 02:48 PM
Never seen one but I once bought a similar type gadget from Mary Wanless website...worthless, I ended up giving it away. Get a leather bucking strap, as long as possible, holding it does the same thing. But ultimately, as you said, you need your own muscles, and I have found yoga did more for me than anything...a combo of strength and flexiblity. Even 10-15 min a day will help, holding the poses is what builds the strength.

dalpal
Oct. 16, 2011, 02:50 PM
I had one, never used it...never had anyone to help strap me in...so I sold it.

mtngirl
Oct. 16, 2011, 06:38 PM
I've used it...it has helped me quite a bit with the sitting trot. I suppose you could rig it up to get in and out of it by yourself, but it's easier and seems safer with a 2nd person to help you. I also find I can only tolerate using it for short periods of time.

Having said that, if I use it for say 15-30 minutes (after a good warmup)...the rest of my ride is usually vastly improved. I think if I used it consistently my sitting trot would improve much more, but I ride alone 90% of time, so I don't get the full benefit.

It was a good tool for helping me find that correct "sweet spot", (took me a long time to truely find that, I still struggle at times). Now that I've found it, I'm working on strengthening my core and the correct muscles so I can keep improving. A long bucking strap is good, but doesn't work as well for me.

Carol O
Oct. 16, 2011, 08:57 PM
I had one and also used it a few times before selling it on. One of the things that stood out to me about it was how nicely my horse moved when I was strapped on. At the time I was learning my FEI DWB. He has huge gaits. I used the unisit and got a vision of how it was supposed to feel. Again, the thing I most remember is how round my horse became. After getting that feel of how it was supposed to feel I knew what to aspire to; I still had to learn to do it without strapping, however.

Valentina_32926
Oct. 17, 2011, 06:46 PM
Like Carol O - bought one, used a few times (when I had a helper available to strap me in) and got the feel of a good sitting trot. Cantering with it on hurt my back (my mare has a VERY LARGE canter stride).

I did help me "get the feel" for being "stuck" on the seat and following with my seat. See if you can find someone who will sell their Unisit - I did at a lot less than I bought it for.

CatOnLap
Oct. 19, 2011, 11:55 PM
wow, are they still marketing that?

A group of friends had one at least a decade ago and it passed from hand to hand. Nearly all of us ignored the advice to have a second person around and we were all able to strap into it by ourselves. Nearly all of us found it a bit helpful. For me, it was shortly after I started riding again after a devastating pelvic injury that kept me off horses for 2 years. My sacral-iliac joints had frozen with scar tissue and I was quite stiff in my lower back. That combined with a huge moving FEI horse made for great discomfort. The unisit helped me to regain my feel for the big moving trot and canter but strapping me in that way quite inhibited the horse's movement as well. It was a good start though, and after the first 10 minutes or so of a ride, it would usually unhitch itself- the safety mechanism works too well in some ways, and I would continue the ride without it. After a few weeks I passed it onto the next person. it is not a mriacle cure and it does not imrpove your core muscles, but it can give you a feel which was helpful.