PDA

View Full Version : knee patch or full seat

colorfan
Oct. 15, 2011, 10:17 AM
Which style do you prefer for riding in warm winter breeches?

I am also wondering if one style or another is considered discipline specific?

Like D-rings are hunter, figure 8 are jumpers, etc.

candysgirl
Oct. 15, 2011, 12:17 PM
I like riding in my full seats with Under Armor Cold Gear leggings under them. That said, I don't have an indoor and I live in flat, windy and cold central Indiana. The seat on them is THICK and its not very comfortable in the warmer months, but I do love them in the winter.

My saddles (both Stubbens) are both smooth and fairly flat and I don't feel like the full seats trap me or make my seat stick too much. My friend has M. Toulouses and I would NOT want to ride in full seats in her jumping saddle. There's no way I'd ever be able to get out of the saddle - the leather is too textured and tacky. It would be like Velcro.

Full seats are more traditionally worn for dressage and knee patches are traditionally worn for essentially everything else.

I'm not seriously into any one discipline. I'm learning to jump so I can join the local foxhunting club next year and I do some basic dressage to make us more balanced for endurance.

colorfan
Oct. 17, 2011, 05:50 PM
thank you

Valentina_32926
Oct. 17, 2011, 06:35 PM
I ride year round in cotton full seat (Clarino seats) breeches. No leather seats - too hot - and Clarino can be washed.

WNT
Oct. 17, 2011, 06:58 PM
My experience with a few types of Polartec-type breeches (run of the mill stretchy fleece and the WindPro stuff), is that the fabric tends to be pretty slick. I have a pair of each in knee patch, and I swear the next pair will be full seats. Maybe not the Kerrits Grip Tek (VERY grippy), but definitely a full seat.

colorfan
Oct. 31, 2011, 09:27 PM
I have the Kerrits sit tight n warm, they too are grippy, and I find tend to fall down at the waist.
Otherwise appear to wear and wash well, and are warm and stretchy(comfy).

NorCalDressage
Oct. 31, 2011, 09:40 PM
Full seat or knee patch is just a personal preference. There's a big difference in feel between a leather full seat and some of the newer seat fabrics that they have now days. Leather is grippier, thicker and has no stretch to it. Some of the newer full seat they have are SO much more comfy, and move with you a lot better. A lot of dressage riders do knee patches, so if that's what you prefer - go with it.

What has seemed to work the best for me is, instead of getting different winter breeches, or putting an under layer on, is putting a pair or winter type (wind resistant or waterproof, etc) pants on over the breeches, then taking them off for riding and then back on when you're done. Lots of them are tear off style, so easy to put on and off.

And when I'm warming up or cooling down when it's really cold (for California, lol) I have the quarter sheet on the horse & wrapped over my legs. Once you get really riding, you tend to stay warmer.

Carol O
Oct. 31, 2011, 09:53 PM
i make my own, with no knee patch or full seat. I order Malden Mills fabrics and use a pattern for leggings. Without the knee patch or full seat, they easily double for office wear with a sweater, saving time after work to transition to barn wear.

PiaffePlease
Oct. 31, 2011, 10:11 PM
My full seats are thicker, so I usually ride in those in the winter. Summers in NC are HOT, so I ride in riding tights. In the really cold months, I have under armor pants and shirt. I dont think that there is much difference in warmth between my knee patch breeches (not my tights) and my fullseats. I used to ride in chaps and those helped break the wind.

cadance
Nov. 2, 2011, 11:36 AM
its rare that i get cold during a ride (Even in the dead of winter, i work up a sweat while grooming), so luckily i don't have to worry about winter breeches!