PDA

View Full Version : Dressage IS a lot like golf...

AnastasiaBeaverhousen
Oct. 15, 2011, 12:41 AM
I was talking to my co-worker about golf. he's an addict - and he told me how frustrating it could be, and how it was never the same game.

i asked him how his game had been that day, and he said
"I had to put my driver in time-out. It was misbehaving. "

It made me realize that dressage is a lot like that.
You never have the same ride twice, and you can have a great
ride one day, and try to do it again the next day, and have a totally different result.

Very frustrating, but oh so rewarding, when you get it right.

I havent put my saddle into time out - yet.

xQHDQ
Oct. 15, 2011, 08:25 AM
Because golf and dressage are so similar my husband and I can relate to each other's passions.

In both activities (I still wouldn't call golf a sport), a tiny change in position makes a huge difference in performance. This is probably the biggest realization that we discuss.

We both take lessons and sometimes it takes a practice day to figure out what we learned and other times we need a bunch of lessons to figure whatever it is out. Both are more mental than physical but you still need a level of fitness to do either well. You get into slumps in both activities. You have amazing moments in both. And both are "played" outside (or in an indoor if you are so fortunate).

Foxtrot
Oct. 15, 2011, 09:44 PM
When tending bar at a country club, I got to listen to a lot of shop talk. Didn't know first thing about golf, and was told "95% is played here" and guy points to his head. Huh. Wouldn't have thought. But riding is like that. All in the rider's mind, the psych outs, the prep work, whateva. Made me appreciate golf more!

FalseImpression
Oct. 15, 2011, 09:55 PM
oh, I thought you meant... it is just as boring to watch...
That's my opinion and I am entitled to it...;)

Countrywood
Oct. 15, 2011, 09:58 PM
I don't play golf but so many differences. Perhaps they are alike in that golfers get obsessed with perfection, the elusive perfect form or shot etc...but beyond that...the interaction with a living animal and devotion to it is lacking in golf as is the danger aspect...I know people get hit by lightening on golf courses or occasional other freak events but beyond that it is a very safe sport compared to most. We have a zillion golf courses here in FL and to be honest, I just never got the appeal.

esdressage
Oct. 16, 2011, 01:56 PM
Because golf and dressage are so similar my husband and I can relate to each other's passions.

Same here! It works out very well, actually!

oldernewbie
Oct. 16, 2011, 07:57 PM
I rely on golf terminology to categorize my dressage abilities. To wit: I am a hacker, working towards being a duffer, hoping to be player some day!

xQHDQ
Oct. 16, 2011, 08:29 PM
I have to add that I sometimes play golf too. It may be boring to watch (it gets less boring when you play it) but it is just as frustrating to play as riding dressage when things are not going right. But for me, not as cool when things are going right. There's nothing like feeling like you and this giant animal are of the same mind.

However...My goal in golf is for the ball to go up and back down in a nice straight arc. Who knew that would be so hard. Soften your knees, don't tense your shoulders. Not so much force in your swing. Keep your eyes on the ball even though you want it to go over there. Don't twist. Don't drop your shoulder. Your swing before and after hitting the ball should be equal and in the same rhythm. Your feet are too far from the ball. Now your feet are too close to the ball...

Sound familiar?

Bogey2
Oct. 17, 2011, 06:33 AM
I played golf years ago and really liked it for about 9 holes:lol: unless it was a par 3 then I would play 18. My husband plays a lot of golf and watches the big tournaments on t.v.

I ride a lot and only watch the big competitions (on the computer) I rarely watch any rides at the shows I attend unless it's someone I know or the FEI classes.

edited to add that I love to watch the warm-up area!

SPF10
Oct. 17, 2011, 07:20 AM
I can see the comparison, I actually like both, those little things that go right are what keep you coming back in both activities, and watching the big guys in both activities is enthralling, they make it look so easy!

alibi_18
Oct. 17, 2011, 08:01 AM
Dressage is a lot like...any other sports.

Time, patience, great understanding, devotion, strengt, suppleness, big influence from breathing, body position, tiny precise actions, mental state and equipment.

And like team sports, we do have to take in account our 'partner' in the pursue of our dreams! and everyday training.

The only difference is that our partner is not human. It is a horse and its needs are...well not necesserally as obvious because horses cannot speak for themselves!

Also, it is the only sport where men and women (mare/stallion/gelding!) can compete agaisnt each other!

Countrywood
Oct. 17, 2011, 08:11 AM
With all due respect to golf fans, I still don't get it. To me, dressage is more like surfing...using your body to make small adjustments and achieve balance over a large powerful moving body with an element of unpredictabilty... I mean, who falls down on a golf course? (unless you trip over your own feet). Sorry I just don't get golf at all. Walking between holes or driving in a cart, ugh. Dressage even has more in common with bike riding, where you have to balance and at least are traveling over a distance. I like action sports and individual sports like skiing, imo that has more to do with riding...team sports with balls of any kind have little or nothing in common with riding. Maybe working with a dog in dog agility does, in some respects.