PDA

View Full Version : Hap Hansen

Suzeee
Nov. 9, 2003, 01:17 PM
I just read on Towerheads that Hap is no longer going to be affiliated with Rocky Mountain Warmbloods after this month. Anyone know what happened? Or where he is going to be trainig now? I have always admired his riding style. I'd love to work with him, but I'm in the midwest. Any chance he's leaving California??

"A horse, a horse, my kingdom for a horse!" Shakespeare's Richard III

Suzeee
Nov. 9, 2003, 01:17 PM
I just read on Towerheads that Hap is no longer going to be affiliated with Rocky Mountain Warmbloods after this month. Anyone know what happened? Or where he is going to be trainig now? I have always admired his riding style. I'd love to work with him, but I'm in the midwest. Any chance he's leaving California??

adhock
Nov. 9, 2003, 02:37 PM
From what I know, Hap will be staying in So. Cal and will focus on buying/selling and training private clients. He does have a small plane and loves any excuse to fly, so maybe you can work something out with him or join up with him at Indio. Because of the Regency Park shows before and after Indio, I have a hunch that Hap and a number of rider/trainers will be spending extended time in the desert. He is a terrific rider and trainer and an all arund great guy. I have a hunch that his "dance card" will get filled up very quickly from people who weren't able to train with him when he was at RMW.

Lord Helpus
Nov. 9, 2003, 02:56 PM
Hap is one of the all around nicest human beings I have ever met.

One time my horse tripped in the warm up ring (trotting around). I slid down his neck and (stupidly) put my hands out to break my fall. All I broke was both wrists... My trainer had not even come over to the warm up ring at that point. But it didn't matter -- Hap was over to me in the blink of an eye, calling for the emt's and generally organizing everything.

Another time, we were stabled at Montery in the barn across from Hap. He was there late because a jumper class was the first class of the evening session. We had all left to go out to dinner in Carmel because the hunters were finished for the day. One of the horses in our barn started to colic badly. No one could reach us because we were not yet back to the hotel (this was in the days before cell phones -- believe it or not...). Hap hitched up his rig and took the horse to the local vet clinic and stayed with it until my trainer got the message at the hotel and raced over there to be with the horse.

There are not many people in the show world who go the extra mile like Hap does. What a guy! I have had a crush on him for decades.... SIGH.....

Weatherford
Nov. 9, 2003, 03:34 PM
Nice, LordHelpus!!

I have always heard great things about Hap - he even contributed to our book!

It's OUT! Linda Allen's 101 Exercises for Jumping co-authored by MOI!!! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

ESG
Nov. 9, 2003, 03:49 PM
I second the "Hap Hansen is a gem" comment. I met him for the first time at High Prairie about six years ago. At the time, I had a horse in my barn that he had supposedly shown in the open jumpers and the mini-prixs (but we all know about how thatgoes) and I asked him about the horse. He not only remembered him but remembered to whom he'd been sold. When I thanked him for doing such a good job on the horse, he very modestly said "Well, he came that way". Somehow, I doubt that, but it left no doubt in my mind that Hap Hansen is not only the most under-rated rider in the US but quite probably the nicest. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Faded Dreams
Nov. 9, 2003, 04:13 PM
Call me a dork but Hap Hansen was in the TB Books http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif :P

Tiffany

*founder of the Appendix QH clique*

*member of the thoroughbred clique*

LargeJuniorHunter
Nov. 9, 2003, 04:30 PM
I too have heard great things about Hap.
Before I was with my trainer, she and one of her students did the jumpers, and they were at many of the shows Hap and his students were at. When Hap would be schooling or teaching they would hide in the backround and just watch him and his methods! My trainer had mostly taught hunters before then, so she took many tips from Mr. Hansan, and they were quite successful because of his insight!
He is truly one of a kind.

*Founder of: "Non-GPA owners" clique
Member of: "I got left out of the ponies" clique!
~God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses~

Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl
Nov. 9, 2003, 04:47 PM
All I know is a couple years ago, within about 6 months in the Chronicle there were excactly two photos which made me say "Wow!" about the horse, rider, and whole picture.

The first was Hap landing and turning after some GP jump. The second, months later, turned out to be one of his clients, in a sales ad. Maybe it was a coincidence that those were the two photos which leapt out at me http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif, but I tend to think his training must have had something to do with it.

Heather Dobbs
Nov. 9, 2003, 05:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by *JumperStar*:
Call me a dork but Hap Hansen was in the TB Books http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif :P

_Tiffany_

*member of the thoroughbred clique*<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol, i'm a dork too! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif i used to read those all the time when i was younger

~*~it's all good...and i'm all that~*~

LargeJuniorHunter
Nov. 9, 2003, 05:44 PM
He was in the TB books??? I used to be obsessed with those!! hahah when is he in there? Or was he only in like one?

*Founder of: "Non-GPA owners" clique
Member of: "I got left out of the ponies" clique!
~God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses~

Amethyst
Nov. 9, 2003, 06:21 PM
It is really exciting that Hap is starting his new venture. I'm sure those wishing to contact him may e-mail to HHRSF@aol.com. Hap, here is to great success for the 2004 season and beyond!

Melissa

poltroon
Nov. 9, 2003, 10:37 PM
He is a great guy, and an incredible rider and teacher. Definitely one of California's Secret Weapons. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

TQ
Nov. 10, 2003, 08:24 AM
Hap is the best.

2Dogs
Nov. 10, 2003, 08:42 AM
Hap is terrific. The first time I ever rode in jumpers, I went to Indio on a borrowed horse - was 7 years ago. As was often the case, my trainers were no where to be found for my very first course walk. I mean, I had no idea what the tables meant, or Power and Speed....soo, it was a training class and I stood in the ring, looking forlorn, Hap came up and said I could walk with him. Don't know how he knew I had been abandoned, but we had seen eachother over the years and chatted of and on. In any event, he walked me around, describing strides and educating me on where to turn and the definition of the "Power and Speed". He was so kind and never once condescending.
I went in and had a terrific round - I was seventh. Hap came up and congratulated me after the pinning.

A class act!!!!

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result"
Albert Einstein

Faded Dreams
Nov. 10, 2003, 09:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>LargeJuniorHunter
He was in the TB books??? I used to be obsessed with those!! hahah when is he in there? Or was he only in like one?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think he was....let me look it up.... Book# 50. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Tiffany

*member of the thoroughbred clique*

Tiramit
Nov. 10, 2003, 10:32 AM
After watching him ride (yes, very impressive!) for years in the jumper ring, I was amazed to find him so genuinely nice and down to earth in "real life." I just didn't think someone at the top would chat with me as a &lt;gasp&gt; rider, a member of his sport! Definitely one of the nicest riders out there! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

.................................................. .................................................. ......
"Whether you think you can or think you can't - you are right." -Henry Ford

Party Rose
Nov. 10, 2003, 10:37 AM
We are proud in San Diego to have Hap as a resident.

He is everything & more of what you all have communicated.

Amethyst
Nov. 10, 2003, 05:37 PM
Ken Kraus was really nice to post the press release notifying us that Hap Hansen is no longer the private trainerfor Rocky Mountain Warmbloods. This news gives all those interested a chance to work w/one of the best. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Hap is one of the best riders, trainers, and humanbeiings I havee ever had the pleasure to know!!

Melissa

Amethyst
Nov. 10, 2003, 05:43 PM
Sorry for the spelling errors, should read: human beings I have had the pleasure...

Melissa

Suzeee
Nov. 10, 2003, 07:17 PM
So now I'm being purely nosy, but who is RMW bringing in to ride for them now?

khobstetter
Nov. 10, 2003, 07:43 PM
I got an email from Hap this morning and he is doing super, said that they are on GREAT terms but they are both going in a different direction.

He is going to stay at Rocky Mountain Warmbloods, for a short time, with a few clients and look for a place to start a "new business".

He will obviously have a GREAT clientele in a short time.

He has been a very close friend since he was in his teens and rode a wonderful hunter named Green Dolphin...at the same time he was still doing saddlebreds...sort of ages bothof us HUH????? http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/lol.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

They don't make Hap Hansen's any more, they broke the mold with this one...!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.foxpointefarm.com
http://www.go-sho.org

Mardi
Nov. 10, 2003, 08:53 PM
TQ, is that you ?

It's me...(think Amour,Gigi,Mimi). I'm visiting from the Dressage board.

Hap may be the best, but you're the best too !
How nice to see all these great comments about Hap. I hope he knows they're here.

Coreene
Nov. 10, 2003, 10:03 PM
He is such a nice guy.

Who remembers that gorgeous WB mare called For Utah that he had in his barn about 20 years ago? A chestnut filly; her left front was completely white. Gorgeous, gorgeous horse. And who can ever forget that most sad and yet gracious moment on Hai Karate. True class.

Peggy
Nov. 10, 2003, 10:08 PM
Definitely a class act and quite a rider. I was at the Dublin horse show about 10 years ago with a group of people that included a couple from PA. We were watching some sort of international jumper class, and in comes Hap. East coast person asks, "who is this Hap Hansen person; I've never heard of him?" Hap, of course, laid down one of those trips that looked like hunters over giant jumper fences.

khobstetter - my friend Julie traded horse with Hap in a medal class at Del Mar years ago and got to ride Green Dolphin. She accidentally did an "unorthodox" dismount off her own horse for the switch. The judge was Victor H-V who killed her for it. Guess that dates all of us.

Melzy
Nov. 11, 2003, 07:30 AM
Hap and my mother shared the same birthday, Nov.29th. Whenever she saw him at the WIHS, they always hugged. I loffed him for that alone; never mind his horsemanship!!! Mother is deceased now but I'll never forget Hap's kindness towards her. http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/winkgrin.gif

TQ
Nov. 11, 2003, 08:56 AM
Melzy
I share your appreciation for Hap's kindness where our Mothers are concerned. Shortly after my beloved Daddy died I got word that my Mother was in critical condition in the hospital in New Mexico. We were at a horse show and I went straight to Hap and told him I would be going to New Mexico as quickly as I could get a flight. I was in pretty bad shape. Hap immediatly made his plane and pilot available and made sure that I flew home to Mother without delay. As soon as I arrived at the hospital Hap called to say that he had just won a good class on my horse. His kindness and immediate help made the difference and Mother made a good turn-around and is doing well.

It's a close race...which is more amazing...Hap the Horseman or Hap the Humanitarian? The winner is all of us who are lucky enough to know him.

Parminch
Nov. 11, 2003, 12:34 PM
I, too am a HUGE Hap Hansen fan.......He is the nicest man and the most talented horseman going as far as I am concerned.
I had the distinct pleasure of judging with him many times (before I retired from judging) and I have to say he is one of the best judges you will ever have offciate at a show!!!
He has the greatest sense of humor.....in his own quiet way.... Had me in tears laughing many times.
Love reading about all the wonderful things he has done for friends and aquaintances and I have to say from what I have seen of him I am not surprised. It is soooooo very refreshing to have a post about someone that has nothing but rave reviews about them. Obivously Hap deserves every good one of them too.

~Pine Meadow Farm~

Coreene
Nov. 11, 2003, 01:35 PM
TQ, who can forget your divine Spring Snow and 'SNews when they were in Hap's barn, what utterly gorgeous horses those two were.

buryinghill1
Nov. 11, 2003, 01:52 PM
A lonnnng time ago I went to the World Cup finals in Gothenburg. I was pretty young filly and, er, naive. I had SUCH a crush on Hap. He was so wonderful. Everywhere he went I seemed to be tagging along. A wise rider pulled me aside and sure taught me a swift lesson in adult preferences. http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/lol.gif My face was red for the whole week. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_redface.gif
Damn, he rides well http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Melzy
Nov. 11, 2003, 04:05 PM
TQ, your story about your mother and Hap's kindness touched my heart. Thanks for sharing it and I'm glad you still have her to love. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Best wishes.

TQ
Nov. 12, 2003, 07:24 AM
Coreen
Great memories of great horses and so much fun in Hap's barn. I haven't figured out who you are so I don't know which other horses you might remember. Hap has ridden so many fabuous horses! In some cases they might not have been so fabulous without Hap. We have been lucky enough to own some really good ones and shared lots of fun and success with Hap. Do you remember Zulu? Hap and I both showed Best Of Luck before he got too busy breeding to have time to show. Most recently Hap has been riding my young stallion, More Than Luck...he's done well in the jumpers. Hap rode him in the $50,000 Budweiser International Speed Derby at The Oaks CSI. Then, for a little variety, Hap rode him in the Regular Working and Regular Conformation and was Reserve Champion at both. Hap can do anything and make it all fun and easy.

Coreene
Nov. 12, 2003, 09:21 AM
Who can forget Zulu? Is he still alive? Last I heard was he was retired in Germany, is he still going strong? Very cool when the then very young Ms Hough rode him in her first grand prix.

LGW
Nov. 12, 2003, 09:47 AM
How refreshing it to see this thread reach Page #2 and all posts have been nothing but nice comments about Hap Hansen. Is this the first time in COTH BB history, a person has been talked about so nicely and not one bad post? If so, that itself speaks very highly of Hap.

BLBGP
Nov. 12, 2003, 09:52 AM
Oh, Zulu was such a nice horse. I remember Lauren riding him in the Grand Prix...I was a tad jealous!

Hap is fabulous, both as a rider and a person. These stories have said so much about him.

Have we ever before had a thread that made it this far without someone voicing a negative opinion???

jayha
Nov. 12, 2003, 10:11 AM
I have to chime in on this thread because I, too, have nothing but great things to say about Hap. Because of him, I had the unbelievable experience of leasing his great horse Acord for my last year in the juniors. He's hands down the nicest horse I've ever called my "own." My first couple of shows in the bigger classes Hap was always watching from the ingate. Made me nervous as heck, but he was always so nice and supportive.

Man, I miss that horse. I didn't get to ride him for very long, but I still look back on it as one of my greatest experiences ever.

BLBGP
Nov. 12, 2003, 11:04 AM
jayha -

Wow!!! That is great! Any pictures to share?

D-funk
Nov. 12, 2003, 02:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by khobstetter:
He is going to stay at Rocky Mountain Warmbloods, for a short time, with a few clients and look for a place to start a "new business".<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Has he hinted where he might start this new business?

Easy come, easy go.

Hopeful Hunter
Nov. 12, 2003, 03:17 PM
What a GREAT thread! i've never had the privilege of meeting Mr. Hansen, but HE sounds like exactly the type of person we should try to put "out in public" more as a representative of our sport. It's great to hear of someone at the top who really represents a TRUE winner.

Chef Jade
Nov. 12, 2003, 06:08 PM
I don't have much to add, except that I bought my first legitimate equitation horse from Hap's barn. Everyone there was so nice and encouraging when this star-struck gunsel shows up at one of the nicest barn on the west coast to try one of their fancy horses. Then, to top it off, once we bought horse, Hap and Phillip gave me a bit they had custom made for him. All they said was once I got my own bit made to return it. Well it took 2 years (and a lot of $$) to get that bit made but they didn't care.

Hap had nothing but nice words and offers of encouragement with this horse. They always cheered me on when they saw me at shows...even though I was a "no name" from a small barn.

Come and visit the horses at: http://www.crosscreek.tk

Kestrel
Nov. 12, 2003, 06:34 PM
Well, I guess I'm the only one to have a bad experience. I'll chalk it up to a rare occurance since everyone else has come out o.k. dealing with them, but I won't do business with them again.

Mardi
Nov. 12, 2003, 06:51 PM
Hopeful Hunter: you're right. Hap would be, and is, a great representative of the sport.
Too bad many of the young riders coming up aren't aware of what a good sportsman, and good horseman, he is...he's a very worthy role model.

This positive thread so very refreshing.
The dressage board ran absolutely amuk about Robert Dover and his new horse. The moderator had to close it down. I'm staying over here for awhile where it's safe, and pleasant.

larosa90
Nov. 12, 2003, 07:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Coreene:
He is such a nice guy.

Who remembers that gorgeous WB mare called For Utah that he had in his barn about 20 years ago? A chestnut filly; her left front was completely white. Gorgeous, gorgeous horse. And who can ever forget that most sad and yet gracious moment on Hai Karate. True class.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was a junior rider then, about 12 or 13 when I saw him go on that horse. Awesome. I am glad that I missed the class when Hai Karate died so my memory of him is of his poofy forelock and raifish head shake and oh so beautiful style. Hap was my hero then -- I would try to watch him as much as I could, a regular arena rat! I haven't seen Hap in 20 years in person, but I always look for his photos in magazines.

Bumpkin
Nov. 12, 2003, 08:00 PM
Ahhh the memories.....Hap on Green Dolphin and Susie on Best Bet.

"Proud Member Of The I Love Dublin, Starman Babies, Mini Horse, Sunnieflax and Horse Boxes Cliques"
"Remember: You're A Customer In A Service Industry."

~LF
Nov. 14, 2003, 09:22 AM
I don't know if this is allowed,
but does anyone have Hap's contact information at his new barn?

Suzeee
Nov. 14, 2003, 02:24 PM
Thanks to everyone for their great replies so far!

LF, on page one of this thread, someone gives his email address: HHRSF@aol.com

AHorseSomeDay
Nov. 14, 2003, 04:41 PM
How did Hai Karate die? I never heard that story.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by larosa90:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Coreene:
He is such a nice guy.

Who remembers that gorgeous WB mare called For Utah that he had in his barn about 20 years ago? A chestnut filly; her left front was completely white. Gorgeous, gorgeous horse. And who can ever forget that most sad and yet gracious moment on Hai Karate. True class.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was a junior rider then, about 12 or 13 when I saw him go on that horse. Awesome. I am glad that I missed the class when Hai Karate died so my memory of him is of his poofy forelock and raifish head shake and oh so beautiful style. Hap was my hero then -- I would try to watch him as much as I could, a regular arena rat! I haven't seen Hap in 20 years in person, but I always look for his photos in magazines.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

larosa90
Nov. 14, 2003, 06:11 PM
Someone who was there may know more, but as I understand it, Hap was riding him in a Grand Prix (I believe in Arizona during the Winter circuit there). Hap was on course with Hai Karate when he collapsed after landing off of a fence -- just fell over and died. I think I remember hearing that it was essentially a heart attack or some other heart problem.

After the show staff cleared the ring, Hap rode one of his other mounts to a clear round and ultimately won the class -- he had 4 or 5 horses in the class.

I cannot imagine the grief of losing that horse so tragically, but at least HK died doing what he did best. He was stunning.

khobstetter
Nov. 14, 2003, 06:39 PM
The show was Flintridge, I think in the summer that year. Hap came around the end of the ring on the right lead, past the in gate to an oxer (I think either in or out of a combination, can't remember ALL of it)...

He jumped into the air for the oxer and then never unfolded, just hit the ground and was gone. Hap rolled free and was not hurt....

The older guy who owned the horse was devestated...

A little history on that horse (as I remember it)...he was owned by the older guy just about all the time BUT no one believed in him. He jumped in rather "interesting" form, even for those days and always had rails and lots of faults...

The guy still believed he would be a great horse and just kept taking him to show after show for years...

Then he started jumping clean and getting good prizes then better ones...just about the time the horse really came into his own with Hap riding, it happened..everyone was crushed... http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/sigh.gif

Coreene
Nov. 14, 2003, 08:23 PM
It was absolutely devastating for everyone who saw it. Hap said later that he could feel it at the exact moment when the horse died. So sad, so very sad - and then to come back and win the class ... well, that just about did everyone in. One of those unforgettable moments. That was SUCH a cool horse.

larosa90
Nov. 14, 2003, 08:34 PM
Wow.

Bumpkin
Nov. 14, 2003, 09:32 PM
I have the HORSES magazine here with the photos of HH and HK and memorial page.
I think it was around the same time that Gary Ryman was murdered.

"Proud Member Of The I Love Dublin, Starman Babies, Mini Horse, Sunnieflax and Horse Boxes Cliques"
"Remember: You're A Customer In A Service Industry."

SweatySaddlepad
Nov. 15, 2003, 05:32 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by khobstetter:
The show was Flintridge, I think in the summer that year. Hap came around the end of the ring on the right lead, past the in gate to an oxer (I think either in or out of a combination, can't remember ALL of it)...

Are you sure it was Flintridge?? I saw Hap go down with a horse in Goodyear AZ (When we still had the World Cup qualifying shows), same thing horse went up beautifully in mid-air he just dropped like a stone. My memory is a bit fuzzy since it was years ago but the sight of it is forever burned, terrible http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/cry.gif thank God Hap was okay.

khobstetter
Nov. 15, 2003, 07:07 AM
I will see Hap tonite at the LA Grand Prix. I will ask him...

Gosh knows I could absolutely be wrong but I don't know....I wIll go STRAIGHT TO THE HORSES MOUTH !!!

http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/lol.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/winkgrin.gif Get the pun????

showgirl
Nov. 15, 2003, 07:43 AM
Hai Karate died while jumping the World Cup Qualifier Grand Prix at the Flintridge Fall Horse Show (used to be called The Flintridge Amateur Horse Show, even though it hosted the GP)also used to host the West Coast Regional Maclay Finals at that event.

Coreene
Nov. 15, 2003, 08:09 AM
Always loffed another of his GP horses, Faon Rouge. He rode him and HK at the WC final in '82.

Melzy
Nov. 17, 2003, 08:06 PM
There is a close up photo of Hap on Towerheads' home page today. He's better looking in person, I think. http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/winkgrin.gif

Suzeee
Nov. 17, 2003, 11:00 PM
There is also an audio interview with Hap over on Towerheads. Ken Kraus talked to him just last night, and even mentions this thread. He read some of the posts to Hap, and Hap said he's been here to read them himself. How cool is that? Good wishes to you in your new venture, if you're reading this again, Hap!

Portia
Nov. 18, 2003, 08:27 AM
Awww. It's so nice to hear about one of the really good ones. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I remember when he was an 18 year old with his first pro job, at Bradley's Bonita Valley Farm in San Diego. It was mostly saddlebreds, but with a small hunter barn that he was trainer for. I was 12 or so and took one saddleseat group lesson every Saturday. I still remember one day our instructer Jim McEvoy was off at a show and Hap filled in for him -- so I can truthfully say I've had a lesson from Hap Hansen. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I got my Portia from Mary and Rocky Mountain Warmbloods, and it was watching Hap ride Pikadero that made me want one of his babies -- Pikadero's babies that is. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif I couldn't be happier with her, as everyone here knows by now. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Who figures an immigrant's going to have a pony? ... Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense... am I wrong?" Jerry Seinfeld http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

RugBug
Nov. 18, 2003, 03:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Portia:

I got my Portia from Mary and Rocky Mountain Warmbloods, and it was watching Hap ride Pikadero that made me want one of his babies -- Pikadero's babies that is. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif I couldn't be happier with her, as everyone here knows by now. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, that answers another question. I was looking at the Rocky Mountain WB site and saw a Portia...made me wonder if it was your girl. She's beeyoutiful!

As for HH...to have a thread that is three pages long and hardly a negative word must mean he is quite the horseman and human.

Finnegan
Nov. 18, 2003, 03:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kestrel:
Well, I guess I'm the only one to have a bad experience. I'll chalk it up to a rare occurance since everyone else has come out o.k. dealing with them, but I won't do business with them again.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was the bad experience with "them" while Hap was at RMW? If so, I've heard other things too. Not so much about Hap, but That Woman there (who shall remain nameless as I'm sure someone on this board will be her best friend or mother or something!) But That Woman really is on her high horse. I don't know if she just felt special because she had Hap riding/working for her, but he can do so much better than her. That Woman was so incredibly rude, and in particular to someone I know very well. So perhaps he was not always at his happiest (?) while there. So yay for Hap freeing himself from unncecessary burdens and here's to many more years of being a wonderful role-model and continually teaching us all something.

~Bev

-----------------------
Finnegans Wake
Irish Sport Horse x Hanoverian
16.1hh
bay

Kestrel
Nov. 18, 2003, 09:44 PM
My experience was about 9 years ago. I think that was well before RMW, but I could be wrong.

MareOne
Nov. 18, 2003, 10:46 PM
Finnegan, I know EXACTLY what you mean. I used to ride at That Woman's previous stable (before she, er I mean her daddy, bought her the current one). She has a bit of a superiority complex, to put it mildly.

khobstetter
Nov. 18, 2003, 10:54 PM
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO this wonderful thread about Hap has turned into an attack of "THAT WOMAN"...

"THAT WOMAN" has a name and has been a great friend to alot of people out there..including Hap!!!!

I thought this thread was soooooooooo refreshing and nice since it's one of the few that was positive just about all the way through it.

Can we please get back to the "Hap is a wonderful guy" stuff and lay off "THAT WOMAN" unless you want to start another thread.

I am sure Hap checks into this thread so can we keep it about him.....

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE..... http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/winkgrin.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/sigh.gif

Little Indian
Nov. 18, 2003, 11:24 PM
I saw the fabulous Hap ride Horales last weekend in the grand prix (see my la national thread for pictures) and WOW. what a rider. i'm not sure if it was him, (kathy...i think you were there), was he the one who pulled up his horse after a couple of knocked rails? and "that woman" (i'm assuming you're talking about the owner,because well, it's a little obvious) was super nice to me at the memorial show when I was hanging with Kathy that day. just my experiance http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Green
Nov. 19, 2003, 08:31 AM
Hap is the best. He's a very special rider. I have known him for 25 years, and have never seen anyone who can do what he can with horses. There will never be another Hap. He's also a great person, a very good man. I hope someone brings several Grand Prix horses to him, it would be nice to see that again. He alway's used to have several in the Grand Prix. I wish him the very best, alway's..

Justice
Nov. 19, 2003, 09:14 AM
I don't think it was Hap... my memory is he had an awesome round with one rail.

nnz
Nov. 19, 2003, 09:50 AM
Does anyone know anything about a stallion he used to ride named Zadoc? He is related to my horse, and I can't find anything about him except he is by Nimmidor and Hap used to ride him.

jules
Nov. 19, 2003, 11:41 AM
Finnegan
Ditto. You are not the only one who feels that way. Hap is going to have some great opportunities coming up in the near future now that he has cut his ties.

mucky
Nov. 19, 2003, 03:10 PM
Hey,Hap is really a super person,rider,friend and I hope some great horses come his way in his new venture.The east coast wishes it had a Hap Hansen. Good Luck !!

beachpony
Nov. 19, 2003, 03:16 PM
I was one of “the lucky ones” that had the privilege of riding with Hap for many, many years. He is the same patient, kind, sweetheart of a person I first met 30 years ago when he started his business, that he is today. His success never got to his head. He’s magic on the horses not only because of his amazing talent, but also because the horses know that there is someone extra special on their back that they can truly trust. Hap is just the best! I wish him the best of luck! He deserves it!

Green
Nov. 19, 2003, 04:02 PM
Ask Hap about Zadoc, he'll give you the information......he's very nice to talk to. I know who used to own the horse, but I don't think I can just post that info here.

lib
Nov. 19, 2003, 05:08 PM
I work for Hap and in the grand prix at L.A. National Horalas had 1 unlucky rail. The owner of Horalas is the nicest lady. And very supportive of Hap. Horalas tied for 8th place. As for Zadoc he is now retired to stud in Germany or Holland. And yes again that is his breeding. I also took care of him. He was a great horse. With a great big white tail.

Jinx
Nov. 19, 2003, 05:28 PM
i have seen hap at some shows and well he has always struck me as one of the nicest people out there...ive never had the pleasure of meeting him but like most GP riders i watch from afar...but hearing all the great things it lightens my heart to think that there still are great people left in our sport...people in it for the love of horses and the thrill of compition...an inspiration to all us younger adults to remember to be happy and helpful to everyone we should meet!

Sometimes I feel like running around naked...but then I drink some Windex and it keeps me from streaking

Finnegan
Nov. 19, 2003, 07:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lib:
The owner of Horalas is the nicest lady. And very supportive of Hap. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does Diane Rushing own Horalas?

~Bev

-----------------------
Finnegans Wake
16.1hh
bay

Finnegan
Nov. 19, 2003, 07:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Little Indian:
Iand "that woman" (i'm assuming you're talking about the owner,because well, it's a little obvious) was super nice to me at the memorial show when I was hanging with Kathy that day. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I just did my own research and if I am not mistaken, Diane Rushing IS the owner of Horalas. With that being the case, That Woman was not a reference to Diane Rushing, so I guess it wasn't that obvious. I have no idea who Diane Rushing and never made any mention to the owner of Horalas.

~Bev

-----------------------
Finnegans Wake
16.1hh
bay

TQ
Nov. 19, 2003, 07:38 PM
Yes, Diane owns Horales. Nice, nice lady. She imported him and is very proud of him and loves having him with Hap.
She previously owned a nice grey horse that went to the World Cup Finals with Hap. I can't remember that horse's name at the moment but LIB will remember. We all had a great time on that World Cup trip.
I just remembered the grey horse's name...it was Thadeus.
Welcome to BB LIB.

Little Indian
Nov. 19, 2003, 07:52 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Finnegan:

ith that being the case, That Woman was not a reference to Diane Rushing, so I guess it wasn't _that_ obvious.

/QUOTE]
yes it was, because that is not who i am talking about http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif i know either she or somebody from RMW posted on the breeding forum... just a heads up

sss
Nov. 19, 2003, 08:58 PM
Hey, lib, I think I met you this past week at the Chinese dinner! You guys were cracking us up!

Keep us informed here about your adventures, OK? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

sylvan farm
Nov. 19, 2003, 11:46 PM
As someone from the Northwest, I wanted to say that Hap is one of the most professional horseman I have worked with in 20+ years of breeding horses. It is hard to send a horse 2000 miles away from home. Hap, Phillip, Marcy and Lisa are/were the best team ever. I received one or more phone calls during each horse show (good news or bad) with details of the week. Wow, was that refreshing, and I never worried about care.

I would send another young horse to Hap in a heartbeat.

I wish him the best of luck in his new venture.

Judy

Bentley
Nov. 20, 2003, 12:10 AM
I used to time my morning hacks on Bentley at Spruce Meadows to coincide with when Hap was schooling one of his. Even though we were at a horse show he did tons of flatwork and I learned so much just watching him hack around. Probably caused a few accidents because I was too busy watching him to pay attention to Bentley http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

*sigh* if I could just have 1/100th of his talent I would be a happy girl http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/winkgrin.gif.

I remember another time when they were stabled beside us at Spruce - must've been a while ago because he had Amerika 7 and, um I want to say Pikadero but I'm not 100% sure. Gorgeous bay stallion, some white I think and the most incredible manners I've ever seen in a stud. He didn't care if Amerika was waving her (very pretty) tail in his face, he was there to jump fences only http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif (Portia, does that sound like him?). Hap always always asked how I was doing (that year I was grooming for another rider, not riding there) How I wish I hadn't been so shy then and had done more than blushed, said a few stuttered words and ran away http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/lol.gif. He probably wouldn't know me from a hole in the ground, but it did my heart good to at least be greeted so nicely each time http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. Just proves that he is probably that darn nice to everyone http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif

Just another warm and fuzzy story to add to the growing number of Hap fans. If I had the money and wasn't half a world away now I'd train with him in a heartbeat http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Alixe

nnz
Nov. 20, 2003, 06:54 AM
Lib,
I sent you a PT.

Portia
Nov. 20, 2003, 07:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bentley:
I remember another time when they were stabled beside us at Spruce - must've been a while ago because he had Amerika 7 and, um I want to say Pikadero but I'm not 100% sure. Gorgeous bay stallion, some white I think and the most incredible manners I've ever seen in a stud. He didn't care if Amerika was waving her (very pretty) tail in his face, he was there to jump fences only http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif (Portia, does that sound like him?).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep, from everything I've ever heard about Pik, that sounds like him. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I know when they retired him to stud full-time, he was worked on a regular basis by a young teen. Portia's got that "I'm here to jump" attitude also. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

PonyJumperGRL
Nov. 20, 2003, 07:41 PM
The Pikadero babies are awesome. We have a four or five year old at our barn out of him who just started jumping and she's incredible to watch- plus she (who is a very tiny mare) has a HUGE canter. She's going to be a great jumper someday.

Amanda
"Freedom is nothing but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

Mardi
Nov. 20, 2003, 10:24 PM
Just curious...I've heard (and seen) that the Pikadero offspring are talented yet small. When choosing a jumper, what would be the minimum desirable size ? 16 hands ? Less ?
Just wondering....

bluemoonfarms
Nov. 21, 2003, 06:50 AM
I have two Pikadero's and really love both of them. The 3 yr old Pik Sure has just been started lightly under saddle and I also have a weanling Persuasion. Both are destined for the hunter/jumper ring and Pik Sure was the AHS Young Horse Champion and USDF Reserve Champion HOY Weanlings in 2000. Persuasion scored as high as 84.4 in hand and is 4th for the USDF HOY Weanlings this year. I would breed back to Pikadero without hesitation as my boys appear to be true athletes with very correct conformation and movement with excellent minds. We have free jumped Pik Sure and he is extremely talented over the jumps. We are going slow with him but I am so anxious to see him in the show ring. Pik Sure currently stands 16 hands and will probably finish 16 .1 to 16.2.

Denise Higgins www.bluemoonfarms.net (http://www.bluemoonfarms.net)
Domestic & Imported Warmbloods

Portia
Nov. 21, 2003, 09:01 AM
Well, my Pikadero baby is not small. She's at least 16.2 and seems taller. We haven't put a stick on her since she finally stopped growing. She's also, well, as I put it on the SBH forum, "if not a tank, at least an armored personnel carrier." http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif I don't have any photos of her standing around, but here's one of her jumping and I think you can see her size.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Who figures an immigrant's going to have a pony? ... Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense... am I wrong?" Jerry Seinfeld http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Portia
Nov. 21, 2003, 09:02 AM
Mmm. OK wrong photo for showing her size. Try this one

Portia
Nov. 21, 2003, 09:04 AM
And (last one, I promise http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ) this is her and me. I'm 5'5".

MHM
Nov. 21, 2003, 09:54 AM
Nice pics! She does look big and solid... and athletic! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Dakotawyatt
Nov. 21, 2003, 10:44 AM
Portia, are those pics of you riding her? Nice! You're very lucky, she's a beautiful mare.

~Jenny~

"The daughter who won't lift a finger in the house is the same child who cycles madly off in the pouring rain to spend all morning mucking out a stable." (Samantha Armstrong)

Portia
Nov. 21, 2003, 10:53 AM
Thanks, but nope, that's my trainer Jo Hancock riding her. I ride her at home, but leave the big stuff at shows to Jo. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Jo is 5'8", and you can see she fits her well.

Horsaholic
Nov. 21, 2003, 10:59 AM
Portia can I have her!! http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif
I am drooling, she is absolutely beautiful and looks like she could jump the moon!!
I like her cool forelock too!!

Chef Jade
Nov. 22, 2003, 08:25 PM
Wow, Portia! Gorgeous!!!

Come and visit the horses at: http://www.crosscreek.tk

Bentley
Nov. 23, 2003, 02:48 AM
Portia, wow! I forgot how gorgeous she is http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif

And I think it was Pik then, it was about the right time. He was such a gentleman http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Alixe
*current member of the Portia fan club* http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Pikadero
Dec. 8, 2003, 06:00 PM
I decided to clear up a few misconceptions their are going around the community regarding Hap and myself.
1: we have been partnered for 12 wonderful years. It has ended on the best of terms...and simply because we are going into different directions. That easy.
2. Hap has been my only trainer in the jumper arenas, including Phillip and Marcy while at Hap Hansen Stables @ the RRC.
3. Those of you who know Hap, know it is impossible to replace him, so it would be foolish of me to try.
4. Hap has done his job! Too well in this case perhaps: He has been wonderful, professional, with style, enthusiasm and extreme patience and lots of love. AND
5. Hap has given me the confidence and education needed in order for me to be , for lack of a better word, self sufficient.

To quell all rumours: we are still the best of friends, we own a lovely, talented young horse in partnership, he is still at RMW until he decides otherwise. He will always be a part of my life that is very special and dear to me
and I recommend that if you have the chance to ride with him, to take it. When I started with Hap I was a dressage rider who had not jumped an x before.

and to Kathy H....Thank you!

Mary Shirley

khobstetter
Dec. 8, 2003, 06:03 PM
You know what Mary....

YOU ARE A CLASS ACT !!!!!!

http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/winkgrin.gif

Little Indian
Dec. 8, 2003, 06:35 PM
Mary...
this is not at all relivent to the thread but here (http://community.webshots.com/photo/103926167/103926756YYOaas) is a picture I took of RMW Lorenz at Memorial this past May. I have others if you'd like to see. just e-mail me at the e-mail in my profile.

Hali
http://community.webshots.com/user/littleindian94
Triton (Gralshüter x Gomessa)
Brindaro (Banbury Errol x Mendul)
Viper Too (Blushing Bug x Surely Humble)

khobstetter
Dec. 8, 2003, 06:36 PM
Mary..."THAT WOMAN"... http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/winkgrin.gif

Little Indian was at the Memorial Day show with me and said helo to you and your son when we were talking...she just sent me a wonderful picture of Lorenz!!!

I asked her to post it here for you..its pretty cute...

By the way she thought you were very friendly andnice too!!

eqnjumperrider
Dec. 8, 2003, 07:08 PM
Mary- I sent you a PT..

Pikadero
Dec. 8, 2003, 09:06 PM
Hali,

I LOVE the shot and will definitely email you regarding it and others.
Its nice to see photos of horses that can depict why each horse is special and unique!!!
and Kathy,
I am laughing. thank you.

Have a wonderful Christmas and New Year!!
Mary Shirley

Tomboy
Dec. 8, 2003, 09:36 PM
Its nice to see a topic not bashing people into the ground. Ive only seen Hap ride from afar and from what ive seen, i would kill (not litterally..) to ride 1/100 as well as he does. And from what everyone has posted he seems like a down to earth guy, refreshing for a sport that can have its people with their heads in the clouds.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud member of the Teen Clique

“Life is not about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.” –unknown

suzykayjackson
Dec. 9, 2003, 07:55 PM
Hi, I am new here and am writing b/c there seems to be a case of mistaken identity....I am NOT Suzeee, the one who started this topic and I feel horrible if Mary or anyone else thought that I was/am. I must say this is my first and last post here and to anyone who was confused...now the record is straight. Thanks!

Suzeee
Dec. 9, 2003, 09:42 PM
Well, I don't think I did anything wrong either! I just started this topic because I admire Hap and wanted to know what his plans are after parting ways with RMW. I never said anything bad about anybody, just wanted some info, that's all.

Horsaholic
Dec. 10, 2003, 06:17 AM
Suzy & Suzee, I don't see where there was a problem at all with either of your posts?? I think everything is fine.. Nothing negative said by you at all..

Suzy Kay Jackson, don't leave.. Give the Coth a chance? We met on the phone a few years ago when I was inquiring about your training in Temecula.. You sound like a lovely person and it would be nice to have you here!

khobstetter
Dec. 10, 2003, 08:28 AM
suzykayjackson....!!!

HELLO HELLO HELLO....how are you there girl!! http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/winkgrin.gif

Don't be too quick to leave this place..it's actually quite alot of fun..at times!!

Linda Allan, Alan Balch and a WHOLE lot of other folks have found this site. and post...it's GOOD to have a bunch of quality, knowledge Trainers, riders, managers etc here....

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many people on this board are wonderful, fun young horsepersons (and a few old ones http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif) who have questions that are legimate..they would love answers, opinions and input from GREAT folks like you.

Don't be too quick to leave...PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stay and give back a bit to these guys with rousing, sometimes testy conversation..

http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/winkgrin.gif

larosa90
Dec. 18, 2003, 02:43 PM
In the Xmas COTH edition Hap is advertising that he is now accepting new clients.

What I am writing about is ...

For those of you who might be wondering what all the hullabaloo about him is, look at the picture in the ad on the left -- the grey horse (I don't own a scanner or I would post it!). It is an absolutely dreamy picture of perfect equitation and well, the beauty of our sport. It is exactly the image I have in my head from when I watched him ride in the 1980s. Oh, to be a rider like Hap... http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif

Absolutely
Dec. 19, 2003, 12:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pikadero:
I decided to clear up a few misconceptions their are going around the community regarding Hap and myself.
1: we have been partnered for 12 wonderful years. It has ended on the best of terms...and simply because we are going into different directions. That easy.
2. Hap has been my only trainer in the jumper arenas, including Phillip and Marcy while at Hap Hansen Stables @ the RRC.
3. Those of you who know Hap, know it is impossible to replace him, so it would be foolish of me to try.
4. Hap has done his job! Too well in this case perhaps: He has been wonderful, professional, with style, enthusiasm and extreme patience and lots of love. AND
5. Hap has given me the confidence and education needed in order for me to be , for lack of a better word, self sufficient.

To quell all rumours: we are still the best of friends, we own a lovely, talented young horse in partnership, he is still at RMW until he decides otherwise. He will always be a part of my life that is very special and dear to me
and I recommend that if you have the chance to ride with him, to take it. When I started with Hap I was a dressage rider who had not jumped an x before.

and to Kathy H....Thank you!

Mary Shirley<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Since Mary decided to go public and straighten out people's misconceptions - I assume that she cares what people think, which is a surprise. Perhaps in Mary's version of the world what she wrote was true. For the rest of us, she treated Hap disgracefully; bad mouthed him, discredited his ability to teach or ride, terminated him and worse. She gave him until the end of the month to leave.
They are hardly the best of friends. They did not part on the best of terms, in fact most people would refuse to speak to her - but there is the goodness of Hap. Now, worried about bad press she is trying to be his "friend" calling him up and chatting ... guess what, he's not buying it. No one else is either.

Absolutely
Dec. 19, 2003, 01:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Finnegan:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kestrel:
Well, I guess I'm the only one to have a bad experience. I'll chalk it up to a rare occurance since everyone else has come out o.k. dealing with them, but I won't do business with them again.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was the bad experience with "them" while Hap was at RMW? If so, I've heard other things too. Not so much about Hap, but That Woman there (who shall remain nameless as I'm sure someone on this board will be her best friend or mother or something!) But That Woman really is on her high horse. I don't know if she just felt special because she had Hap riding/working for her, but he can do so much better than her. That Woman was so incredibly rude, and in particular to someone I know very well. So perhaps he was not always at his happiest (?) while there. So yay for Hap freeing himself from unncecessary burdens and here's to many more years of being a wonderful role-model and continually teaching us all something.

~Bev

-----------------------
Finnegans Wake
16.1hh
bay<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif

Bravo to youfor being the only person to bring up "That Woman" what are people afraid of?

Absolutely
Dec. 19, 2003, 01:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by khobstetter:
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO this wonderful thread about Hap has turned into an attack of "THAT WOMAN"...

"THAT WOMAN" has a name and has been a great friend to alot of people out there..including Hap!!!!

I thought this thread was soooooooooo refreshing and nice since it's one of the few that was positive just about all the way through it.

Can we please get back to the "Hap is a wonderful guy" stuff and lay off "THAT WOMAN" unless you want to start another thread.

I am sure Hap checks into this thread so can we keep it about him.....

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE..... http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/winkgrin.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/sigh.gif

http://www.go-sho.org<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that what you think this is: all that "Hap is a wonderful guy" stuff!! It appears that you are among the few who believe otherwise.

khobstetter
Dec. 19, 2003, 08:41 AM
WOW OH WOW !!!!

And out of the wood work and into the daylight rides "ABSOLUTEY" A SCREEN "NAME" OF SOMEONE WHO HAS JOINED US FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE OF TRASHING HAP!!!!

Wow, what a treat!! But PLEASE do not add me to your nasty list here by making totally incorrect assumptions about my posts and that of others...

You came on here and have posted 3 times..all of them on the Hap thread and ALL of them pretty obviously hateful!!!

And your reference to me..allow me to answer..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Is that what you think this is: all that "Hap is a wonderful guy" stuff!! It appears that you are among the few who believe otherwise. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep that's exactly what I think...and here are the REAL statictics about this thread!!

Page 1...20 posts..ALL GOOD
Page 2...19 posts..18 GOOD - 1 by Kestral is questionable
page 3...19 posts..18 GOOD - 1 by Fennegan referring to GOSSIP she heard
page 4...20 posts..18 GOOD - 1 neg from Kestral again and 1 from mareone
page 5 ..20 posts..ALL GOOD
AND PAGE 6...9 POSTS..6 GOOD AND THEN ALONG COMES ABSOLUTELY !!

So......... the final tally so far (and I'm sure Absolutely will makae it a mission to change these numbers).....

101 GOOD POSTS ABOUT HAP AND COMPANY
7 "BAD...3 FROM ABSOLUTELY (HER FIRST 3 SO FAR), 2 from Kestral, and 1 from mareone...

Yep Absolutely I sure do think "HAP IS A WONDERFUL GUY"..AND SO DOES JUST ABOUT EVERYONE ELSE..

I for one believe this is a troll who wishes to cast disparaging remarks about a GREAT horseman!

I for one think IF her comments had any teeth at all SHE WOULD NOT BE AFRAID TO POST HER NAME (AS I HAVE) SO WE CAN TAKE HER SEROIUSLY.. at the very least give us a good profile so we can email you and know EXACTLY who you are before you cast these stones.

If you accomplish IN YOUR LIFETIME WHAT HAP ACCOMPLISHES IN A WEEK...you will be pretty special too. Why don't you start a thread about yourself and let's see the stats on that... http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif

MHM
Dec. 19, 2003, 08:48 AM
KHobstetter, remind me not to diss any friend of yours! You go, girl!

http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

woudn'tYOUliketoknow?
Dec. 19, 2003, 09:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MHM:
KHobstetter, remind me not to diss any friend of yours! You go, girl!

http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm confused- Yes, Absolutely is way out of line...way out of line...but she wasn't trying to jump all over Hap- I think she was saying Hap was a great person...she just dislikes the other woman, that's all...

Trotter
Dec. 19, 2003, 09:49 AM
Great posts about Hap - always thought highly of him, though didn't know him personally.
I once interviewed with his father at his place up on I15 - Rancho California, Rancho Mirage? can't remember; they wanted someone to work their babies up there; tried out and his Dad said I rode just like Hap; I was offered the job in fact, but at the time it was just too far away to consider. Now wish I had.=8(

eqnjumperrider
Dec. 19, 2003, 11:45 AM
Uhm, I think I am missing something here. Absolutely was saying how great Hap is, not how bad he is.

khobstetter
Dec. 19, 2003, 11:46 AM
Sorry you guys to get so agravated at Absolutely.. Absolutely's comment to ME was about this thread and that I must be "among the few who believe otherwise" as it relates to "Hap is a wonderful guy"...that was her post and I stand beside my post in response...

It's just not a very good reason to turn a really nice thread into a bash.

We so rarely get a really nice thread about someone and with Hap just starting his "new" venture..it would be nice if we could have a continued nice thread about Hap!!

The comment that
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Is that what you think this is: all that "Hap is a wonderful guy" stuff!! It appears that you are among the few who believe otherwise. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
seems aimed at my opinion of Hap and I don't stand back kindly to that. The post is wrong about "It appears that you are among the few who believe otherwise." I think most of the world that knows him thinks he is pretty OK!!

If they want to start a "That Woman" thread and bash her, then do so and we can debate there...but PLEASE, let's leave Hap out of it.

That's all. sorry for coming across irratated..I WAS!!!

Risey27
Dec. 19, 2003, 06:35 PM
Hey Hap will be riding some horses at indio for my trainer and I can't wait to see the blue ribbons coming in because I know he will probably do a fabulous job and just CLEAN UP http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif He is so soft with all the horses (even on that fighter pilot horse ( I think thats the horses name...gray GP horse he did a fabulous job and that horse looks HARD!

Party Rose
Dec. 20, 2003, 09:01 AM
http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Risey27........Thanks for changing the mood of this thread.

Please, now lets get back into the spirit of what this thread was intended. It was so very refreshing.

TQ
Dec. 20, 2003, 09:10 PM
Hap can ride any kind of horse and make it look easy and make the horse enjoy the ride and WIN! Hap has ridden a variety of horses for us from the hottest most difficult conformation hunter...Hap made him jump well and look soft and easy....numerous grand prix horses that Hap made into champions and won major events and end of the year titles, pre-green horses that didn't have a clue before Hap rode them. Hap has ridden my young stallion to win in the jumpers and in the regular working hunters and regular conformation hunters. The horses all love Hap and will do anything for him. Everyone who knows Hap loves him and will do anything for him. He brings out the best in people the same as he does with the horses. Hap can also train riders to be better than their best expectations and make it fun in the process. I wish my barn was big enough to house all of Hap's business...it isn't but we are lucky enough to be near enough to Hap to benefit from his rides and his friendship and advice.

radio talk Aefvue Farms RCA
Dec. 21, 2003, 06:54 AM
Had the pleasure of watching Hap ride a five gaited stake class at the old Garden. He was incredible. Believe the horse was owned by William Shatner. To watch someone so masterfully switch to gaited, well he really is an accomplished horsemen. He then went back to doing the jumpers later that day..And one of the nicest people. Not self serving, takes time to talk to his fans. He really enjoys what he does..What a good ambasador for the sport.

Absolutely
Jan. 7, 2004, 04:05 PM
You are obviously lacking the basic skills of the English language. I am an absolute fan of Hap Hansen's. If you accurately read what I wrote you would realize that I was a. letting the light of truth shine on how disgracefully Mary treated Hap, b. commending the person who raised the issue of "That Woman" and c. letting you know that you trivialized how good Hap actually is by referring to his well wishers words as that "stuff."
I have no idea who you are, I am certainly not a troll. If you are a fan of Hap's, I am happy to hear it. But don't let your desire to malign me, or perhaps anyone who questions Mary's version of the truth, cloud your ability, however limited, to read and comprehend.

Absolutely
Jan. 7, 2004, 04:09 PM
At last, a person who can actually read. Thank you - yes I am a fan of Hap's and yes I was trying to apprise the readers that what Mary wrote is absolutely incorrect. And no, I do not think this was way out of line - please explain what you mean.

Absolutely
Jan. 7, 2004, 04:24 PM
Yes and thank you. I do believe how great Hap is and I find it intolerable when someone treats him badly.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by eqnjumperrider:
Uhm, I think I am missing something here. Absolutely was saying how great Hap is, not how bad he is.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely
Jan. 7, 2004, 04:29 PM
khobstetter, I don't know who you are, but I think we are both of the same opinion. Hap is a great rider and a great guy. You must have misunderstood what I was saying, or I misunderstood you. No I don't want to turn this into a bashing thread but Mary decided to use this thread as a place to paint her ___ with sunshine, and after she treated Hap so badly, I just couldn't let it go.

Sorry you guys to get so agravated at Absolutely.. Absolutely's comment to ME was about this thread and that I must be "among the few who believe otherwise" as it relates to "Hap is a wonderful guy"...that was her post and I stand beside my post in response...

It's just not a very good reason to turn a really nice thread into a bash.

We so rarely get a really nice thread about someone and with Hap just starting his "new" venture..it would be nice if we could have a continued nice thread about Hap!!

The comment that
seems aimed at my opinion of Hap and I don't stand back kindly to that. The post is wrong about "It appears that you are among the few who believe otherwise." I think most of the world that knows him thinks he is pretty OK!!

If they want to start a "That Woman" thread and bash her, then do so and we can debate there...but PLEASE, let's leave Hap out of it.

That's all. sorry for coming across irratated..I WAS!!!

http://www.go-sho.org<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Libalo
Jan. 7, 2004, 07:52 PM
I was a student of Hap's in 91/92. Hap went out of his way to help me and I'll never forget his kindness.

He's not only a great rider (the horses love him) but also a great teacher. The detail he teaches when jumping and doing flat work at home make all the difference in the show ring.

He always let me walk the grand prix courses with him (even Spruce Meadows). He usually had 4 to ride so I found it amazing that he would let me walk with him and take the time to explain his strategy.

I believe he is at Heather Fogerty's place now off of Via de Santa Fe. Nice grass paddocks and new footing in the ring.

khobstetter
Jan. 8, 2004, 02:46 AM
Absolutely...glad to hear you think as highly of Hap as I do...BUT I cannot completely agree with that..your posts here have shown ANYTHING but respect for Hap.

If your point was "Mary" you could have started another thread and we could have disputed the point all day long...''

My issue with your posts is that this thread was about Hap and great comments about him...and along came a bunch of posts to negatively completely take it off topic...

Go have your pissin match with "Mary" (I will debate THAT point with you also http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif) but I for one would love to see THIS THREAD stay a wonderful tribute to one of the GREAT riders of our times.

PLEASE don't trash it up anymore with whatever your issue is...just go do another topic....I'll meet you there http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Too bad that people who now read this thread about Hap have to watch your dirty laundry hang on the line..

Just PLEASE let this get back to the "Hap is super" line...

Thanks, THAT is my opinion... http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif