View Full Version : Where to find? re: reins

Oct. 13, 2011, 12:00 PM
I have a pair of reins that are plaited, similar to leather plaited reins, but they are made of 1/8-3/16" (?) yacht or parachute braid, synthetic cord, instead of leather. They're a bit bulky, which I like as I have large hands, but have a wonderful feel between the hand and the bit that I can't duplicate with leather reins. I don't recall where I originally got them, I think I found them in some out-of-the-way tack shop. I would *love* to find another pair. Has anyone seen such or know where I might look to find them?

Oct. 13, 2011, 03:56 PM
Yep, google barrel racing reins http://www.tackstop.com/reinstsxt.htm

It will be a challenge to find them in any real length, but many retailers that sell them work directly with the craftsman that makes them and you might be able to get a custom length.

Oct. 13, 2011, 05:01 PM
Check out http://www.sunsethalters.com. Karen might be able to hook you up.

Oct. 13, 2011, 06:08 PM

Oct. 14, 2011, 10:29 AM
Here we have a local saddle repair guy who will do custom reins and you might like essentialy a cotton breaking rein with leather ends.

Since I have RA I use rope reins as holding regular reins is painful for me. My DH made me mine, they aren't fancy but they work. The current set I have is nylon since the feed store didn't have cotton rope in bulk. I am hoping to get the cotton ones eventually as I think they will have a better feel and be softer.

You can also find longer rope reins in a variety of styles at places that cater to endurance riders and they are usually available in better lengths than barel racing or western gaming reins.

Oct. 14, 2011, 11:54 AM
My sister in law actually makes these - PM me and I'll see if she's still doing it. They are made of waxed parachute cord and very cool! I used to use them as they were non-slip and could be made in any length, and with the snap on either end, too, so you could unhook them to lead the horse. One thing I missed about barrel racing, and I never thought to use them for dressage.

Oct. 14, 2011, 02:04 PM
Mine have regular hook-studs sewn into them at the end. They are like the "gymkhana" reins on ebay at http://www.ebay.com/itm/ENGLISH-LEATHER-PLAITED-NYLON-GYMKHANA-REINS-RED-/150661677418

Except mine are black. So at least there exists a source ...