PDA

View Full Version : Full seat breeches that have sufficient coverage on the knees

Gloria
Oct. 12, 2011, 10:56 AM
All the fullseat breeches threads remind me to ask the collective wisdom of COTH...

Currently I have a few pairs of Ariat fullseat breeches that though I love, don't have sufficient coverage on the knees areas, and are causing searious rubb on the bony region of my inner knees due to the stiches that happen right there :(.

I need something that have the leather (?) go all the way up to the top of the knees, instead of to the middle of it...

Any idea? Thanks a bunch.

Velvet
Oct. 12, 2011, 11:00 AM
I have this same problem all the time! Long thighs make them end too soon and rib your knees apart (inside the boot rubs are the worst where it's right at that edge).

Kerrits (of all crazy things) seem to fit longer down the leg with the fake leather (love my old real leather ones :sigh: ). (Just never buy their liner pants that they sell for winter, etc. For some reason THOSE are short and the elastic cuts you off at the knee. It's funny since the breeches have patches that go longer and you'd think they were thinking of long thighed people. Guess not when it comes to the liners!)

I also found ONE style of Ariat that worked well, but it no longer exisits.

Kentucky's have always been down the entire leg to the ankle. I have some older pairs that have lasted me forever. Real leather, too. (Love the Mexico City style: https://shop.horsemensoutlet.biz/istar.asp?a=6&id=MEXCITY243!PREM )

Gloria
Oct. 12, 2011, 11:13 AM
Ah Velvet, that sounds painful, but my problem is not the leather ends too soon (I am short:lol:) but it does not come up high enough (toward the front of the knees)... All my breeches have the top edge of the leather cut right at the middle of my inner knee and that is where the rub comes from.

My trainer has Pikeurs and hers cover her whole inner knees. I guess I could try them but I'm kind of hesitate to splurge that kind of $$$... Or maybe I will, if I'm desperate enough:no: Right now I have to patch myself up using moleskine...

Velvet
Oct. 12, 2011, 11:15 AM
Ah Velvet, that sounds painful, but my problem is not the leather ends too soon (I am short:lol:) but it does not come up high enough (toward the front of the knees)... All my breeches have the top edge of the leather cut right at the middle of my inner knee and that is where the rub comes from.

Oops! I misunderstood. :D Guess my own reading comprehension skills are not super sharp today. ;)

Petstorejunkie
Oct. 12, 2011, 11:37 AM
I have your same problem. I swear breeches manufactures must think we all ride like freaking ducks! Why the heck do we need sticky leather behind our knees, I mean seriously! :no:

I LOVE my kerrits, but what I have to do is twist them at the ankle and rotate the fabric around before I put my boots on.
My tuff rider breeches have the leaterette crap that comes right to the inside edge of my knee cap, which is perfect but their seat material pills up with wear.
pikeurs lagunas have great knee coverage but I don't like how they constrict my butt cheeks (another pet peeve of mine... gotta spread out over the saddle!)

Horsepower
Oct. 12, 2011, 11:56 AM
Try F.I.T.S. They're expensive but worth it.

Lusoluv
Oct. 12, 2011, 05:29 PM
Riding Right full seats (Dover has them) are pretty good for a less expensive breech. Some of the Dublin brands have good coverage too. Unless you have a great shop nearby, you just gotta order a bunch a try them on at home. Usually you can tell which ones will work. I also think SmartPak has a deal now where anything you order which is sized (helmets, breeches, boots, etc.) they will pay for return shipping if you don't like it and tags are intact, etc.

Good luck...I feel your pain as I rode in an old pair of breeches I forgot I had. I am also sporting moleskin!

Leprechaun
Oct. 12, 2011, 05:33 PM
I LOVE them. They are extremely expensive but I only use the dark colors at home, have one perfectly white pr. and a back-up that are from a few years ago.

paintlady
Oct. 12, 2011, 05:37 PM
I love FITS breeches too. I've gotten mine off eBay.

Gloria
Oct. 13, 2011, 11:47 AM
Wow I didn't know so many folks love FITS. Do they have good coverage on the knee?

out west
Oct. 13, 2011, 11:51 AM
FITS have great coverage, and the way the seams are constructed they don't rub! I have had holes from Pikeurs, they have good coverage but the seam crosses the kneecap on me.

esdressage
Oct. 13, 2011, 12:00 PM
Can you just rotate the legs of the breeches a little as they go down, so they just sit differently on your legs with the leather higher up towards your knees? I don't know if that makes sense, hopefully it does. I adjust my breeches as I put them on so the seams sit more where I want.

horsefaerie
Oct. 13, 2011, 12:14 PM
I am not a FITS fan but know many who are.

I have worn Goodfellows for many years and they have great coverage with real leather. Wear like iron etc.

Depending on the cut of the breech it can cause a rub due TO THE CUT only. It has with me.

A gorgeous lilac pair of cord Pikeurs, years ago, drove me crazy. The cut caused them to pull from below the knee and cause a rub. I would have been better with a tall in that breech.

Gloria
Oct. 13, 2011, 12:43 PM
Just picked up one pair of FITS from ebay - cross fingers. Those monkey butts look really weird and that was why I never gave them much thoughts, but, hell, all full seat breeches look weird anyway. At least they aren't red lol. :cool:

Some of you have suggested to rotate the breeches so the coverage is more or less at the correct place. I will give it a try. Hopefully they will stay that way. Or maybe I will get them to seamstress to see what she can do about it. Since I lost some weight, they have been too large, but in too good a condition to just throw away, and I can't afford three new $$$ pairs:(

Are Goodfellows a German brand? Are they even in US?

ShannonLee
Oct. 13, 2011, 12:52 PM
I know exactly what the problem is, I have it too! Pikeurs never rub there on me.......I get good deals on Pikeurs at www.calevo.de - if you know your size and model type.

paintlady
Oct. 13, 2011, 01:03 PM
Just picked up one pair of FITS from ebay - cross fingers. Those monkey butts look really weird and that was why I never gave them much thoughts, but, hell, all full seat breeches look weird anyway. At least they aren't red lol. :cool:

You'll appreciate the monkey butt once you wear them. Regular full seats now feel like huge diapers to me after wearing FITS. :lol:

Gloria
Oct. 14, 2011, 02:18 PM
Monkey butt or diaper butt - we miserable DQs are doomed in fashion runway lol:D

atr
Oct. 14, 2011, 03:59 PM
The absolute worse for this for me are Ovations. They seem to have deliberately placed the seams exactly in the wrong place both around the knee and in the crotch area--saving that extra 1/2" of leather that would have given a bit more forward coverage must have been really worthwhile, I'm sure...

And no, I don't have an enormous bum.

I like Pikeurs and Eurostars, and Gersemmis the best--of course. Champagne taste, shame about the budget. Cut by someone who atually rides a horse. The Dover Riding Sport ones aren't bad from a seam placement POV, but the full seat material takes a bit of breaking in. But they are good value for money.

Petstorejunkie
Oct. 14, 2011, 04:45 PM
Those monkey butts look really weird and that was why I never gave them much thoughts

as long as you stay in the saddle and stay with the horse no on will ever know you are secretly a monkey butt. :cool:

Gloria
Oct. 14, 2011, 05:09 PM
LOL. Easier said than done though... Wait, maybe, if I had sported a monkey butt a few weeks ago, it would have given me greater incentive to remain in my saddle, instead of having to pick myself up from the hard ground in the middle of a who-knows-how-many-miles-of-open-field only to gaze after my pony's happy butt galloping into the horizon? And all this time I thought I'd jinxed myself by bragging to my friends that my pony was too lazy to do anything to dump me. grrr.

Tiffani B
Oct. 14, 2011, 05:19 PM
I like the Equissentials breeches (http://www.blueribbondiva.com/equissentials_s/93.htm). Super comfy and the leather is very soft.