PDA

View Full Version : Need feedback on Mohair Girths...Can you Comment?

HollysHobbies
Oct. 12, 2011, 11:13 AM
How stable are Mohair girths (in terms of stability to the saddle)? Any problems with the Mohair girths? Benefits?

I have a girthy mare who needs a girth that provides stability.

She's been quite girthy (and saddle very unstable) in the wintec girth and sheepskin nylon girths.
She's less girthy and the saddle is far more stable in a leather girth (a Childeric), but it's old and cracked and she's now outgrown it. The girth is quite wide and contoured and very pricey and only comes 26", so I'm considering a mohair girth.

Any feedback appreciated.

BaroquePony
Oct. 12, 2011, 11:17 AM
Mohair is a very old traditional type of girth. It has a lot of sticking power without being itchy. They are soft and add stabilty to your saddle due to their stickiness (just the threads being spun from hair, then you have hair on hair, sort of like velcro except very soft and natural).

Saskatoonian
Oct. 12, 2011, 02:01 PM
used to use them all the time and loved them. The only down side is that they shrink. They do stretch back out, but if you don't have a little extra length, the first post-wash use can be a little tricky, esp with a girthy horse. I used them on all sorts, from fat ponies to TBs and had no trouble with stabilty.

There are different kinds of mohair though. The white ones I used had very thick strands and were the best. I ordered a black one (it was for a bay horse), though, and the strands were thinner. Still worked fine, but it seemed less cushy.

What I hated were the synthetic string girths - they were slick!! Bet they wash better - didn't use them enough to know!

Blkarab
Oct. 12, 2011, 02:10 PM
Love, love, love my mohair girths! They are the best! I have a very girthy mare also, and it's about the only thing she can tolerate. There isn't a bunch of bulk under her leg, and she seems as comfortable as she can get in it. I wish they were a bit easier to find. I need an odd size for mine (34 and 36" and they are nearly impossible to find).

The best part...they are cheap!

bkkone
Oct. 12, 2011, 02:27 PM
Mohair girths are the best!

I don't love how they look but my mare can't take my expensive Hennig girth without getting rubs.

Carol O
Oct. 12, 2011, 02:41 PM
I used to use them, and I liked them. I don't think I've seen them available for qyuite a while. Where are you getting yours?

duecavalle
Oct. 12, 2011, 04:24 PM
I use to use a mohair girth on my old mare and I loved it. Never had a problem with rubbing and it kept the saddle as stable as a saddle can be on a horse shaped like a tootsie roll! Just make sure you're using 100% mohair as the synthetics can rub and pinch.

Right now I'm using a Tixerant dressage girth (http://www.123tack.com/mikmar-ventral-ergonomic-dressage-girth-by-eric-le-tixerant.html)on my gelding (also very round) and it keeps the saddle quite stable and he seems to like it a lot. It did not keep the saddle from sliding forward when the saddle wasn't properly fit to him though -- of course no girth will help if an ill-fitting saddle is the cause for the instability. The Tixerant is pricey but I've seen them for dirt cheap in the Dover basement (of course only after I bought one full price)!

@ Carol O: Action Rider Tack (http://www.actionridertack.com/c-236-dressage-girths.aspx)carries mohair girths in all shapes and sizes. They stock mostly endurance gear but have a good selection of dressage girths.

hope that helps!

esdressage
Oct. 12, 2011, 04:56 PM
I used a mohair girth for awhile for my very girth-sensitive mare and the wide ones really are stable. They are nice, but low and behold, it did rub my mare. The only thing I've found that works to keep her from rubbing (after going so far as to spend HUNDREDS on the mattes sheepskin girth, which rubbed her, I guess because I was afraid to wash it daily) is to use a wintec girth with a simple girth sock over it, and I just wash the girth sock after every single use. They're so cheap that I just bought several and pile them up after each use, then throw them in the wash together. If you have a shaped girth that you know fits and gives you the stability you like, you may consider just getting a girth sock and using it over the top.

duecavalle - I love Action Rider Tack. The people there are really nice to work with, too.

enyo44
Oct. 12, 2011, 05:43 PM
I have a mare who gets girth sores with both leather and synthetic girths. The only girth that works for her is the Mohair girth. I got mine from Moss Rock Endurance. They even had the girth custom made for me because the leather backing on the buckle area was too wide for my mare.

HollysHobbies
Oct. 13, 2011, 01:09 PM
She doesn't have rubs, but saddle stability has been a problem in the synthetic (wintec, thoroughgood, sheepskin/cotton combo). The saddle is much more stable in the wide leather childeric girth. (she has no withers and a table flat back...there's a photo of her if you click my link) I'm mostly concerned about how stable the mohair girths are...

Thanks for all input

Holly

SillyHorse
Oct. 13, 2011, 02:22 PM
I used to use them, and I liked them. I don't think I've seen them available for qyuite a while. Where are you getting yours?
I love this company.
http://store.artcords.com/categories.aspx?Keyword=dressage

buck22
Oct. 13, 2011, 03:51 PM
I have a mare who gets girth sores with both leather and synthetic girths. The only girth that works for her is the Mohair girth. I got mine from Moss Rock Endurance. They even had the girth custom made for me because the leather backing on the buckle area was too wide for my mare.

I've had my moss rock endurance girth for nearly 5 years now and it was by far my horse's favorite when we were still riding. He's retired due to a back injury from previous owner. Before discovering his back issue, I did quickly learn he would tolerate no rolling or rocking of a saddle at all on his back. He is built like a 50gal oil drum, so this sent me looking for the most stabilizing girth possible. He also is extremely thin skinned and galls if you even mention the word synthetic.

I used to rope and game on my first horse, also a four legged sausage, and the only girth that would keep my saddle in place was a wide pure mohair 'roping style' girth, the wide diamond shape in the middle for maximum footprint and pressure distribution. I quickly discovered that roping style shape performed wonderfully on the round ones, so I set out to find a dressage girth that was similar.

I was delighted when I discovered Moss Rock Endurance makes a short girth in the exact same diamond style as my roping girths.

http://www.mossrockendurance.com/view_product.asp?category_ID=9&prod_ID=353

pricey, but I simply adore this girth. Absolutely eliminated saddle shift. I liked it so much I had Moss Rock custom make long one, with intentions to use it with my side saddles.

And, now that I'm driving, I'm strongly considering asking Moss Rock to custom make one for my harness.

Its one of the best performing pieces of tack I've ever owned.

Carol O
Oct. 13, 2011, 09:25 PM
OMG, I just found mohair girths on that WalMart of the Web, Amazon.com.

No, Velvet, I am not advertising for Amazon.

didgery
Oct. 13, 2011, 09:35 PM
And, now that I'm driving, I'm strongly considering asking Moss Rock to custom make one for my harness.

Its one of the best performing pieces of tack I've ever owned.

Are you me???

I am planning to ask Moss Rock to make me a driving girth, too! Fenway has tender skin and a pear-shaped figure (which encourages girth slippage towards the armpits). My shaped short mohair girth from Moss Rock is a MIRACLE cure.

pony baloney
Oct. 13, 2011, 10:10 PM
I had one years ago but sold it on consignment. The mohair was fine, but I didn't like that there was nothing underneath the buckles on mine. The metal buckle tongue loops seemed uncomfortable, being directly against his body. Since it was a short dressage girth, it had nothing to buffer these from the skin. Do they come with something behind the buckles?

Oh, I really liked it because it was a small size. My little arab uses an 18" Wintec, which I found once on clearance--I've never seen a girth that small since.

didgery
Oct. 13, 2011, 11:45 PM
The Moss Rock girth I use has a wide, soft neoprene guard that's shaped so as not to slip. It's very nice and non-irritating.

Halt Near X
Oct. 14, 2011, 12:04 AM
Hijacking slightly -- can anyone tell me if the mohair girths will help forward slipping as well as provide lateral stability?

I ask because my mare has a very laid-back shoulder and forward girth groove. When the saddle is far enough back to clear the shoulderblade, the girth is behind the girth groove. It slips forward into the girth groove while riding, which pulls the saddle forward onto her shoulder blades.

I like the idea of a mohair girth for other reasons, so if they might also help with this problem, I may go ahead and give one a try. (No need to further hijack this thread by providing examples of other girth options that might work -- although I'd welcome PMs -- I'm just wondering if mohair in particular might work. Thanks!)

didgery
Oct. 14, 2011, 12:48 AM
My mule has a big barrel and small girth groove, so I use a combination of shaped mohair girth and crupper.

graustarkian
Oct. 14, 2011, 05:18 AM
My mule has a big barrel and small girth groove, so I use a combination of shaped mohair girth and crupper.

SHAPED mohair? HOLD ME! LOL Can you share a link to where you have gotten a shaped mohair girth? Right now I'm riding in my close contact saddle with the cheapie shaped Camelot girth I scrounged and found worked with my mare's forward-placed girth groove. I am about to order an Ovation comfort girth for my dressage saddle, but would LOVE to try a shaped mohair girth, too. My mare is schooling 3rd/4th level and I'm planning to FINALLY show her second level this winter - it has taken me EONS to find a wide enough saddle to fit her and another half a century to discover "ergonomic", shaped girths that don't gall her. Would LOVE to give shaped mohair a try, since I had such good luck with the good ol' fashioned ones when I was a teenager.

buck22
Oct. 14, 2011, 09:49 AM
I had one years ago but sold it on consignment. The mohair was fine, but I didn't like that there was nothing underneath the buckles on mine. The metal buckle tongue loops seemed uncomfortable, being directly against his body. Since it was a short dressage girth, it had nothing to buffer these from the skin. Do they come with something behind the buckles?

Oh, I really liked it because it was a small size. My little arab uses an 18" Wintec, which I found once on clearance--I've never seen a girth that small since.

This one here has a backer for the buckles, http://www.mossrockendurance.com/view_product.asp?category_ID=9&prod_ID=353, its double layered too, neoprene on the human side, leather on the horse side. Ive found it to be very durable and soft, the rounded edges fold in slightly and guard against any pinching.

Moss Rock will custom make any length to my knowledge.

Didgery, I am so glad I'm not the only one! I love my harness but over the years my ultra sensitive Morgan has taught me volumes about careful tack choices and fit. I've learned so much I want to bring over to the driving world now.

buck22
Oct. 14, 2011, 09:49 AM
SHAPED mohair? HOLD ME! LOL Can you share a link to where you have gotten a shaped mohair girth?

:(:( I guess I'm too wordy and people skip my posts :lol:

buck22
Oct. 14, 2011, 09:51 AM
Hijacking slightly -- can anyone tell me if the mohair girths will help forward slipping as well as provide lateral stability?

I ask because my mare has a very laid-back shoulder and forward girth groove. When the saddle is far enough back to clear the shoulderblade, the girth is behind the girth groove. It slips forward into the girth groove while riding, which pulls the saddle forward onto her shoulder blades.

I like the idea of a mohair girth for other reasons, so if they might also help with this problem, I may go ahead and give one a try. (No need to further hijack this thread by providing examples of other girth options that might work -- although I'd welcome PMs -- I'm just wondering if mohair in particular might work. Thanks!)
Yes it will help with this problem, but another thing to consider is if the billets on your saddle are hung in the best place, and if not if you can have them moved. It can be very simple and cheap to have billets moved on some saddles, and that will save you a lot of aggravation.

didgery
Oct. 14, 2011, 12:29 PM
SHAPED mohair? HOLD ME! LOL Can you share a link to where you have gotten a shaped mohair girth?

The girth in Buck22's link above is the exact same one I use. It's the only thing that's ever worked for my big-barreled, thin-skinned, pear-shaped mule.

graustarkian
Oct. 14, 2011, 01:53 PM
:(:( I guess I'm too wordy and people skip my posts :lol:

LOL There was no mention of it being shaped - just a tome and a half about the lovely buckles :winkgrin: (totally teasing you there)

Mucho thankso for the link!

didgery
Oct. 14, 2011, 02:24 PM
I'm always pinching pennies and I don't often splurge. I usually end up with cheap, crappy stuff because I don't have the patience or the means to go for the item I really want. This Moss Rock girth and my used saddle were probably the only tack purchases I've ever made in my life where the money seemed 100% well-spent and I didn't have a single second's doubt or regret. Yes, I'm on a tight budget, but I'd pay $300 for this girth if I had to do it over.

Auventera Two
Oct. 14, 2011, 04:16 PM
I only use Mohair and Alpaca girths. I have a total of 4 and love them all!!! Soft, stable, easily washable, comfortable, light weight, breathable....what's not to love!

JLR1
Oct. 17, 2011, 12:09 AM
Montana Cincha makes really nice mohair girths, and in the color black which is what I wanted.

http://catalog.windridertack.com/viewProduct.cfm?item_id=733653