PDA

View Full Version : Can someone compare? Vega, Deep Seat Amerigo, Schleese Jane Savoie, Prestige 2000D

ake987
Oct. 11, 2011, 10:01 PM
Looking at all in a 17" M - I am 5'3" on a good day and 110lbs with a loooong torso, normal-ish femur, and noooooooooo calf! :lol: The saddle fitter is sending me these four and she will be here next week.

If it helps, I'm an eventer and I currently have an Amerigo monoflap CC, ...17 1/2" (would prefer 17") M. It fits both of us pretty nicely. I don't sit in it and say "OMG!", but I feel balanced and secure.

It is very hard to be effective in a jumping saddle with your lower leg when it hardly passes the middle of your horse's barrel - I am hoping the dressage saddle will allow me to work on my correctness on the flat in a more classical position and help with using my leg and seat aids more effectively.

She didn't mention if any of them were short flaps - all I know about them is what I have posted and I was wondering if anyone had ridden in all 4 and compare. Thank you very much! :)

alto
Oct. 12, 2011, 09:33 AM
Well unless you are tiny, I'd try some 17 1/2 saddles, especially in the deeper seats, also ask the fitter to measure the flaps as it sounds like a short flap option will fit you better (if the fitter has no short flap options, then collect at least 1 on your own to bring in).

ake987
Oct. 12, 2011, 02:36 PM
Well unless you are tiny, I'd try some 17 1/2 saddles, especially in the deeper seats, also ask the fitter to measure the flaps as it sounds like a short flap option will fit you better (if the fitter has no short flap options, then collect at least 1 on your own to bring in).

Thanks alto! I am pretty small, but I don't look teensy on a horse because of my tall upper body. Whenever I meet someone for the first time and they see me sitting down prior to standing, they always comment "Wow - I thought you were a lot taller!" :lol: Nope..

This is my Amerigo CC jumping saddle (http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/315064_688738470600_17904736_35308580_331215895_n. jpg) that is 17.5", and I have a little over a hands width from my bum to the cantle. I really wanted a 17" jumping saddle, but in my budget I had to make some compromises, and the saddle fitting my horse properly is more important to me, personally. I have been riding long enough that I can compensate for little areas a saddle might not be perfect for ME, but I cannot fix a saddle that does not fit my horse's back. :)

I rode in my friend's Albion SLK Ultima (17.5", felt like I was sliding around) that has a short flap and it is at the barn and we have permission to throw that on my gelding for the fitter to look at us both in. I wasn't crazy about it. Not the flap length (that was great!), just the saddle in general. However, I did ride my friend's horse in it, and not my own - first time riding a big-moving, fancy WB when I'm used to my big, but not fancy-moving OTTB. I also am not used to riding in a dressage saddle, so I will need to rely heavily on the fitter and my trainer to guide me through identifying which saddle is best for both of us.

Anyone care to comment on things I should be looking for in terms of how the saddle should "feel"? Or if anyone can point me in the direction of some good resources. Thanks again! :D

PS - For the record, I do not ride my horse daily in a gag (actually - he doesn't go in a gag at all, anymore) - that was a jump school day. His flat bit is a loose ring with a copper bean. Only threw that in there because it had been commented on before.

Po-Po
Oct. 12, 2011, 04:51 PM
While I can't compare the ones you list, I do have the Amerigo Deep Dressage and love it. It is the most comfortable dressage saddle that I have ridden in, and the balance that I find in it is refreshing....a pleasure to ride in.

Good luck in your search. :)

3s
Oct. 12, 2011, 05:11 PM
I would check out the Schleese youtube channel - there are a number of good videos concerning saddle fit, and how both you should feel and what to watch out for as far as your horse is concerned!

ake987
Oct. 12, 2011, 09:52 PM
Thanks Po! I rode in the non-deep dressage.. umm.. shallow? Hah. And did not care for it - but I think that is because it was A) 17.5" B) I prefer a deeper seat.. but I do love my Amerigo jumping saddle, so I'm really looking forward to trying the Deep Dressage. Hopefully I can find one used because my fitter only has them new. :)

3s - I have watched a few, thank you! Great resource. I am secretly rooting for the Schleese because I absolutely fell in love when I rode in my trainer's (Wave, I believe.. and actually, I think it was 18", but for some reason I LOVED it!). ;)

alto
Oct. 12, 2011, 10:06 PM
Coming from a H/J background you'll likely prefer a more "open seat" or more "forward" balance on a dressage saddle, also look for "close contact", "short flap".
You would be able to custom order a short flap, but given this is meant as a secondary saddle, save yourself some money by shopping used; just don't compromise on the fit too much or you'll end up hating it.
A very deep saddle with massive blocks might "lock you in" to a position, but you may also find this very uncomfortable - a proper position takes time & practise to develop.
If you look at older saddles, you'll find more without the ultra deep seats & massive blocks.

Some saddles I like:

Spirig Caprice (http://www.fine-used-saddles.com/catalog.htm?Iit=1161&Ict=2) - nice short flap, doesn't have huge blocks, seat looks pretty open

Amerigo Alto (http://www.fine-used-saddles.com/catalog.htm?Iit=1173&Ict=2) - flap will likely be too long but close contact style & only a med deep seat

Compare these with the deep seat in this saddle (http://www.fine-used-saddles.com/catalog.htm?Iit=1156&Ict=2) which is also a 17. Schleese offers a more adjustable tree than many, but this is only as useful as the rep that services your area (or not).

The Debbie McDonald (http://www.fine-used-saddles.com/catalog.htm?Iit=1105&Ict=2) would be worth trying as it's designed for a shorter rider.

For resale, a 17 1/2 saddle will usually reach a wider audience but the short flap will limit the group, so you might do just as well with the 17 ...
Depending on the saddle manufacturer & seat depth, you may find a 17 is too large, is too small, is just right :lol:
Try to find a saddle that you can ride in for a week rather than just an hour.

Lovely horse btw!