PDA

View Full Version : pilates dvd

colorfan
Oct. 10, 2011, 07:58 PM
Has anyone tried the
Pilates for Riders by Lindsay Wilcox or

Rider Fitness: Body and Brain, by Eckart Meyners or

Pilates for the Dressage Rider dvd's?

I am looking for a winter workout routine.

TheHorseProblem
Oct. 10, 2011, 11:31 PM
This is the one I use, although it is not dressage-specific.

Link to Amazon: http://tinyurl.com/3raynad

I highly recommend going to some classes or better, having a few private sessions to learn the routines. If you aren't doing them correctly it's not as effective.

Tonkafriend
Oct. 11, 2011, 12:39 PM
I get together with a riding friend for pilates once a week. Our barn started a program with an instructor, which really got me hooked. The results are so noticable! When the classes were over, we kept going. This is one we really like, mostly because we can customize the workouts, and each one is only 10 minutes.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000S1MM84

Karosel
Oct. 11, 2011, 01:17 PM
I have the pilates for riders book by Lisa Wilcox. I think it's great.

Eclectic Horseman
Oct. 11, 2011, 09:34 PM
I use the Pilates for Dressage Riders dvd. It has a good 17 minute workout, broken down with instruction and then in real time. It also has a fairly decent explanation of how the muscles that you are working in the video relate to riding. I don't think it is enough to get you fit--but it is good for teaching the basic concepts and how they relate to dressage.

AnaHorseMegaMarket
Oct. 12, 2011, 10:50 AM
Pilates is soooo good for Dressage Riders! It really strengthens the core and stretches the body for that nice posture. I feel so much better after it too, better then after a massage. It stretches me out and supples all my tight muscles, also really promotes body awareness. I go for classes at my local gym, love it!

TheHorseProblem
Oct. 12, 2011, 12:01 PM
Pilates is very nuanced. It's not jumping jacks. You can hurt yourself easily if you aren't strong enough to do the movements they way they are depicted in the videos. Either that, or you will be wasting your time doing them incorrectly.

Take some group classes to learn the exercises, or get some help from a private instructor. The sessions are pricey but worth it.

There are so many levels of difficulty. I found out I was doing some of the exercises in a more advanced mode and could have really hurt my back.

The Classical Pilates DVD I use is not instructional. It just demonstrates a routine. The whole workout takes 20 minutes (I do the intermediate level) but is very rigorous, and only works for me because I already know the proper way to do the exercises.