PDA

View Full Version : If you could pick the clinic topic...

Reddfox
Oct. 10, 2011, 10:06 AM
Just what the title suggests - for those of you that are amateur dressage riders (any level) - if you could pick a clinic topic for a pro to talk through and do a ridden or in-hand demonstration about, what would you pick?

carolprudm
Oct. 10, 2011, 10:29 AM
I would love a demo on boots and bandages, both pros and cons and techniques.
I can't be the only one who trembles at the thought of wrapping a leg.

leilatigress
Oct. 10, 2011, 10:32 AM
Transitions! Also the extended trot would be nice, the whole process of actually getting the extended trot and again transitioning back from it.

MyssMyst
Oct. 10, 2011, 10:46 AM
Ground work. I am fascinated with work on the long lines and short reins. I want to know how to get the most out of my horse on the ground.

xQHDQ
Oct. 10, 2011, 07:54 PM
Position. Position. Position.

colorfan
Oct. 10, 2011, 08:05 PM
I second long lines, it is so good to teach basic maneuvers on the ground before the saddle.
Imagine being able to teach upper level movements.

kinnip
Oct. 10, 2011, 08:17 PM
In hand work, either on long reins or in the Iberian style.

Carol O
Oct. 10, 2011, 08:38 PM
The Training Scale and how it is used everyday in riding.

Reddfox
Oct. 10, 2011, 10:31 PM
Great ideas! I must admit that I do have an ulterior motive for the question. My friend and sometimes trainer has decided to do a clinic series that is geared towards auditors that would include demonstrations. She was picking my brain about what is relevant to amateurs like myself and I was kind of at a loss beyond the topics she and I discussed.

She is already planning on covering flying changes start to finish, longing/in-hand work, lateral work, pirouettes, starting half steps and how to develop collection as separate topics. Since she has a barn full of horses that are just being started to Grand Prix and every step in between, she is planning on doing ridden demonstrations on horses as well as the regular clinic type lessons. I felt that SOME of the topics, while inspiring, may be considered to be too geared towards other pros or very serious amateurs and that maybe she should look to some topics that people come across in daily rides.

She and I talked about a position clinic so that people could see cause and effect of position and how it affects the horse as well as a clinic demonstration that is devoted to transitions and one that is devoted to the half-halt. The other thing that we talked about is a demonstration devoted to long and low work and best practices for the long/low exercises.

I'm excited, it should be fun and she'll actively encourage auditor participation and Q&A. So, if there are any other ideas, keep 'em coming!

paulaedwina
Oct. 10, 2011, 10:40 PM
I like the in-hand stuff but I would have said a clinic about seat and position (go figure). So if your friend does one of those anywhere near me I'm so going to be there if I can.

Paula

Reddfox
Oct. 10, 2011, 10:49 PM
Paula, as soon as I get dates to go with the topics, I'll let you know. If it's position you're after- she's a great one to go to! You get that in EVERY lesson no matter what. I'll be in touch!

frisky
Oct. 10, 2011, 11:06 PM
Getting and improving the horse off the leg. Different degrees of. Exercises.

Lateral work through the levels. How they work/function to improve the horse's balance.

And, yes, position.

cadance
Oct. 11, 2011, 05:16 PM
Transitions! Also the extended trot would be nice, the whole process of actually getting the extended trot and again transitioning back from it.

I was thinking the same thing, also, I think a lot of riders could benefit from learning the PURPOSE of lateral work and what its trying to achieve, as opposed to "performing a trick".

fjording
Oct. 11, 2011, 09:49 PM
I'd love a clinic on selecting a prospect! I love hearing from other people what they look for, especially what the pros look for. I really envy those who can see a shaggy, muddy sack of bones and see a future upper level horse!
I love it when they bring in very basic horses and can explain the horses pros and cons and what he is good at what he struggles with and how you train him based on his flaws and strengths. And not a clinic on 30k 3 year olds, some non typical dressage horses. Horses that the general public can afford to purchase and are able to ride cause there aren't many people with the huge budgets for the over 15K youngsters and even fewer who are capable of riding them!

Ldbgcoleman
Oct. 12, 2011, 07:56 AM
I would love a clinic on riding to music and putting together a lower level freestyle on a budget. Riding a freestyle is one of my goals and why not at first level?

BetterOffRed
Oct. 12, 2011, 10:53 AM
Cross training your dressage horse- galloping, small jumps and gymnastics, even going through water.

CFFarm
Oct. 12, 2011, 12:03 PM
I would love a demo on boots and bandages, both pros and cons and techniques.
I can't be the only one who trembles at the thought of wrapping a leg.

Funny, I thought about offering clinics like this for 4H clubs and the like. Everything from bandaging, poulticing, sweating, etc. but someone told me it would be practicing Vet Medicine without a license. Now if I could get my Vet to join me.......

AllWeatherGal
Oct. 12, 2011, 03:30 PM
The topic I see quite often on here that would really benefit from in-person discussion and demonstration is fitting -- saddles and bits.

It would be interesting to put the same saddle on different horses and explain how to evaluate for the same horse (too high here which means it's too tight ... not wide enough there ... bla bla) and the same saddle on a variety of horses. And the same with bits. Show different horses and explain why the bits were chosen... anomalies, individual issues and so on.

And, of course, principles and strategies of choosing music and movements for low-level freestyles.

I personally think that a position clinic is best taught with the learners on horseback. If it's a small group and there are a couple of reliable lunging horses, an interactive session where the group all provides input and receives learning as each one sits would be very interesting.