PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy browband blanks?

SnicklefritzG
Oct. 9, 2011, 10:22 AM
With all the talk of "bling" browbands, I'm thinking of making one myself. Does anyone know where to get dressage style browband "blanks" that you can put your own crystals or beads in?

Equibrit
Oct. 9, 2011, 10:35 AM
Get a piece of leather and sew loops in the ends.

back in the saddle
Oct. 9, 2011, 10:50 AM
Get a piece of leather and sew loops in the ends.

The ones made overseas aren't much better than that. lol

Try flyingchangedesigns.com I just bought one from here and it is very nice.

AllWeatherGal
Oct. 9, 2011, 11:08 AM
At least one vendor lists them on eBay.

Maude
Oct. 9, 2011, 11:15 AM
Jerry's sells the blank browbands so you can make your own. Excellent quality leather and made in the USA. Don't have their website address but if you google them you'll find it. I have a custom bridle from them (oversize headstall, horse drop noseband and cob cheeks. Each one can be made to order at no extra charge. Lovely leather and workmanship!

Velvet
Oct. 9, 2011, 01:20 PM
Jerry's Harness Shop (http://jerrysharnessshop.com). He sells the blanks (awesome leather and padded) with the holes prepunched through the channel in the middle so all you have to do is string them up like a bracelet or necklace and then sew it down (he also provides the thread to sew them on).

I've made a bunch for myself and friends using his blanks. They are wonderful leather. Super soft and top quality. I wouldn't suggest them if you were trying to make a business out of it, but if you want to make a professional looking beaded/blinged browband, his are the easiest to work with. What I love is that you can get more of the thread/test line to sew it down and then redo it later if you decide to put it on a different horse and want to change out the colors. :D

Tiligsmom
Oct. 9, 2011, 02:04 PM
callansaddlery.com

LarkspurCO
Oct. 9, 2011, 02:08 PM
I bought a blank from Jerry and it is very, very nice (didn't come with thread). With all of those tiny holes front to back, how do you attach the strand? Do you do a separate knot for each hole, or do you use one continuous strand of thread and one knot at each end?

Velvet
Oct. 9, 2011, 03:37 PM
I bought a blank from Jerry and it is very, very nice (didn't come with thread). With all of those tiny holes front to back, how do you attach the strand? Do you do a separate knot for each hole, or do you use one continuous strand of thread and one knot at each end?

String it like you would a bracelet. I use nylon coated stainless steel at .015 in (or .38 mm). I use a crimp bead at each end and leave a very tiny loop. Then I start with drawing the thread (I'm shocked you didn't get any. The thread should been wrapped around a small piece of leather in the bag with your browband). I've spoken to Jerry and what he actually sends as "thread" is fishing line. Funny, huh? Works GREAT. It's washable, wears wonderfully and stays forever but can be pulled out if you want to start over again some day. He uses Power Pro 10 Lb Test (you can get it at Walmart--I did when I wanted to redo a browband).

I'll use a normal needle and tie a knot that's thick enough to not pull through, but also small enough that it gets pulled up snug against the padded lining on the inside. Go from the back to the front through the second to the last hole. Go through the small loop near the crimp bead and then push the needle back down through the end hole and pull the loop down and then come back up again through the second hole. This really secures the beginning and also works on the end.

Then I just stitch up and down through the holes that line up between the beads going over the beading wire. You can go up and down through the same hole as long as you go over the wire and pull it snug. Always work back to front when you stitch. I've tried a couple other ways of doing it, but this way works best. Looks perfect and people can't generally tell what you did...until now, when I just gave away how I do it. ;)

Oh, I usually pull an extra long line of the thread/line (since I have my own now) and double it up for stitching so it's not just a single line of thread.

(I know this was more than you asked for, but now everyone who doesn't know how to even string the initial strand can hopefully figure it out and realize it's easy! :D )

LarkspurCO
Oct. 9, 2011, 11:28 PM
Thank you, Velvet, for the detailed explanation.:) I will study it carefully before I attempt to attach my strand of beads (pewter skulls with smoky gray crystals and little purple crystals. I aim to intimidate).

If Jerry included any fishing line, it's long lost in the trash by now.