PDA

View Full Version : Good low cost full seat breeches

KathyR
Oct. 8, 2011, 05:38 PM
I've recently changed from many years HJ riding to dressage. My HJ breeches are causing a rub in a very unfortunate place-I'd tell, but TMI. Needless to say, I'm rubbed raw- and using neosporin! So, I'm guessing that the crotch seam, which is thick, is causing the problem. Any suggestions with full seat that won't cause this problem?

DutchDressageQueen
Oct. 8, 2011, 06:16 PM
Pikeurs are great

Petstorejunkie
Oct. 8, 2011, 06:23 PM
Kerrits run $70-100 a pair and the breathe tight ii have no seam in the crotch. Fwiw, you need to sit up more and get out of the hunter esque pelvic position you are probably in to solve your problem.

skykingismybaby1
Oct. 8, 2011, 06:32 PM
I love my pull up Kerrits, I bought five pairs for summer wear.

TheHorseProblem
Oct. 8, 2011, 07:02 PM
Pikeurs? Low cost?:lol: Good?:yes:

I buy from Amira Equine, where they are a good $100 off retail.

Ovation Celebrity are really great looking and well-fitting, IMO.

TBROCKS
Oct. 8, 2011, 07:50 PM
For schooling, Tuffrider full seats are cheap, look decent, and wear like iron.

DutchDressageQueen
Oct. 8, 2011, 07:58 PM
Pikeurs? Low cost?:lol: Good?:yes:

I buy from Amira Equine, where they are a good $100 off retail.

Ovation Celebrity are really great looking and well-fitting, IMO.

They are not low cost, but are very nice.

ironbessflint
Oct. 8, 2011, 10:07 PM
Romfh International. Even some die hard Pikeur addicts I know are switching to these after trying them on (and realizing they feel darn near the same, at half the price) :yes:

Hampton Bay
Oct. 8, 2011, 10:12 PM
...Fwiw, you need to sit up more and get out of the hunter esque pelvic position you are probably in to solve your problem.

Ditto this, and try some undies without the seams in the crotch, maybe the special kind of riding panties or bike shorts or something.

CatPS
Oct. 8, 2011, 10:45 PM
Andiamo makes a padded panty that can be a real, um, lifesaver :cool:

You won't like Tuffriders... the full seat in their breeches don't come up very far in front, so the seam between the "leather" and the fabric is in a less than ideal location if you tend to tip forward on your pelvis.

Kerrits are quite nice, though their BreatheTight has a segmented fullseat which can be uncomfortable for some people. I absolutely adore the Irideon Cadence fullseats. Most comfortable breeches I've EVER had, and no rubbing at all. :winkgrin:

Dressage.For.Life.
Oct. 9, 2011, 09:11 AM
I second Irideon's Cadence breeches as they're fairly cheap (retail at $120) and wear very well. I just got a pair of Grand Prix breeches (It's impossible to find breeches that fit me; Even the GP's aren't exactly right). So, we'll see how they hold up as I haven't exactly seen great reviews on them (but my tack shop is going to may it right it they don't wear well). The GP's retail at $120, too, and are more "breech-like" than the Irideons.

GreyStreet
Oct. 9, 2011, 10:00 AM
I actually bought a cheap pair of white fullseat Tuffriders for showing, since I typically only show once a month at a local schooling series. They look great and I have actually found them to be really comfortable. For schooling, I do like the Irideons - one pair I have has been going strong for years with no signs of stopping, apart from a little discoloration. I will also agree with a few other posters who have noted the difference in pelvic position between hunter and dressage riding - makes a huge difference to your comfort!

TheHorseProblem
Oct. 9, 2011, 11:16 AM
FWIW, regular breeches shouldn't cause that problem. FS breeches serve the purpose of making you stick better in your saddle. If anything, they would cause the Inverness problem (look it up:D) because there's going to be friction somewhere, and if your breeches are sticking to your saddle, then the friction, if any, will be elsewhere.

You might want to check your saddle fit.

Bugs-n-Frodo
Oct. 9, 2011, 12:18 PM
Aside from the Kerrits Breath Tight breeches, what other kinds are good for avoiding the Inverness problem?

Cruiser12
Oct. 9, 2011, 12:54 PM
Fwiw, you need to sit up more and get out of the hunter esque pelvic position you are probably in to solve your problem.

THIS BIG TIME! I suffered this problem as well when I went from hunters to eventing/dressage. I'm not sure it had anything to do with my breeches, it was my seat that needed fixing! Good luck, you'll get it.

KathyR
Oct. 9, 2011, 07:36 PM
OK, went to the closest Horsetown, they only had 1 pair, in my size, of FS breeches, and they were the low rise! So, I've ordered a pair of Riding Sport from Dovers. I checked the crotch seam of my Cotton Naturals, and it is doubled over, and is about 1/2 inch sticking up, for about 3" long,-which could easily explain my rubbing problem. So, hopefully, no big sticking up thick seam will help solve my problem. Updates to follow, when i get them and ride in them.

Petstorejunkie
Oct. 9, 2011, 08:09 PM
OK, went to the closest Horsetown, oh, honey... Horsetown is NO PLACE for a DQ :no::no::no:
cruel girl jeans :yes:
blankets :yes:
some cowgirl boots :yes:
but never tack or riding apparel :no::no::no:

echodecker
Oct. 9, 2011, 09:43 PM
Yeah, you've got to try some different ones on! And Dover is the hard way to do it since their shipping is so expensive! You'll be surprised at how differently full seats fit and feel from brand to brand!

I really like the Kerrits Microcords and they are about $115, but easily found for $99. They are comfortable and the seams don't cause chafing. I have about 6 pairs of them, a couple are 4 or 5 years old and still going strong.

I also like the Irideon Cadence, which are very similar to the microcords, but about $125 retail. The fabric on them is actually heavier duty (which I like) and the seams are flatter. BUT, I have found that the full seat part wears out and pills on them really fast. Like within a few months of riding 4+ horses a day.

It probably depends on how many you are riding if the wear is a problem for you. I have a pair of the irideons for my show breeches right now and I LOVE them. But they only get worn for tests :)

Try to find a tack store near you to try them on at or order several pairs from someone with better shipping prices!

vxf111
Oct. 9, 2011, 09:48 PM
The Irideons aren't the CHEAPEST but they wear like iron and are really comfortable. So I'd say they're best bang for the buck.

Petstorejunkie
Oct. 9, 2011, 10:43 PM
And Dover is the hard way to do it since their shipping is so expensive!

She's got a local Dover store... probably a bit of a drive, but local.

(I wouldn't expect you to know that, just thought I should throw that up there. I only know because I'm from the area originally and have all the tack stores memorized)

OP, go to snooty fox and shop their used stuff. I used to score decent breeches there (just with horse booger stains) for really great prices.

up-at-5
Oct. 10, 2011, 09:53 AM
Watch for 40% off sales on the Topical Rider website! Lovely breeches, and cheap when you get the discounts.

cadance
Oct. 11, 2011, 01:57 AM
i love my $80-$90 dover Riding Sport full seats...
http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-35234&ids=361090828

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-35421&ids=361090828

Sister Margarita
Oct. 12, 2011, 06:42 AM
I have had good luck with Royal Highness from Breech Depot.
Around $80 - $100, good service, lots of style choices. They seem to last and fit me well. I haven't had rubs anywhere :cool:

wishnwell
Oct. 12, 2011, 07:33 AM
Watch for 40% off sales on the Topical Rider website! Lovely breeches, and cheap when you get the discounts.

Tropical rider? I forgot about that site! Thanks for reminding me and I was also curious to hear about the Royal Highness so it's good to hear they are an option as well.

Janet
Oct. 12, 2011, 08:28 AM
You won't like Tuffriders... the full seat in their breeches don't come up very far in front, so the seam between the "leather" and the fabric is in a less than ideal location if you tend to tip forward on your pelvis.

Maybe you got a bad pair. I have never had that problem with my TuffRider full seats, and I wear them for both dressage and jumping, so I do ride in them "tipped forward" as well as sitting up for dressage.

I owuled definitely recommend TuffRiders for both schooling and showing.

But, in reality, we are all shaped differently, and what fits one well is uncomfortable on another.

I like the summer Tropical Riders, but not the winter ones- they are lined, and the britches stick to the saddle, but I side around inside the britches.

That doesn't happen with the TuffRiders, which don't have the slippery lining.

HCF
Oct. 12, 2011, 09:25 AM
I love my Royal Highness, as well. I have them or schooling and two pairs for show (white with grey and black full seat). There is an eBay seller who sells them new for around $40!!! :eek:

AnaHorseMegaMarket
Oct. 12, 2011, 09:58 AM
Quality-wise i love Pikeurs, Golden Dress. Golden Dress realy has that amazing fit i love. Both brands run a bit pricey but are of supreme quality that will last you years. You can deffinatley find them on sale or in consignment shops aswell.
Good luck.

InWhyCee Redux
Oct. 12, 2011, 03:14 PM
I absolutely adore the Irideon Cadence fullseats. Most comfortable breeches I've EVER had, and no rubbing at all. :winkgrin:

LOVE the Irideon Cadence, with or without the full seat — VTO and/or Adams Horse Supply usually has the best price. If you have booty, as I do, they're fabulous. :yes:

atlatl
Oct. 13, 2011, 11:34 AM
Pay now or pay more later; true in breeches. I've learned to spend the money on a couple of pairs of great breeches that will last as opposed to having to replace frequently.

purplnurpl
Oct. 13, 2011, 02:30 PM
these are my favs.

they are usually in the sale catalog.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-35229&ids=892585364

I like thick and cotton feel.
these guys are great.
no need to wear spanks under them.

netg
Oct. 13, 2011, 02:43 PM
these are my favs.

they are usually in the sale catalog.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-35229&ids=892585364

I like thick and cotton feel.
these guys are great.
no need to wear spanks under them.

I loooove my Riding Sports, too. Though I am short so go for low waists... which reach my waist easily. :)

TickleFight
Oct. 13, 2011, 02:48 PM
Like it or not, it is worth your money to save and invest in a high quality pair of riding pants. My recommendations are Kentucky, Golden Dress, and Good Fellow. If you want to save some money (and don't mind wearing used items) then you might consider shopping on ebay.

Any one of these brands will last you a decade or more with proper care.

belgianWBLuver
Oct. 13, 2011, 03:26 PM
I've ridden Dressage for decades and have had this problem with lots of brands even the pricy ones - BTW - sometimes it has nothing to do with the way you sit although that is the first thing to look at and correct. - Sometimes it has to do with how you are built down there (sorry don't know any other way to say it :lol: )
OK my solution - I sit in a saddle that holds me in and I love the full seat breetch so as a previous poster said I purchase the Romph - its the best in the crotch seam area. For Breetches I already owned - I simply cut out a diamond shaped area running from the bottom of the zipper to where the full seat starts - approx 3" long and 2"wide. Then I sew in a swatch of very similar fabric and problem solved forever....
any seamstress can do this if you do not sew.

EaglesWings
Oct. 13, 2011, 03:48 PM
Someone gave me a pair of Kentucky full seats a while back. The first time I wore them I thought I'd died and gone to heaven - I had no idea they were as costly as they are....:eek: (Though I am something of a tightwad and typically wear Riding Sport)

I'm leaning toward the Irideon Cadence for my next pair of full seats. I have the knee patch from my hunter/jumper days and aside from discoloration they are still as good as they were six years ago.

Jazzy's mom
Oct. 13, 2011, 11:30 PM
I've ridden the snot out of my On Course cotton naturals full seats. Never had any rubbing issues and they have held up for years of everyday riding. I think that you just need to try some on and see what works best for you.

rothmpp
Oct. 14, 2011, 12:05 AM
I rode in Irideons for years, they wear like iron in general, but I don't like how quickly they pilled on the thigh, and once they've worn in a bit, tend to give me a bit of CT.

I am a recent Romfh convert. Have just gotten a couple pairs early this summer and loff them so far. Seem to wear well and wash up great.

I have one pair of Kerrits in white that sit in my closet and get brought out only for the last day of a show, and then only
if it's a long show. The seam at the knee rubs me raw in a day. Blisters raw. Only full seats I've ever had this problem with.

vxf111
Oct. 14, 2011, 12:17 PM
I don't know that I agree that you HAVE to spend a lot to get quality. I have had 2 pairs of Irideons for upwards of 10 years, worn frequently. I would like to replace them but the darn things won't wear out! I do agree that the patches pill a bit, but they don't wear out/through and the pilling doesn't bother me. A lot of my breeches have that happen.

vxf111
Oct. 14, 2011, 12:18 PM
I've ridden the snot out of my On Course cotton naturals full seats. Never had any rubbing issues and they have held up for years of everyday riding. I think that you just need to try some on and see what works best for you.

One of my show pairs are OC Cotton Naturals. I like these a lot. The VTO Style seem 99% identical and are even cheaper, if you can believe that!

ridealot
Oct. 14, 2011, 12:43 PM
Iridion full seat breeches are the best and I think they look high quality. They wash well and the seat is well stitched. I think you can pick up a pair for about $100 or less.

KathyR
Oct. 14, 2011, 05:45 PM
OK, got my first pair of FS breeches from Dover today-the Riding Sports, and will wear them tomorrow for my lesson. Hopefully, with no seam sticking up, they will take care of the rubbing problem. Will fill you all in info after riding.

EmptyPocketFarm
Oct. 14, 2011, 06:24 PM
I sell HORKA (from the Netherlands) have GOOD prices on some nice full seats. ($100-180, regularly $200-280) I can email inventory if you are interested.

Epf@Brid-OVR.com

Jayne

Bugs-n-Frodo
Oct. 20, 2011, 02:49 PM
I just have to check back in after trying some Kerrits Microcord breeches. They were given to me by a friend (Thanks Lisa) and I LOVE them. I have ridden in them twice now and have no complaints. I think I am addicted.

BetterOffRed
Oct. 20, 2011, 05:06 PM
oh, honey... Horsetown is NO PLACE for a DQ :no::no::no:

:lol::lol: I've never EVEN been to a Horsetown, and I love this quote!!:lol::lol:

Petstorejunkie
Oct. 20, 2011, 10:59 PM
:lol::lol: I've never EVEN been to a Horsetown, and I love this quote!!:lol::lol:

It's an experience www.horsetown.com There really is nothing quite like 70,000sq ft of western boots and taxidermy animals. How my mother survived working there for 4 years I will never know.