PDA

View Full Version : Hulsebos Saddles

Callaway
Oct. 8, 2011, 06:21 PM
What are your thoughts/ experiences with them?

Pcostx
Oct. 8, 2011, 10:20 PM
I have one and I LOVE it! I tried what felt like a million Dressage saddles and NONE of them fit my mare. They ALL slid up on her shoulders, practically all the way to her neck. I was at my wit's end. I'd wasted TONS in shipping fees, even after sending tracings, photos, etc. of my mare, nothing worked.

Two trainers at the barn I board at (one I ride with, one I don't) suggested I try a Hulsebos.

Jan and Tilsa Hulsebos were coming to the barn so I brought my mare out to be fitted. The first saddle I didn't like the feel of, the second saddle was PERFECT and it didn't slide up my mares neck!

I dismounted, Jan took the saddle, added a little flocking here and there, put it back on my mare, I rode her some more while he and my trainer watched, and it was heavenly!

My mare loves her Hulsebos, I love my Hulsebos and the customer service is awesome. Jan and Tilsa come twice a year and check your saddle to refit as necessary.

I give Hulsebos saddles two enthusiastic thumbs up!:D

Pcostx
Oct. 8, 2011, 10:22 PM
I forgot to add, the refitting/reflocking sessions are FREE!

honeydoozy
Oct. 9, 2011, 04:17 AM
I have one. In fact, I have one *for sale*. ;)

I bought mine years ago, because my trainer swore by them, and everyone in the barn was getting them. I didn't know any better, and didn't really shop around. Jan came out and evaluated us, then combined two different models to make one "custom" for us. Then I waited 7 months for it to arrive.

It's a nice saddle, but in a lot of ways it wasn't doing me any favors. I ended up going with one from Custom Saddlery that I *love* like no other.

And every time someone (from Hulsebos) came out to adjust my Hulsebos saddle, it cost me $250.
Ouch.

Countrywood
Oct. 9, 2011, 09:30 AM
I rode in one briefly, at a trainer's facility...it was hard as a rock and was large all over...felt like a saddle built for a big man....of course it was an older model, but I saw one in a tacsk shop and seemed similar...only that brief experience with one.

Callaway
Oct. 9, 2011, 11:53 AM
Wow, mine is really soft. I think they make a lot of different types of saddles.

While we're on the topic, can anyone explain to me how to pronouce "Hulsebos?"

scubed
Oct. 10, 2011, 09:55 AM
I found it quite comfortable, but more saddle than I like (WB4 model).

suzy
Oct. 12, 2011, 09:07 AM
One of my boarders has a Hulsebos which is probably 4 or 5 year old. It fits her horse beautifully and is incredibly comfortable to ride in.

Alpha Mare
Oct. 13, 2011, 01:43 AM
I have 3 (2 dressage, 1 jumping) Hulsebos saddles and am very happy with them. They are custom, so what fits one horse/rider may not work for another if you are buying used.

He comes to our area 3x a year. Flocking/fitting adjustments are $250.

FWIW the original one I bought after a year of trying all types of used and 2 'new' saddle fitters for my hard to fit mare also fits some 'standard' size horses nicely and other petite riders (I am 5'4").

shadowanne
Oct. 13, 2011, 04:03 AM
I had purchased a used dressage one that I LOVED!!! But at the time I was a saddle buying newbie and didn't realize the saddle wasn't the best fit for my horse. It worked but after a while I had it reflocked for a better fit but eventually it created rubs and by then I was much more saddle savvy and decided to get a different saddle that actually suited my horse.

I did enjoy the quality and super suppleness of my Hulsebos. I didn't have any trouble selling it - and had I not needed the cash to purchase the replacement, I might have kept it.