PDA

View Full Version : CDS USDF and CDS?

Dussel
Oct. 7, 2011, 11:56 AM
Hi all,
Does the owner of a horse have to be a member of all three for me to show there horse in a dressage show?
Thanks,
Dussel

Dussel
Oct. 7, 2011, 11:59 AM
Ops I should have said USEF, USEF, CDS :)

scubed
Oct. 7, 2011, 12:06 PM
I think you mean, USEF, USDF and CDS and it depends on the show/level

dudleyc
Oct. 7, 2011, 02:40 PM
What is CDs?

scubed
Oct. 7, 2011, 03:06 PM
I am assuming California Dressage Society, but I could be wrong :lol:

Where we are, the local DCTA has some unrecognized dressage shows where I think in the past you had to be a member to enter.

I think these questions would be answered here: http://memberguide.epubxp.com/issue/32209

I am an eventer and can tell you exactly what you have to join to event, less clear on dressage, though know you have to be USDF member for USEF licensed/USDF recognized shows. Don't know if there is a level where you need USEF membership also and figure once you are at the FEI levels, horse needs a passport and you need an FEI number as well.

yaya
Oct. 7, 2011, 05:55 PM
I know the rules tend to be different in California, so I don't know what CDS requirements are, but in general, to show in a USEF-licensed show, the owner must:
1) be a member of USEF or pay a non-member fee
2) be a member of USDF or pay a non-member fee
just to get your horse in the ring. (Unless showing in Opportunity classes.)

If trying for USDF horse awards or Regional Championships, then membership requirements do apply, with specific types of memberships, and they differ depending on what you are going for.

Mardi
Oct. 7, 2011, 09:37 PM
Gotta be a member of CDS too, otherwise you pay a non-member fee.
Just like USDF and USEF (!).

lintesia
Oct. 7, 2011, 10:38 PM
Having just gone through this (did a dressage show in CA recently, but I mainly do H/J), I found that the rider needs to have USEF and CDS memberships. The CDS membership should give you the USDF coverage you need (I can't remember what it's called exactly but the CDS chapter that you join has a member number with USDF). The horse needs to have a USEF ID and a USDF ID.

It's so confusing... (and what worked for me might not work for you!)

Janet
Oct. 7, 2011, 11:32 PM
The CDS membership should give you the USDF coverage you need (I can't remember what it's called exactly but the CDS chapter that you join has a member number with USDF).
GMO membership

AllWeatherGal
Oct. 8, 2011, 07:11 AM
Typically CDS shows are "three star" which means USEF, USDF and CDS sanctioned. CDS membership does include the USDF "GMO" membership which entitles you to show without extra fees, but does not include you in year-end rankings.

You can see all the requirements for membership and registration on the entry form:
http://www.california-dressage.org/PDF_files/11ALL3_ENTRYfill.pdf

Note that your horse also has to be recorded with the USDF (I had thot the USEF, as well, but that seems to have changed since I moved).

Note also that if you're only showing once or twice in the year, you may benefit from simply paying the non-member fees for each of the organizations.

If you have questions or doubts, try to talk to the show secretary before sending in your entry. Some shows charge an extra office fee for incorrect or incomplete entries.

And ... I know this seems boring, but it's a really good idea to read the USEF dressage rules before every show for a little refresher.

atlatl
Oct. 8, 2011, 09:23 AM
While there are many tripled rated shows held by CDS chapters, there are at probably as many if not more single rated (CDS only) shows. I know the Pomona chapter does a series of 3 or 4 shows, only 1 is triple rated I think.

CDS is a great GMO in that there are many many show opportunities for all levels.

MysticOakRanch
Oct. 8, 2011, 11:18 AM
As pointed out, being a member of CDS gets you GMO membership in USDF. However, if you are trying for anything (such as USDF HOY and All Breeds, or USDF Regionals) that requires Participating Membership, you'll have to pay for that level of membership with USDF. USEF is totally separate, and membership is required if you are going to show in USDF/USEF rated shows. CDS does offer some "one star" shows which are only CDS rated, but many of the CDS shows are also USDF/USEF rated and require those membership levels. But wait, there's more:lol: If you want to show in Opportunity Classes, you don't need the membership - it essentially adds a few schooling show classes into rated shows.

Dussel
Oct. 9, 2011, 12:06 PM
Thank you to all that responded. Dussel

Sandy M
Oct. 10, 2011, 10:46 AM
Having just gone through this (did a dressage show in CA recently, but I mainly do H/J), I found that the rider needs to have USEF and CDS memberships. The CDS membership should give you the USDF coverage you need (I can't remember what it's called exactly but the CDS chapter that you join has a member number with USDF). The horse needs to have a USEF ID and a USDF ID.

It's so confusing... (and what worked for me might not work for you!)

If you only belong to USDF through CDS, then scores do not count toward USDF year-end awards. For the scores to count for USDF, you have to be a "participating" (i.e., higher dues paying) member. ;o)

Alternatively, you only need all three memberships for 3*** star shows. For CDS only shows, USEF and CDS are sufficient.