PDA

View Full Version : When your horse "gets it"

Arrows Endure
Oct. 6, 2011, 05:47 PM
I've own a six year old arab/paso cross. He has a bit of an unfortunate conformation. He's got a bit of a long back, he's ewe necked, and he ALWAYS travels inverted. I've had him since he was 4 months old, and he that is just how he goes. He's also a bit on the lazy side. Ok, he's a lot on the lazy side. :)

I rode him on Sunday, and he was HOT HOT HOT! Which is Very unusual for him. So, I put that energy to work, and we worked on serpentines, leg yeilding, a little bit of shoulder in (it's amazing what he can do while inverted), and then I put hiim on a 20 meter circle and worked on asking him to give me his back. It took about 5 minutes, and all the sudden the light bulb clicked on. Up came the back and withers, down came the head, and I got IMPULSION!!! Wow! Never have I felt this with the boy. We worked for about another 5 minutes, going both ways, and stopped. All total, I may have gotten of 2.5 circles of proper movement, but what a nice development.

I gave him Monday off, and then on tuesday, it was like I owned a different animal. In the 25 minutes I rode, I may have had 1 minute of inverted horse. The rest of the time, he spent moving his head, neck, and back around trying to find the most comfortable spot for him. I just let him cruise around and figure it out on his own. I felt like my horse had grown two inches.

Yesterday we went out on the trail, and not once did he turn into a giraffe. I always figured getting correct movement and carriage would be something that improved over time. I wasn't expecting to just click like that. What fun!

Airfern
Oct. 6, 2011, 05:53 PM
I love the ah-ha moments. Both when the horse "gets it" or I do.

netg
Oct. 6, 2011, 06:39 PM
My horse does this sort of thing. He'll be going along, improving slightly, some good days and some bad. All of a sudden he gets awkward, wiggly, head moving around, uncoordinated... about 3 days later he suddenly busts out with something new - a new lengthening ability, more impulsion, really lifting his back, half steps, whatever. Once he figures it out for himself, it's just THERE. Very cool.

Congrats on progress with your horse. :)

lovey1121
Oct. 6, 2011, 07:16 PM
Congratulations! A momentous discovery for your horse-how exciting!

cadance
Oct. 6, 2011, 07:18 PM
a day off (or multiple) can make a HUGE difference, gave my mare 10 days off this summer, came back and it was a new and improved version of her. her walk was like a totally different gait. as far as training goes, best feeling ever! feeling the horse have their "a ha!" moment is very satisfying as a rider/trainer

lovey1121
Oct. 6, 2011, 08:01 PM
a day off (or multiple) can make a HUGE difference, gave my mare 10 days off this summer, came back and it was a new and improved version of her. her walk was like a totally different gait. as far as training goes, best feeling ever! feeling the horse have their "a ha!" moment is very satisfying as a rider/trainer

Boy I do love latent learning:yes::yes::yes::yes:

luchiamae
Oct. 7, 2011, 06:22 AM
Congratulations! I love those moments :) x

Classical DQ
Oct. 7, 2011, 08:23 AM
Thanks for sharing this!!! How wonderful for HIM and for YOU!!! Enjoy!