PDA

View Full Version : thrush in this wet weather

dressagebrat
Oct. 6, 2011, 02:52 PM
I recently have been having a problem with trush and have tried several products, what do you think works best.

manentail
Oct. 7, 2011, 09:49 AM
I use bleach

dressagebrat
Oct. 7, 2011, 10:18 AM
I wasnt sure if it would do more damage , than good .

what about thrushbuster

MyssMyst
Oct. 7, 2011, 10:53 AM
You might try posting this on the horse care forums instead.

Tonkafriend
Oct. 7, 2011, 11:13 AM
When I posted a question about stopping deep sulcus thrush from coming back on the horse care forum, I got lots of great answers and advice. One of the cures was to soak the hoofs in diluted Lysol. I'm trying spraying my horse's hoofs with the Lysol in a spray bottle after a really good cleaning/scrub-out. I figure it's diluted already. Has anyone else done this, and is it a bad idea, and maybe harmful to the frog?

Paddles10
Oct. 11, 2011, 10:31 AM
I have of late been using oregano oil for thrush treatment. It seems to be quite effective at treating more than just the surface. The problem with a lot of the remedies I grew up with is that they definitely treat the thrush on the surface but they also kill the healthy tissue you are trying to promote.

Not being a real natural remedy guy I was dubious about having my horses' feet smell like an Italian deli. But it worked and oregano's 'fragrance' is better than thrush.

You can actually put a little on a piece of cotton and pack it into a crack. You apply a very small amount with an eyedropper.

Check out herb sites on the web for a source. I use Starwest. I think they are expensive and you can find cheaper with a little research.

TrinitySporthorses
Oct. 11, 2011, 02:05 PM
I swear by ThrushBuster! That deep purple can be annoying if it gets on anything besides the hoof but it works really well and doesn't require many follow up treatments.

Isabeau Z Solace
Oct. 11, 2011, 02:16 PM
Dry Cow/Tomorrow

Bogey2
Oct. 11, 2011, 07:08 PM
I use "sugardine" a mix of betadine and sugar, soak a cotton ball in it. I also used a cow product like Isabeau mentioned.

Lieslot
Oct. 11, 2011, 07:12 PM
I'll second the thrushbuster, has always worked for me.

DutchDressageQueen
Oct. 11, 2011, 08:24 PM
I swear by ThrushBuster! That deep purple can be annoying if it gets on anything besides the hoof but it works really well and doesn't require many follow up treatments.

:yes:

it is just a pain when you spill it all over yourself :lol: lol

ridealot
Oct. 14, 2011, 12:44 PM
I use Thrush Buster and put it all over the sole. I also have used a product called "the sauce" which is a sugardine product from equilite. It is expensive but works wonders. Hope this helps.

esdressage
Oct. 14, 2011, 02:18 PM
Koppertox is the absolute best. I used to live in wet and rainy Oregon and my mare was out in the pasture all day, and it got very muddy in the winter! Koppertox kept her feet perfect.

The trick is to use one of the hoof picks with the stiff brush on one side, and pick then use the brush vigorously to get out every last bit of debris. Then, hold the hoof up and drip the koppertox everywhere, including really well all around the frog. Then, use the brush on the hoofpick again to "scrub" the koppertox into every nook and cranny of the hoof. Hold it up for another little while to really let it soak in before putting down the hoof again.

If you do that every other day or so, you'll have no thrush. I start ahead of time. if I know rain is on the forecast, I'll koppertox the day before.

airhorse
Oct. 14, 2011, 04:25 PM
Dry Cow. Another great product is Silvetrasol.

http://www.appliedequinepodiatry.org/perfecthoofwear/Silvetrasol.html

Fabulous for routine upkeep and will knock out the nasty buggers too.

Appsolute
Oct. 14, 2011, 05:37 PM
My mare is really prone to thrush, here are my tips for keeping it at bay:

1. The hoof needs to be cleared of any flaps, folds or creases where thrush loves to thrive. If the frog has become peel-y etc from thrush damage you (or your farrier) need to clean up the frog to minimize the places for thrush to thrive. Same goes with the sole, if it is grown out and “flaky” with fissures and crevices, it needs to be trimmed and cleaned up.

2. Thorough hoof picking. Not only do I have a hoof pick, but I also use an awl to get into small or deep crevices and removed debris. I use a good stiff WIRE BRUSH daily, all over the bottom of the hoof. This lets you get the sole and frog very clean, and ready for treatment (also helps remove dead material).

3. Treatment. You want to kill the thrush, without killing new healthy material. I like Thrush Remedy by Absorbine. It kills the thrush, and encourages exfoliation of the sole. This helps further remove the infected material, and get healthy sole / frog going. If I am not using Thrush Remedy, I like strong iodine on the sole and frog. I will some times put it in a spray bottle, and spray the bottom of the foot as a preventative.

4. Feed. Make sure your horse is getting all it needs. I had kept my horse on a hoof supplement (Smart Hoof or Grand Hoof), and took her off for a bit, as I didn’t think it “did any thing”, that was a mistake! She started getting thrush again when off of the supplement.. back on she goes.

Good luck!

Coreene
Oct. 14, 2011, 10:08 PM
White Lightining www.grandcircuitinc.com

Petstorejunkie
Oct. 14, 2011, 10:19 PM
White Lightining www.grandcircuitinc.com

:yes:

dangerbunny
Oct. 15, 2011, 03:20 PM
I had an issue with thrush this summer, tried multiple things to clear it up but what worked best was supplementing with copper. The mare had badly neglected feet and crappy looking frogs when I got her this summer and after taking down the flares and adding a copper supplement from Uckele they look almost normal. So worth checking to see if your horse is getting adequate amounts.

farriersgirl
Oct. 17, 2011, 08:44 AM
I found this at my local feed store, tried thrush buster, bleach and water spray, powders, etc. This stuff really works!

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=55f20349-643f-4833-9a1d-b43d52e59e25

Carol O
Oct. 17, 2011, 08:55 PM
I get good results with tea tree oil. It is available at health food stores, and walmart (about $8.00 bottle there).

No Velvet, I am not advertising for walmart.

On occasion, I have packed the thrushy area with a cotton ball or a bit of gauze pre-treated with with tea tree. This has worked very well for me. I have heard good things about the thrush buster product too.

Good luck! My experience with thrush is that one controls it, but rarely cures it. It is always there waiting for the right conditions to flourish.

Swishy-Tails
Oct. 18, 2011, 12:01 AM
cheapest and effective remedy:

apple cider vinegar. I have seen great results. It does not damage the hoof like bleach but the results are actually a healthy hoof. It's also not nasty chemicals but all natural for the most part.

If it's real bad, get a little tub and use 1 parts ACV and 1 parts warm water. Let the hoof soak in this for about 5 minutes. Make sure you pick the hoof out really well before doing this obviously. I keep my ACV in one of those ketchup bottles that don't actually come with ketchup in them that I got at the dollar tree. You can also scrub all the grime and dirt out of the hoof with just water and a grooming water brush before as well to make sure you get it really clean.

The only con is that your horse might smell a tiny bit like pickles..lol.

Note: make sure you purchase real apple cider vinegar and not white distilled vinegar that is only colored caramel and scented to smell like apple cider vinegar. read the ingredients to make sure its the real stuff.

No $13 stupid tiny bottles of thrush buster or $8 (?) bottles of Coppertox wasted, but rather a $3 gallon jug of apple cider vinegar that lasts months or longer depend on how fast you use it.

I am really surprised that more people don't use ACV for all the great uses it's good for.

Jocko
Oct. 18, 2011, 01:33 AM
Make sure you are dealing with thrush and not something else. If the hoof bleeds, it is not thrush.

PM me for more info.