PDA

View Full Version : What's with all the advertising today?

Velvet
Oct. 6, 2011, 12:04 PM
Some are for Ugg boots? Others for eBay? What has been turned off on the COTH forums that blocks these types of spam? :no:

Something is amiss here...

quietann
Oct. 6, 2011, 12:16 PM
I've noticed more spam in my gmail and yahoo accounts, too. My guess is that nothing's been turned off, but the spammers have figured out yet another way to get around a site's spam filters, and the good guys haven't caught up and killed it yet.

Velvet
Oct. 6, 2011, 12:24 PM
I always wonder who exactly falls for the spam. I mean, a large portion of society must if it's such a big business and they spend so much time invested in it. Really odd. It's like the Nigerian scams. Seriously? Who would go for that--I mean, especially now after everyone knows what's going on because it's been talked about to death? Who, excactly, are their victims? Out here it wouldn't be grandpa and grandma. So who do they think would fall for it or want to see it?

furlong47
Oct. 6, 2011, 12:57 PM
So who do they think would fall for it or want to see it?

Sadly and surprisingly, a LOT of people do. :rolleyes: There are many out there who see dollar signs and instantly lose all common sense. I work for a news organization and our consumer reporter hears all the time from people who either a) already fell for it or b) want to know if such and such is a scam (it always is)

netg
Oct. 6, 2011, 01:47 PM
My mom's one. I have to sit there waving at her to SHUT UP when she gets phone calls from sales people and starts telling them about her financial situation, address, age, etc.

I then have to google numbers from caller ID and call the numbers I find online to tell people if they show up at the house I'm calling the cops after they "make appointments." It's SCARY. And also why I won't let her live alone anymore...

It's totally preying on the ignorant or overly trusting.

In my mom's case, I've actually finally trained her not to click on the unknown, so when I sent her an email from my phone she wouldn't open it for fear it was a dangerous link. :lol:

Velvet
Oct. 6, 2011, 01:53 PM
My mom's one. I have to sit there waving at her to SHUT UP when she gets phone calls from sales people and starts telling them about her financial situation, address, age, etc.

I then have to google numbers from caller ID and call the numbers I find online to tell people if they show up at the house I'm calling the cops after they "make appointments." It's SCARY. And also why I won't let her live alone anymore...

It's totally preying on the ignorant or overly trusting.

In my mom's case, I've actually finally trained her not to click on the unknown, so when I sent her an email from my phone she wouldn't open it for fear it was a dangerous link. :lol:

You just reminded me of what happened with my mother. She has a horrible financial advisor who talked her into reinvesting in some stocks that my sister and I had her pull out of around the market crash. She said it was fine and he told her it was smart. I then had to explain that he gets PAID for every switch in her investments that he makes. She didn't realize that for some reason, and now she's irked with them. I'd rather have her angry and not talk talk to the guy than be stupid and lose money.

Funny, she hangs up on sales calls and gets really mad at them. But a financial advisor MUST be trustworthy in her mind. :rolleyes:

Velvet
Oct. 6, 2011, 01:54 PM
Oops, better keep this dressage related! Um, how about more talk about scammers going after dressage people like the email I got about a bunch of horses being delivered to my home (not barn) and I'd have to pay the shipper? :lol:

netg
Oct. 6, 2011, 01:55 PM
Oops, better keep this dressage related! Um, how about more talk about scammers going after dressage people like the email I got about a bunch of horses being delivered to my home (not barn) and I'd have to pay the shipper? :lol:

Now THAT's funny.

MyssMyst
Oct. 6, 2011, 02:05 PM
It might just be that holidays are coming up. At my company, we've noticed a massive increase in phishing attacks. And that's pretty normal this time of year. People go crazy for the next few months, and caution gets thrown to the wind. Scammers/phishers know this and use it.

carolprudm
Oct. 6, 2011, 03:01 PM

Well there was this Saudi prince who wanted me to teach his son on my beautiful estate......