PDA

View Full Version : crosspost- saddle twists

*Teddy*
Oct. 5, 2011, 01:41 PM
Hi, planning ahead for my upgrade saddle and was wondering about twists.

I have ra and hurt my hip awhile ago and it hasnt been the same.

In your experience would a narrow or wide twist work?

alibi_18
Oct. 5, 2011, 02:40 PM
Only you and your as.s can tell! :D

Petstorejunkie
Oct. 5, 2011, 02:43 PM
Twists are very personal so its hard for strangers to answer. I would think with RA a too narrow twist would be less painful than too wide.

colorfan
Oct. 5, 2011, 02:55 PM
I am pretty sure a twist that is average or narrow would feel better for you.
That said since there doesn't seem to be a standard for sizing twists, saddle width or seat size every brand, indeed every style of saddle seems to have their own standard so how to find that correct size is try and try another one, and another one and.......

*Teddy*
Oct. 5, 2011, 06:39 PM
If it helps im looking at a excelle piaffe or used schlesse

stryder
Oct. 5, 2011, 06:43 PM
Maybe applicable: twist and waist. I didn't realize there's a difference. :no: So I have a very nice saddle with a medium twist and narrow waist. One hip doesn't get the support it needs (I have DJD) and it hurts so bad I can't ride more than a few minutes.

So now I've borrowed a saddle with a narrow twist, wider waist, that has a memory foam seat. I am in heaven. :)

KateWooten
Oct. 5, 2011, 06:47 PM
Some companies will promise you a narrow twist, regardless of the angle at the points. But if you think about the geometry, if you have a wide horse, you can only get a narrow twist by building up the sitting point above the horse. Your choice... close to the horse, or narrow twist. Because your legs have to reach the horse's widest point eventually, no matter where that angle starts.

*Teddy*
Oct. 6, 2011, 10:19 AM
Thanks,

does anyone have experience with excelle saddles, kieffer? or would trying to find a decent price on a used schlesse?

*Teddy*
Oct. 6, 2011, 10:22 AM
Forgot to add have ridden in chelderics and love them but dont think they eould fit the horse im thinking of(narrow and ginormus withers)

Du Hast
Oct. 6, 2011, 06:08 PM
When I started riding english I had a regular twist.. I could never get a correct position cuz it killed my hips. I fought with that stupid saddle for years ( no one ever told me, hey it could be the twist...and I wasnt smart enough to figure it out myself)
I bought a used saddle 2 months ago to ride my greenie in...and oh. my! the twist is super narrow and for the first time my hips dont hurt, I can actually lengthen my leg... its awesome :)
best of luck on your new saddle shopping