PDA

View Full Version : Non-slip dressage pad

kitten_Val
Oct. 2, 2011, 09:41 PM
I know Ecogold and Barnsby(?) make them. Are there other on market as well? Any experience with Ecogold and/or Barnsby?

Thank you!

2tempe
Oct. 2, 2011, 11:57 PM
I have two of the Barnsby pads, and love the way they work. BUT I hate the fact that I can only get them at a halfway reasonable price in WHITE from Smart Pak. They are tricky to keep clean as you aren't supposed to use bleach, not supposed to go in the dryer, etc.
I actually soak the bottom part in bleach water before washing, but after breaking in a new saddle w/ them, neither is "show appropriate" at this point. Prewash in Oxyclean helps too. I'll have to find a plan B soon as Florida show season is approaching...

Waiting to see what other responses show up

Hampton Bay
Oct. 3, 2011, 12:29 AM
Barnsby pads are aweome. A friend had several to keep her saddle from sliding up her Arab's neck. Her's got so much use that I ended up sewing suede elbow patches to the spot where your leg goes to give them a bit longer lifespan.

If you can't find them in anything but white, you could always buy some fabric dye and dye them some other color. They do make them in black though. Have you asked SP about stocking them in black?

kitten_Val
Oct. 3, 2011, 07:51 AM
Thanks, folks! Yes, I've seen them in SP and the fact they are in white what makes me to ask about other brands. Haha. I have problems even keeping my black pads to look clean.

WB Mom
Oct. 3, 2011, 08:06 AM
Try a Fenwick Bamboo Pad. They are completely non-slip and come in off white. They wash up wonderfully!
BTW, to get my white saddle pads really white I use the cheap Wal-Mart diswashing detergent in addition to my regular detergent. It works GREAT!

kitten_Val
Oct. 3, 2011, 08:13 AM
After some research... http://www.ehorseequipment.com/product.aspx?return=search&no=615400&sort=&page=&cid= (seems to come in black too!). Also looks like eBay offers one in black (should be shipped from UK, however price + shipping together are about same as in Smartpack).

kitten_Val
Oct. 3, 2011, 08:14 AM
Try a Fenwick Bamboo Pad. They are completely non-slip and come in off white. They wash up wonderfully!

Never heard about them... Gonna google up now! :)

Edit: Wow! They are much cheaper. So are they indeed non-slip? I have issues with saddle sliding forward (yes, saddle fitter came out, it fits, but she sweats A LOT and the whole thing just moves up the spine on her very wide canter). I do have Ecogold for jumping BTW (was talked into it by my then trainer), but it costs leg and arm :( ).

kitten_Val
Oct. 3, 2011, 08:18 AM
And BTW, thank you, All, for sharing! :)

happyhorsegirl
Oct. 3, 2011, 08:27 AM
"Success" makes an ecogold knock-off that works well. VTO still has a sale on them (or closeout deal) I believe, they are under 50 bucks apiece so I picked up 2. I think they work just as well as my ecogold one.

kitten_Val
Oct. 3, 2011, 08:55 AM
"Success" makes an ecogold knock-off that works well. VTO still has a sale on them (or closeout deal) I believe, they are under 50 bucks apiece so I picked up 2. I think they work just as well as my ecogold one.

Huh! You ARE right. :) I'm thinking about getting one there and one bamboo to see which one is the best.

Hampton Bay
Oct. 3, 2011, 10:14 AM
My friend who has to use the Barnsby Grip did find a saddle that really fit her Arab, and the sliding up the neck did stop with that saddle. Unfortunately, he passed right before she was able to order the right size for her. The saddle was a Fairfax in the broadback/cob. Same as the Thorowgood, but in leather and with an external block. You might try that. He went much better in it than in his County that "fit" with the Barnsby Grip and a mohair girth. She was able to leave the girth a bit looser even and not have the saddle slide.

If it's really sliding, it doesn't fit perfectly. I've been there and done that with my Arab too, finally found a Lauriche that I can leave the girth loose on, and it doesn't budge. Horse is much happier.

kitten_Val
Oct. 3, 2011, 10:21 AM
My friend who has to use the Barnsby Grip did find a saddle that really fit her Arab, and the sliding up the neck did stop with that saddle. Unfortunately, he passed right before she was able to order the right size for her. The saddle was a Fairfax in the broadback/cob. Same as the Thorowgood, but in leather and with an external block. You might try that. He went much better in it than in his County that "fit" with the Barnsby Grip and a mohair girth. She was able to leave the girth a bit looser even and not have the saddle slide.

If it's really sliding, it doesn't fit perfectly. I've been there and done that with my Arab too, finally found a Lauriche that I can leave the girth loose on, and it doesn't budge. Horse is much happier.

Actually the saddle sits fine till she starts to sweat (she does a lot). And then my quite used-up cheap pad starts to slide. I wonder if it's wear out (as I can barely see those "cells" on back of it anymore), but it's not THAT old (just may be couple years or so).

WB Mom
Oct. 3, 2011, 02:32 PM
The Fenwicks do not slip at all. The top is an ultra suede like material, very soft, yet sticky at the same time. They are super easy to clean, hair doesn't stick to them and they really, really breathe. I rode yesterday in the outdoor, then went on a long trail ride. Granted it's not as hot as it has been, but when I took the pad off it felt only slightly damp.
Good luck with your search!

kitten_Val
Oct. 4, 2011, 08:22 AM
The Fenwicks do not slip at all. The top is an ultra suede like material, very soft, yet sticky at the same time. They are super easy to clean, hair doesn't stick to them and they really, really breathe. I rode yesterday in the outdoor, then went on a long trail ride. Granted it's not as hot as it has been, but when I took the pad off it felt only slightly damp.
Good luck with your search!

Thanks, WB Mom! I actually ordered one Fenwick and one Success (the one on closeout) yesterday. Waiting for them to come! :)

2tempe
Oct. 4, 2011, 09:32 AM
Thanks, WB Mom! I actually ordered one Fenwick and one Success (the one on closeout) yesterday. Waiting for them to come! :)

I'm halfway through this process! I'm still stuck w/ white but at least have options...
Re the black Barnsby, I know it is available from the UK, but (call me crazy) I dont want to order stuff from abroad unless I have to - like my saddle.

I would love to go back a zillion years and SMACK whoever decided that white was a good color to use when riding horses...

Also thanks for the dish soap idea - Can you put that type of soap in a front loader? And are you talking stuff like Dawn or the stuff like Cascade that goes in the machine? Unrelated, but cascade really works well cleaning tile grout!

kitten_Val
Oct. 4, 2011, 10:13 AM
I'm halfway through this process! I'm still stuck w/ white but at least have options...
Re the black Barnsby, I know it is available from the UK, but (call me crazy) I dont want to order stuff from abroad unless I have to - like my saddle.

I would love to go back a zillion years and SMACK whoever decided that white was a good color to use when riding horses...

Also thanks for the dish soap idea - Can you put that type of soap in a front loader? And are you talking stuff like Dawn or the stuff like Cascade that goes in the machine? Unrelated, but cascade really works well cleaning tile grout!

Bahahahahahahahahaha....

Fenwick doesn't come in black, but dark grey is OK with me for every day ride (unfortunately Success is white only). I have one white (cotton) pad for every day and God it is dirty looking (washing doesn't seem to help much)!

2tempe
Oct. 4, 2011, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the Grey recommendation - will try one in that color! Now for those who are into colors and what looks good w/ what, I will point out that grey is probably not the best match w/ my chestnut mare, but hey, considering the colors I ride in, one might observe that i'm not much into the matchy matchy thing...
And quite frankly, the horse doesn't give a darn about her colors - only her food.

WB Mom
Oct. 4, 2011, 02:42 PM
I'm talking about the el cheapo powdered dishwashing detergent at Wal-Mart. I just dump it in (I have an HE washer) in addition to my regular detergent. It really works great!

kitten_Val
Oct. 4, 2011, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the Grey recommendation - will try one in that color! Now for those who are into colors and what looks good w/ what, I will point out that grey is probably not the best match w/ my chestnut mare, but hey, considering the colors I ride in, one might observe that i'm not much into the matchy matchy thing...
And quite frankly, the horse doesn't give a darn about her colors - only her food.

I ordered mine from http://www.tackroomonline.com/browse.cfm/fenwick-bamboo-saddle-pad/4,2638.html yesterday. Shipping is free and they had a promotion that if you order for the 1st time and over $65 you get 10% off (so I added a brush on top of pad :) ). They already shipped it (should arrive tomorrow, so I'm really waiting...).

P.S. My mare is sorrel, but... Whatever as long as it doesn't look horribly dirty... Lol!

2tempe
Oct. 4, 2011, 04:08 PM
OK I admit for a brief moment that I got all excited about the mocha color - much better match for the girly...But alas it does not come in "dressage" so gray it will be.
Actually gray is a great color. It always looks gray, no matter what. That must be why I have so many gray t-shirts, and they're the only ones that don't advertise the fact that I CANNOT stay clean for five minutes in a barn.
AND unlike horses, gray pads stay gray, they don't turn white!

going to order now.........

WB Mom
Oct. 5, 2011, 08:28 AM
I just found out they will be bringing out the Fenwick Bamboo Pad in Black sometime next year. Good deal!!

kitten_Val
Oct. 5, 2011, 11:41 PM
I got both pads in today. Actually I really like the dark grey - more than black. And it looks quite good on my sorrel mare. The Success indeed very much like Ecogold (just 3 times cheaper), but it runs smaller (saddle still fits in, but "on edge"). So large would be a better choice (unfortunately they had only "standard" on 50% sale).