PDA

View Full Version : Coats for the long-waisted?

Heinz 57
Sep. 28, 2011, 05:12 PM
I am having a terrible time finding a coat that I really LIKE the fit of. I'm fairly long-waisted, as in the measurement from crotch to belly button. I'm not entirely sure if I have a 'tall' upper body, or if it's just the long waist that is throwing everything off when I try on a coat.

Regular length coats look too short. Long length coats seem too long, to my eye. It doesn't help that I'm also fairly slight - just a hair under 5'8" and ~130, but with a reasonable bust, so in the 'right' size for the rest of my body, I look like I'm trying to break the top button. A size up to accomodate that and the rest of me is swimming.

Frankly, it just makes me feel ugly. I know I can't be the only person shaped like this, so I'd love to hear others experiences. I can't really rationalize the cost of a Pikeur off the rack, either.

Velvet
Sep. 28, 2011, 05:33 PM
Try some Pikeurs. I had to try a bunch on and finally found one that fit. They must manufacture in China, I swear. At least this time it worked for me. All of them were different even within the different styles. I ended up with the Diana. They have a longer cut and it worked with my long waist.

SBrentnall
Sep. 29, 2011, 12:21 AM
I second Velvet's recommendation to spring for the Pikeur. I'm 5'8" and 120lbs, with a very long waist. Almost all breeches are low-rise on me :)

The Pikeur Diana fits me perfectly and always looks elegant.

Here's how it looks:
http://mgequinephoto.zenfolio.com/p435014441/h112d13b9#h3d44ba99

Perfect Pony
Sep. 29, 2011, 10:32 AM
I'll make it 3. Found a size 6 washable Diana on ebay for $100, it is looong, especially from the bottom button to the bottom of the coat. Lovely coat too.

mildot
Sep. 29, 2011, 11:36 AM
Buy one to accomodate your bust and then have the rest tailored to fit. Kinda simple, really.

Perfect Pony
Sep. 29, 2011, 11:40 AM
Buy one to accomodate your bust and then have the rest tailored to fit. Kinda simple, really.

Simple, unless it's too short.

mildot
Sep. 29, 2011, 12:56 PM
Simple, unless it's too short.

From the OP:

so in the 'right' size for the rest of my body, I look like I'm trying to break the top button. A size up to accomodate that and the rest of me is swimming.

I doubt too short a coat is the problem.

HCF
Sep. 29, 2011, 06:18 PM
I third (fourth??) the Pikeur, specifically the Diana. I am 5'10", 130lbs and very long waisted, as well. The Diana gives me the best fit by far. Also, others are correct. Fit the coat to your bust and have the rest tailored for the perfect fit! :yes:

paintlady
Sep. 30, 2011, 10:11 AM
I can't really rationalize the cost of a Pikeur off the rack, either.

Pikeurs are easily found used - try a consignment shop or eBay. Our local consignment shop, Middleburg Tack Exchange (http://middleburgtack.com/) always has a few Pikeurs in stock - usually for $200 or less.

I'm also 5'8" and 130 lbs. I like the fit of my Eurofit show coat. I'm only a 34A though, so I don't have issues with fitting my bust. I agree that you should get a jacket that fits your bust and then let a tailor fix the rest.

Velvet
Sep. 30, 2011, 11:15 AM
Pikeurs are easily found used - try a consignment shop or eBay. Our local consignment shop, Middleburg Tack Exchange (http://middleburgtack.com/) always has a few Pikeurs in stock - usually for $200 or less.

Yeah, but we're all saying the Diana is the best and are suggesting she start there. The other Pikeurs didn't fit me as well as the Diana. I think she should start there. Ebay doesn't always allow for returns, so it's not always a deal. I suggest going to a tack store and getting the right fit. If you have on nearby, go there and try some on. If not, then deal with one online and send them your measurements and see what they can find for you (like Dressage Extensions). IF you don't like their prices and they won't negotiate down to match one you've seen elsewhere, you can always order it somewhere else and just use them for customer service. But remember, pay it back in the future and order something else from them. :D

SBrentnall
Sep. 30, 2011, 11:18 AM
You also have to take into account how long a well-made coat lasts. I bought my Pikeur Diana in 1999 and it still looks brand new. I fully expect to be wearing it for at least another ten years.

Perfect Pony
Sep. 30, 2011, 11:52 AM
From the OP:

I doubt too short a coat is the problem.

She said in her posts that regular length is too short. But going a size up and long is too long. I was just making the point that the Diana in a regular length is long from the last button down. I have the same problem as the OP and the Diana looks as if it was made for me.

SBF
Oct. 1, 2011, 11:45 AM
I am long-waisted and also wear a Pikeur Diana.

mildot
Oct. 1, 2011, 07:44 PM
She said in her posts that regular length is too short. But going a size up and long is too long. I was just making the point that the Diana in a regular length is long from the last button down. I have the same problem as the OP and the Diana looks as if it was made for me.

Understood.

It all depends on what is easier and most cost effective.

Stratosphere
Oct. 19, 2011, 04:19 PM
Just wanted to add that I also rec the Pikeur Diana for this. I am a hair under 6' tall and very long waisted, wear a size 4L in my US suit jackets (J Crew, Tahari, Banana Republic, for example) and the Diana in a 10L works perfectly.

I ordered mine from Calevo.com (they're in Germany, I'm in CA) and it was SO MUCH cheaper than anything in the US. Right now the USD-Euro exchange rate is good, too, so even better! Shipping was only about $25 and I took the opportunity to order some low-cost Pikeur breeches too (they have a great sale section and their prices on the non-sale Pikeurs are still amazing--I seriously don't know why anyone would buy Pikeur stuff here in the US if you know your size).

Mine did take forever, because I ordered velvet collar with silver piping (no extra cost so I couldn't resist), which they had to wait for Pikeur to make, but if you order from in-stock inventory, they are super fast.

Frantisi1
Oct. 28, 2011, 09:30 AM
Hi,

The Pikeur Diana is a great choice. Grand Prix will also do Special order jackets. The Store can measure your nape to waist length and the overall length for the perfect fit. ( This puts the waist of the coat in the exact right spot. and give you the finished length you want. Their are several style and fabric choices too.

Heinz 57
Oct. 28, 2011, 12:03 PM
Hi,

The Pikeur Diana is a great choice. Grand Prix will also do Special order jackets. The Store can measure your nape to waist length and the overall length for the perfect fit. ( This puts the waist of the coat in the exact right spot. and give you the finished length you want. Their are several style and fabric choices too.

Interesting - is this any store that carries Grand Prix, or only specialty stores? Does Grand Prix make dressage-type jackets? I've only ever seen their hunt coats (and have owned many of them!). They do tend to fit me better than RJ's.